Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Most manuverable fast plane?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Most manuverable fast plane?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Recty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most manuverable fast plane?

Hey all.

My friend and I fly together quite a bit up here in Alaska and we dont really get to see many other people flying, so I dont have a very good grasp on what is out there.

What we are looking for is a plane that has lots of speed (would be being flown with a OS FX.91) but is still good and maneuverable. Is there anything out there like that? It doesnt have to be able to harrier and such, but fast rolls and flips along with knife edge flight would be great. I realize at 100mph doing a flip takes a while, but I'd like something that can fly fast, around 100mph or faster, yet can still slow down enough and stay stable to do some slow flight acrobatics.

Is there anything that meets the needs? Price isnt really an object, I dont want a ridiculously expensive plane though, and hopefully we are talking an ARF, I'm not in the mood to put together another kit.

As far as experience goes, we are pretty experienced RC pilots, lots of time on G3 and now G4 in the winters, and we've been flying for about 10 years now in the summers.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Most manuverable fast plane?

I think an older design .60 pattern ship would actually meet all those criteria - after all they would nudge up to the 110-120 mark.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Recty

Any specific model types come to mind? That are still made in an ARF?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
darrolair

Great Planes makes Little Toni. Very fast and sleek. Your .90 will work wonderfully. My friend has one with an OS .91 four stroke. Sweeet. Hangar 9 also has a Sundowner. Both are ARF's.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is a "flip"?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Either the little Toni or the cosmic wind minnow, both sold by towerhobbies
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a look:

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2395
Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Recty:

Little Tony, Cosmic Wind, Minnow, Alley Cat are semi-scale Reno racers with a lot of compromises toward sport flyers. They are draggy, the fastest "Alley Cat" with a great Jett 90 will get you maby 100-120. Would not recommend any "flips" (snap rolls I think) at speed. My Tony wanted to keep snapping, same with Alley Cat. Loops and rolls are ok, but a little sloppy. You are sort of running backward here trying to go fast with a solid sport motor lucky to hit 13,000rpm. I think the "Intruder" with retracts would be more to your liking. If you want to go fast, find a Diamond Dust, Phenom, or other wing things and put a rever in it. They will do crazy stuff at speeds with no problem. There are several on E-bay RTF now, several new ARF's available. Remember, speed =$$$$ ENJOY
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Tr!pullCrown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive loaded mi minnow with a 65 rossi. Hopefully we will get the numbers we are looking 4. i get 14,000 on the ground on a apc11x8 so we will see
Old 09-01-2009, 04:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Most manueverable fast plane?
AMA Controlline Combat, FAI Combat, 1/2A Combat
.40 sized pylon racers doing hard 180 turns .
Outlaw Deltas tumbling and spinning.
Speed Deltas doing 180 turns and rolls faster than you can count. When the sound of the roll comes in a second after you see the plane complete the manuever.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

The most limiting factor you mention, is your desire to use the OS 91 FX because of size and weight. Id have to agree with MJD with his suggestion of a .60 pattern plane.
If you are willing to go a smaller plane and engine and you insist on an ARF, that leaves one plane that can do all the maneuvers you want and than some. That plane is the Outlaw http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/outlaw.html
To get the most of this plane use no larger than a .30 size block, like an OS 32 or a Webra 36 (preferred) http://www.swanyshouse.com/engines/engines.aspx on Macs tuned pipes.
IMHO the Orange one is the best color, the red white & blue or blue & yellow are harder to differentiate top from bottom. It looks like the only have blue & yellow in stock..call.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jump over to the classic pattern forum and someone there will help you with one of the faster .61 size pattern planes. a thin airfoil, pipe and retracts capable plane is a start.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MJD

I think an older design .60 pattern ship would actually meet all those criteria - after all they would nudge up to the 110-120 mark.
Damn, I was going to say that. It should do it while being smooth and stable too.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
daven

This thread is a year and a half old, I'm sure he's taken care of this by now
Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

The most limiting factor you mention, is your desire to use the OS 91 FX because of size and weight. Id have to agree with MJD with his suggestion of a .60 pattern plane.
If you are willing to go a smaller plane and engine and you insist on an ARF, that leaves one plane that can do all the maneuvers you want and than some. That plane is the Outlaw http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/outlaw.html
To get the most of this plane use no larger than a .30 size block, like an OS 32 or a Webra 36 (preferred) http://www.swanyshouse.com/engines/engines.aspx on Macs tuned pipes.
IMHO the Orange one is the best color, the red white & blue or blue & yellow are harder to differentiate top from bottom. It looks like the only have blue & yellow in stock..call.

Ditto Love mine with a Webra 32.

Pete
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Yak13
My Feedback: (17)

Definitely a "ballistic" pattern plane. A few of these are, all excellent:
-Banshee
-Mach 1
- Curare
-Tiporare

But the one I like the most:
Joe BridiĀ“s Mamma Mia, never kitted though. You can still get the plans, very easy construction. It is ideal for a .90

By the way, in my opinion the most fun you can have in this hobby is precisely with a fast pattern plane.