Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Helicopter Engines?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Helicopter Engines?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
rwbennett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter Engines?

Guys this may be a silly question, but one I've been thinking about none the less. With the options for truely high performance "45" size engines limited to Rossi or costly Nelson/Jetts....would there be an option to use a helicopter 50 size engine in an airplane application.

I would love to get my hands on a NIB YS 45..but seems like they are few and far in between. But YS does make a 50 size helicopter engine and that has me thinking. Could this be used on my speed delta with a 9-8 prop and tuned pipe? From pics looks like it just needs a prop drive and washer.

Also given even the cheapest heli engines run in the high rpm band, they could also be used?...OS, TT, Etc.

I know there's GMS, Tower, Supertigre etc out there with 45 size engines...but nothing like the old YS45....and I just can't sneak a $300.00 engine past the wife. Can pick up a helicopter engine for about $200.00. If this is a totally dumb idea, I can always do as initially planned and go with a new Rossi 45 and full length macs tuned pipe.

what do you think?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Helicopter Engines?

The heli engines actually work nicely --- as you noted, the better ones are timed for higher rpm these days.

I sympathize with the money vs wife thing.

But keep in mind.... to your $200 heli engine you will have to add a $70 tuned muffler or pipe setup to truely take advantage of the power and develop the rpm and torque needed for the aero application. Without the exhaust system --- you might as well be using a TT46pro or OS50 aero engine to start with. Plus for most heli-engines you will need a special shaft-extention nut - the output shafts are often too short for a prop hub... thats another $10-20.

Retired or re-built heli engines are sometimes a good value. There were a bunch of YS80 and OS70 engines floating around fairly cheap for a while. With the right exhaust system and suitable prop .... they have some good higher rpm/speed potential.

Speaking of which... since you are on a budget... one of my favorite combos.... TT46pro and Jett-stream.
For most .40-.50 size Q-500, deltas, shrikes, etc it is a performance/$$ setup that is hard to beat.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43204.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	824193  
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have seen YS 90 size helicopter engines and others for sale and wondered the same thing.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

You just got to keep your eyes open and look at adds here and EBay. I just won this YS 45 with pipe and header on RCU for $145. By the looks of it, the engine may never had seen full power, the header looks way long. Ive scored 4 of these engines this year and 2 are NIB and could of had more, just wasnt in the mood. This is about the going price for NIB or used with pipe.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=347570
Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

I snaged this from another forum (tachometer readings):

RE: Ys 45 2-stroke - 8/26/2007 8:07:43 PM
sydc

I have recently converted a YS91st to aero, I believe that the 91st is a bored out 80st and should have the same output shaft threads. Here are the part numbers I used to convert the 91st with the output shaft thread of 8x1mm.

Drive washer YS part number F9323
Drive washer retainer YS Part number F9324
Reach through prop nut Tru-Turn part number TT-0813-A, (these prop nuts are designed to take the Tru-Turn alloy spinners).

Hope this helps,

Regards, SydC.

(in reply to wood489

Unquote

Would it be cheaper? I dont know, but folks are doing it. It may work for smaller engines too but you need to do your parts research here:
http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.php?lang=EN