Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Flying wing or pod and boom for pusher

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Flying wing or pod and boom for pusher

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:04 AM
colbourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying wing or pod and boom for pusher

I am planning on build a small fast RC model designed to go as fast as possible in a straight line powered by a Mystery 4200 25A motor using an 11.1V 1200MaH Lipo battery.
I know from experience that I often bend the 2.3mm shaft on this kind of motor, so will build a pusher.
What are the advantages of a flying wing over a pod and boom or even a Vampire jet like twin boom.
I am also considering an assymetrical pod and boom which would look ugly but might be the most efficient design.
Later I might build a twin pusher with a single boom.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Flying wing or pod and boom for pusher

colborne

An approporiate addage is "Steal from the best, and beat the rest"!! Mankind has been playing with making airplanes go fast for some 100 years now, think of that as being around that far behind the curve. Still, some of the best inovations come from everyday people, like yourself. If you want to go fast with small electrics, I suggest you spend some research time in what others have done to this time. Will save you months or years in R & D and many dollars. You should filnd that the Striker F27 and multiplex "fun jett" have been highly modified from the stock around 40-60 mph to a ripping 140 plus and climbing. If nothing else, you can save a lot of time in research on go faster motors from some very knowledgable people. I have a Mega 10/25/16-2 CC 100 amp controller, TP extreem 4S 4,000 mah battery sitting in a drawer while the Fun Jett is being modified per current research, and another one at a buddys house in the same stages. Around $600.00 in basic "stuff". If I starrted from scratch, I would invest around that each time I developed and flew the thing and wanted faster. Going fast is really much about "power". You can buy that F-27 stryker with decent stock upgrade gear for around $150.00 and get to around 80 mph. If you race Quickee 500s or similar, you should be able to handle the stryker or fun jett, both solid speed platforms. If lacking in experience, better start with something cheep that will do 80-100 mph. Its a learning curve that you don't want to start with a $1,000 bird. There is some off the shelf stuff good for around 200 mph, a Formula 1 (Q-40) Jett or Nelson powered. And yes, it takes some skills to keep the thing out of the dirt!!!!! Get going, time flys. ENJOY
Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
colbourne

Default RE: Flying wing or pod and boom for pusher

Thanks for your reply.
I was not really planning at first to go the extra power route to performance but instead trying to design a model which could achieve the highest peformance using the chosen motor.
With small high wing loading, landing speed is high and often results in bent shafts, hence the preference for a pusher design.
I am hoping to get better performance than the Fun Jet design for the same power, although that would be a good reference point.