Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot XL Engine, Retract choice

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot XL Engine, Retract choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Syed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot XL Engine, Retract choice

Hi there,

I am half way in completing my patriot xl. After reading the post on the following link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19..._1/key_/tm.htm

I am not sure which engine or retract to order. I was thinking of buying OS 91 or Saito 100. But after reading the above post I came across another option. What is the difference between these three manufacturers beside price.

In case of retracts, the construction manual that comes with the kit recommends using Robart retracts. Which is better to use, robart retracts or spring air retracts or are there other options.

I realy appreicate your response

Thank you
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Patriot XL Engine, Retract choice

I would go with either a YS 1.10 if you want a four stroke. If you
want more speed go with a Jett .90L. The OS 90 or Saito 1.00 will
only deliver mediocre performance at best. []

Go with spring airs, not mechanical retracts.

FBD.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I would also go with the spring Air. I am in the process of changing my retracts to
spring air now.Just give them are call they are great people to deal with.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Get the 3-gear set from Cermark made for F16 propjet. It can be made to fit nicely if you have not built the gear areas on your wings yet. IT's only 96 bucks for complete set. Spring air will work but twice the cost.
Please don't put a 4 stroke motor on a propjet. That's crime against humanity. You want a motor with high pitch sound. Besides, 4 stroke motor is too heavy and looks funny up front of that narrow area. Use your OS 91 fx and add Jettstream muffler and you're ready to hit some high speed passes.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: kmtranmd

Get the 3-gear set from Cermark made for F16 propjet. It can be made to fit nicely if you have not built the gear areas on your wings yet. IT's only 96 bucks for complete set. Spring air will work but twice the cost.
That is why I am changing mine ou..t $96.00 is a nice price for retracts but you get what you pay for

Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

spring airs sell for $150 a set for a plane this size. with outstanding quality and service, that's not a lot more to pay. spring air retracts are one of the few products that are universally praised throughout this website. they sell themselves.

david
Old 04-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I would not consider a four stroke for the Pat he needs rpm and not so much torque, would recommend a Jett 90 rear exh. if they have them .
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I've flown my Cermark F16 with those $96 gears for 2 seasons now, off grass runway, with no problems. I paid $225 for spring air set made for the Patriot XL, not worth double the price. That's my experience.