Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Need a Fast Plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 01:22 AM
f4 phantom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Fast Plane

I am looking for a fast plane,I am consitering a lanier preator or something simaliar I really don't want to go to the delta platform yet.also what is the wing loading on these types of planes.really what I need to know is how do they do on landings do you need to bring them in real hot or are they like most sport planes.any help you can give me on plane-motor- prop combinations you can give me will be appricated thanks. Steve
Old 05-01-2003, 03:15 AM
CONTENDER

Default Need a fast plane

F4,
I have just finished a predator, and have about 6 fights on it so far. Don't even give it a second thought...buy one!!! It has to be the best buy for a fast plane I've seen.
It's a excellent quality ARF..with just the right density of wood use for each location. It goes together fast, using standard radio equipment, and is easy to fly and land.
But it is not a beginners kit....depending on the engine you use, it can be very fast!. You have to stay ahead of it at all times, and don't take your eyes off it for a minute! With the small v tail and the one color, (put more colors on it!!) , it' harder to follow than a regular sport plane.
I'm using a Max 46FX with a 9X8 Master Airscrew.( I know... there are better props, but this will last longer on my paved runway.), and a Mac's muffler.
I have no idea how fast it's going, but it handles all the speed I have thrown it with ease. (Be sure to seal all the hinge gaps.)
The v-tail throws are fine, but the ailerons are verrrry slow with the listed throws. ( Fine for racing, but slow for sport)
This is a great speed value!!! It will rip with any motor you have, and is really fun to show off with!!
Grab one, and post how you like it.
I'd love to see someone try one with a hot piped Jett. I really thing it would be as fast as these high buck deltas. It may not look as streamlined as a Magnum or Whiplash...But look at the fastest Top Fuel Drag cars.....???
Good Luck CONTENDER
Old 05-01-2003, 04:21 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default hmmm..

I am gonna get a Predator one of these days-

Have you thought about a Patriot, or DC F-20, also the Lanier F-4 is quick- (based on your name )

These at least look like planes

james
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	74916_6032.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	44884  
Old 05-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MAGNUM: ~315.00 plane engine pipe and spinner:
With an 8x9 APC my buddy is pulling 170 mph or better
note the plane is small and you could lose it if you blink.

the Q-500 planes offer more wing area and wingspan much higher visibility great choice for 1st speed plane.

I have a whiplash with Jett FIRE 50. It is fast too.....just fixed my fuel foaming problem and will burn a hole in the sky when the rain stops
Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM
toto_sal

f4,

I also have a Predator. Contender is absolutely right with respects on what a speed plane is all about. I have an OS46FX with APC Pylon props 8x8.75 and it hauls @130mph!!! Dont take your eyes off of it though. I have just ordered another Predator, but this time I will be installing a Sport Jett .46 on it for further speed capabilities, maybe in the 170mph range.

Best of luck

http://www.cas.com.sv/memberdetail.asp?memberid=49
Old 05-02-2003, 10:05 PM
jwoolridge

I personally found my lanier F4 a good nice plane. It's fast but not to fast and once setup right it's a dream to fly. A word of caution though CHECK the CG I didn't on the first flight and found it real hard to land. When I checked it the CG it was 4" from the LE it's spose to be 7". I got the plane back in one piece but it was a challange. I know have the CG at 6.5" and thats alright but I will move it back when I get some lead to see if that helps a bit. If you do decide on this plane don't take your eyes of it especially in clouds cause the plane is all gray.
As for the predator one of the guys in my club has one and says it flys nice. Although he finds recomended ailerons slow and has a problem with the fuel system (probably foaming).
The F4 looks better but the predator is faster. Let us know what you get and how you set it up.
James
Old 05-05-2003, 05:18 PM
SteveTrofemuk

Default Dominator

I just bought a Lanier Dominator which seems to be the build up version of the Predator ARF. I plan to power it with an OS .30 Wankel I had lying around. I may not get the performance of a hot .46, but it should be fun.

Choose the kit because there was no engine cowl and front end requires very very little modification to mount the wankel.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:27 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Wankle on a Dominator.....

Now thats not something you see every day.

Just curious how much does the Wankle weigh in comparison to an O.S. .46fx?

If its heavier, you may want to consider working on adding weight to the tail. The .46 is a bit heavy for this plane even with a backplate mount.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:43 AM
SteveTrofemuk

Default Wankel

The wankel is 11.8 oz, the OS FX .46 is 13.2 oz. The rated HP of the .46 is 1.59 @ 16000. The rated HP of the wankel is 1.27 @ 17000. So I recon their comparable. Of course, the wankel will burn fuel faster then the .46.

I have heard of people getting 2.0 HP out of the wankel, but have no proof.

I've had 3 RX-7s (loved them all) and helped build an RV-4 with a Mazda 13B wankel. All worked well and I've been impressed with the wankel.

I admit their are better motors. But the wankel is a work of art. It is smoother then any piston engine, higher reving, produces huge amounts of torque, and idles well.

It's got a very high "COOL" factor.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Joeytrain

Default Faster

I have a Tower Hobbies Trainer with a OS 46 LA on it.
It burns a hole in the sky.
Trying to land it without crashing it because of its blazing
speed.

I highly recommend one of these trainers.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:58 PM
f4 phantom

Thanks for the replys guys,I just got my new Predator,so now I need to know a good set-up and if there are any mods.I should do while putting it together. I'm going to power it with a 45 super tigre.it sure does look like a nice plane.thanks for the help.Steve
Old 05-10-2003, 04:31 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

There have been quite a few Predator Tips mentioned.

We actually list some on our racing site.

Check out www.ncplracing.org
Old 05-18-2003, 05:19 PM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Faster

Originally posted by Joe Mad
I have a Tower Hobbies Trainer with a OS 46 LA on it.
It burns a hole in the sky.
Trying to land it without crashing it because of its blazing
speed.

I highly recommend one of these trainers.

Yes, if you can get it off the ground; it doesnt seem to be fast enough to do that, though.