Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

modifications on a WM Dago Red + YS110 ?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

modifications on a WM Dago Red + YS110 ?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:12 AM
roalddogge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modifications on a WM Dago Red + YS110 ?

Hi !

I was planning to build a WM 46 Dago Red with a YS110.

I was wondering what the minimal modifications are I will need to do to keep it in one piece. So far I was thinking of: glasfiber/epoxy on the middle section of the wing, strengthen the horizontal stab, sealing hinges

How will the cg come out with the normal placement of the rc equipment ? is it an idea to move the elevator servo to the tail ?

What kind of propellor ?

I am not planning to do a huge rebuild, just want to see how quick it will go with minimal mods.

Thanks in advance

Ro
Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: modifications on a WM Dago Red + YS110 ?

Reinforce the firewall to fuselage bond. I had a Dago Red that had te firewall pull loose with a Jett 60,
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

1.10 on the 46 sized Dago? Ouch! KUDOS for trying it sir---

I did fly a TF Gold Ed. (60 sized) with a YS-1.20 on it and uh...WOW! The entire plane was glassed so it was a boat anchor- As long as I had power it flew great just landed a bit "hot".

I would glass and pin the firewall, glass a BIG section in the center of the wing and also use flying tail-wires to strengthen the vert and horiz. stabs assemblies.

No guts no glory!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:16 AM
MicroDat

You don't have to do much, the dago is the strongest built of the 46 size WM stangs. Here what you need to do:

- Dremel out some of the ribs in the fuse to fit a 16 to 24 oz tank so that the CG of the tank is on the CG of the plane.
- Don't use the nylon spaces for the engine mounts, just use the actual mounts as you will need all the space you can get to get the correct firewall to prop distance.
- Make sure you glue the spar on correctly in the wing, that is the most import step in building this plane.
- Don't use the stock spinner, it will break off and might cause you to crash. Instead, buy the 3.25" Great Planes spinner.
- Replace the stock bolts at the wing saddle (where you mount the wings onto the fuse) with 1/4" nylon bolts. You can either replace the stock blind nuts with 1/4" or tap the wood to fit the 1/4" nylons.

Optional:
- The stock configuration uses only one push rod on the elevator, some people (myself included) like to turn the single push rod into a Y push rod so that each elevator halves get a push rod.

Here are some vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrmH...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvkDZQB3X8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdjdiNJao5M
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Billville

Don't let anybody scare you about a 110 in the WM .46 warbird. It's a perfect combo - no nasty habits, flys great and lands fine.

There are tricks to make them hold up. Some guys ca and baking soda the firewall and cowl area. Also, shim the rear of the gear block with a popsicle stick or equivalent thickness to move the wheels forward to help with noseovers.

Here's a video. Most of the planes are WM .46 warbirds with YS 110's. They are the most popular combination at our field. Bill

http://www.nanoplanes.net/warbirds-midair-collision.wmv
Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Fxrs_tim

I've got a 110 that I can stick in a Dago, but..... what do y'all think about putting a Jett 91 in it? Would it be faster and, the big question, would it still be in one piece after a full throttle run?

Tim
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would used a tru turn spinner, but then for prop clearance a 3 blade prop may be in order.

I have the have on the shelf, sold my NIB YS 110 FZ.

May buy a JETT 60LX for less weight and prop issues.

bob