Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

World Models Nemesis which way to go?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

World Models Nemesis which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
SilverSeven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Nemesis which way to go?

So I'm building a Nemesis, gorgeous plane I have to say. Fit and finish is probably an 8, not perfect, but great for a cheap ARF.

Anyway, I want some good speed with this thing for my local open class races, and I just don't have enough experience with planes like this to know what I really need. I'm going to maiden with an E-Flite Power 46 on 5s. I know this will be plenty of power to fly the plane like a sport scale plane should, but is this motor going to get any speed? The only super fast electrics this size that I've seen were geared in-runners, with enough pitch can an out-runner get up there near the 150 mark? Or is an in-runner the way to go for electric speed?

I also have access to a rear carb OPS 60 and pipe. I'm wondering if I shouldn't appropriate that and start figuring out a pipe tunnel right now, to be able to get the speeds that I want. Even the chunky OPS should weight in less than the electric conversion and I know that will get the revs that I need, but I really would light to keep it electric for the cleanliness and the fact that I won't have to hack up that uber-sexy cowl.

Any advice here would be super.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: World Models Nemesis which way to go?

An OPS 60 RIRE may be the wrong engine for this plane. Tight grain wood or carbon props only on that beast, even so you still need to keep the disc area down to keep the tips well below Mach. You may have to order and wait for the carbon and if you guessed wrong......? And you may want to fit a throttle carb on it ..OS.

I Allways wanted to stuff one of these in a plane, an OS 91 heli rear exhaust.
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1978.html with an APC 11X10 pattern prop
5oz. more weight than a 52 four stroke and more than 3 times the power.
It makes it's power, 3.3hp at only 15K.
Perhaps cut some fins off the head.
Make up a prop drive and short shaft adaptor.

You need
no rule restriction for racing
Money
Creativity
Time
Luck that the plane doesen't self destruct.

Yup it's a bit wild & crazy[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 PM
SilverSeven

Just waiting for a Rx now, I don't think my DSM6100e would be the best thing to throw in this plane.

The electric conversion didn't add as much weight as I thought. It's at a hair under 6 pounds with a Power 46, 5s 3700 LiPo, and 126MGs all around. It's about 28oz for the whole power system, more than the recommended set-up for sure, but not that much more if any over high power nitro gear like a 60 or 90, and since I can move the battery back for balance rather than adding weight, it might come out less overall compared to the OPS or a 90.

Though, I'm curious why you think the OPS would be wrong for this plane. Speed plane, speed motor, seems like a match to me. The OPS weighs less than the 91 you linked, and undoubtedly has more revs, maybe even more power.

And what do you mean by putting on a "throttle carb"? It's not just a venturi like a control line motor, it has a slide carb on it. Unless I'm just missing your meaning and you're saying to put a different carb on it.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

Though, I'm curious why you think the OPS would be wrong for this plane. Speed plane, speed motor, seems like a match to me. The OPS weighs less than the 91 you linked, and undoubtedly has more revs, maybe even more power.
Is your OPS like the one shown below? That should be a quick setup if the airframe will hold up to it. There was a thread not long ago about where you could get some CF props for this engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73677.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	938350  
Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hey mike, are you done taking pictures of my engine?[)][X(]. dang i love those ops engines. got to get me one or 2 someday.

david
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dhal22

hey mike, are you done taking pictures of my engine?[)][X(].
Actually I stole that picture from a RCU add posted by Rudeboy.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

The Nemiesis is much like the Sundowner 50.Yes the are sleek and sexy but a speed cup plane or fast delta its not. The Nemiesis needs disc area to move it along efficiently, and that engine limits your disc area because of tip speed. Yes the OPS 60 RIRE has 25,000+ rpm and thats where it makes it's power. That engine is purpose built thoroughbred. It may have a lot of power even at 18K on the ground but if you use an APC 10" sport prop on it and it unloads in the air, make sure you take videos.[X(] I called ZZ prop and asked about some carbon props and he did not keep them in stock, 3 weeks for the limited sizes he has and makes as needed. So wood may be the quick answer. Put the 60 on a test stand, try props and pipe settings before you decide to mount it. Yes it could work but there may be some better engines for the job, that use "off the shelf" props. Have a look at the Sundowner 50 thread, the Nemiesis is a bit smaller.