Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 AM
apichart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

recover my mail puipui@[email protected] not true Then [email protected] thank
Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 AM
skylab

I just ordered a DD C.W. today. Looking forward to the build. Looks like a breeze to put together. I am planning on using a OS 46FX that I have on hand to start with, hopefully it will move out good. Wondering about the servos required for the Elevons. Would some Futaba digitals with 90oz torque do the job (S3050)?

After I get some time on it I would really like to put one of those rear exhaust Jett engines on it. Looks wicked!

Thanks for all the tips!!

Ryan
Hi Blade-Breaker,
I spoke to Jeff Gilbert this morning about your setup, and the only thing we were questioning were your servos. Do your servos have alloy or nylon gears? If nylon we strongly recommend that you use
metal gear servos. 90oz is the minimum we would use. Other than that you should be good to go. Keep in mind our servos of choice are the JR 8611a that puts out over 250oz of torque at 4.8v and over 300oz at 6v. We have run nylon geared 90oz servos before but had gear failure in aggressive flights. Keep in mind it is less expensive to upgrade your servos now than it is to rebuild a crashed Dust later. Especially if you
plan on putting a Jett engine or hotter engine in it later.

Good luck,

Gerry
DDust Team
Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: skylab

I just ordered a DD C.W. today. Looking forward to the build. Looks like a breeze to put together. I am planning on using a OS 46FX that I have on hand to start with, hopefully it will move out good. Wondering about the servos required for the Elevons. Would some Futaba digitals with 90oz torque do the job (S3050)?

After I get some time on it I would really like to put one of those rear exhaust Jett engines on it. Looks wicked!

Thanks for all the tips!!

Ryan
Hi Blade-Breaker,
I spoke to Jeff Gilbert this morning about your setup, and the only thing we were questioning were your servos. Do your servos have alloy or nylon gears? If nylon we strongly recommend that you use
metal gear servos. 90oz is the minimum we would use. Other than that you should be good to go. Keep in mind our servos of choice are the JR 8611a that puts out over 250oz of torque at 4.8v and over 300oz at 6v. We have run nylon geared 90oz servos before but had gear failure in aggressive flights. Keep in mind it is less expensive to upgrade your servos now than it is to rebuild a crashed Dust later. Especially if you
plan on putting a Jett engine or hotter engine in it later.

Good luck,

Gerry
DDust Team

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed response. The S3050 servos are metal geared servos, the only reason I asked is that I have (2) new ones on my workbench. After reading your post I am planning on purchacing some Hitec 7985 MG servos for the DD.

Another question I have is about hand launching the airplane. For my first flight I will use a friend to hand launch the plane. After that I plan to hand launch it myself. Looking at the plane there does not look to be anywhere to grab on to with one hand to let it go.

My first thought was to make a small plywood bracket that I could grab onto behind the engine or maybe between the servo's.

Let me know what works.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Planeclaims
My Feedback: (2)

Ryan,

I hand launch mine all the time. Mine is the green one posted earlier in this thread. It's easy and there are a couple of ways to go about it.

First, after balancing the aircraft and ensuring its c.g. is within the recommended range on the plans, program 50% (or more) elevon expo with your computer radio to soften your control surface throws.

After start up and while idling, I position the airplane to where I lightly grab the left leading edge where the forward spar meets the leading edge, placing my index finger flat against the leading edge and in the direction of flight (just like holding a frisbee). Next, I throttle up slowly, holding transmitter with right hand until I feel the airplane trying to break away from my grip, then throttle back 1 click, point the prop skyward with right side low, and release, maintaining straight and level flight with the right stick (Mode 2). It's pretty hairy the first time, but gets easier after a few releases.

Another method is to place the low right side tip on the ground (airplane sideways) pinching the leading edge of left side at the tip, throttle up slowly until it you fell it trying to break away, back off 1 click, lift airplane off the ground and release at the same time. It flys off on it's own. This method takes a bit more practice and a lot more courage....the first try. Just remember to release your grip right after lifting the low left tip off the ground. The fraction of a second it takes for you lift the low left side off the ground and release your pinch, provides enough time for the airplane to pivot 45 deg up and fly away. After that, it's up to you to maintain straight and level flight.

Third method is to have someone assist you all the time or construct a pvc ramp.

With a .46 and a stock muffler, it will probably be nose heavy.

Good Luck

Steve
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: Planeclaims

Ryan,

I hand launch mine all the time. Mine is the green one posted earlier in this thread. It's easy and there are a couple of ways to go about it.

First, after balancing the aircraft and ensuring its c.g. is within the recommended range on the plans, program 50% (or more) elevon expo with your computer radio to soften your control surface throws.

After start up and while idling, I position the airplane to where I lightly grab the left leading edge where the forward spar meets the leading edge, placing my index finger flat against the leading edge and in the direction of flight (just like holding a frisbee). Next, I throttle up slowly, holding transmitter with right hand until I feel the airplane trying to break away from my grip, then throttle back 1 click, point the prop skyward with right side low, and release, maintaining straight and level flight with the right stick (Mode 2). It's pretty hairy the first time, but gets easier after a few releases.

Another method is to place the low right side tip on the ground (airplane sideways) pinching the leading edge of left side at the tip, throttle up slowly until it you fell it trying to break away, back off 1 click, lift airplane off the ground and release at the same time. It flys off on it's own. This method takes a bit more practice and a lot more courage....the first try. Just remember to release your grip right after lifting the low left tip off the ground. The fraction of a second it takes for you lift the low left side off the ground and release your pinch, provides enough time for the airplane to pivot 45 deg up and fly away. After that, it's up to you to maintain straight and level flight.

Third method is to have someone assist you all the time or construct a pvc ramp.

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks for your tips. Sounds like I was over thinking what needs to be done. Sounds like it should be no problem.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Ryan,

Good Luck

Steve
Sounds like Steve has this method down pat. Jeff Gilbert told me about the wingtip on the ground technique years ago and I have never seen it done, I have never worked up the nerve for that launch. I hold the rear exhaust coupling, right wing low, nose up about 50* and light toss…..and I don’t like it.
What would be cool is, if we could get some videos on the different launch methods.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Ryan,

Good Luck

Steve
Sounds like Steve has this method down pat. Jeff Gilbert told me about the wingtip on the ground technique years ago and I have never seen it done, I have never worked up the nerve for that launch. I hold the rear exhaust coupling, right wing low, nose up about 50* and light toss…..and I don’t like it.
What would be cool is, if we could get some videos on the different launch methods.
I agree, some video would be fantastic!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Blade-breaker

Ok my DD CW is just about ready for cover. I did some rough CG layouts last night with the 46fx and it is about 1/2"-3/4" nose heavy from the recomended (front spar) shown on the plans (empty fuel tank). Looking at it, I thought it may come out ok, there will be quite a bit more covering toward the rear of the CG than ahead. That may make up the difference. Also I thought that a Macs muffler may help, not sure on the weight difference from the stock OS?

How touchy will this thing be concerning the CG, is slightly nose heavy ok or should I add weight to get it spot on?

What prop on the 46FX would be best for this plane?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

How touchy will this thing be concerning the CG, is slightly nose heavy ok or should I add weight to get it spot on?

Thanks
Ryan
I would use a 9x7 prop and add weight to get the balance right or landings will be a problem.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

Thanks
Ryan
I would use a 9x7 prop and add weight to get the balance right or landings will be a problem.
Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Planeclaims

Ryan,

Good Luck

Steve
Short hand launch video available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVJwspCKH8
Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Blade-breaker

Ryan,

Good Luck

Steve
Short hand launch video available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVJwspCKH8

Thanks! Looks super easy!!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
rpaulflyer

Hey Diamond dust I am a new suscriber to rcu and have a question on balancing the cg on planes. I am having arm issues and was wondering if there is anything out there that can be made or purchased to accomplish this without holding 8-12 lb. planes checking this. Appreciated it, thanks
Rick
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
skylab

Hi Rick,
You check out these links to some affordable balancing tools.
http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr2400.html

there are allot of home made balance tools, as well over the internet

Gerry
DDust Team
Old 05-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Blade-breaker

Flew my DD CW for the first time Sunday. Flies Great! Flew it a few more times tonight hand launching it myself. Not hard at all to launch. Currently I have a os 46 fx for the engine. Is there a better choice for a engine for this plane or should I just invest in a Macs muffler for the OS?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been told that the Macs muffler is not a performance upgrade. Jett or Nelson make a high performance muffler that works. From what I hear, the Tower muffler is a decent replacement.

I'm not sure if any after market muffler is worth the 5% difference in speed. The plane will sound more impressive with an extra 1000 rpm, but the stock engine will give you 95% of whatever speed that plane will ever have after you've thrown a bunch of money at it.

Of course do what you want for the fun of the hobby and the experience of doing it, I'm just breaking down the bang for the buck end of it for you.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I've been told that the Macs muffler is not a performance upgrade. Jett or Nelson make a high performance muffler that works. From what I hear, the Tower muffler is a decent replacement.

I'm not sure if any after market muffler is worth the 5% difference in speed. The plane will sound more impressive with an extra 1000 rpm, but the stock engine will give you 95% of whatever speed that plane will ever have after you've thrown a bunch of money at it.

Of course do what you want for the fun of the hobby and the experience of doing it, I'm just breaking down the bang for the buck end of it for you.

Thanks for the info on the Macs. I will take a look at the Jett mufflers. I appreciate your bang for the buck break down!!

If I was planning on upgrading from the OS for more speed. What would be some good engine choices?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM
combatpigg

The OS .32 is still out there at auction sites, they will turn a 8x8 prop 18,000 rpm and get a DD into the high 120s. The Webra .36 was featured in a recent thread about an Outlaw delta. I'm not quite sure what to think yet about that yet, a [outragious] speed claim was made, but no rpm was given.
Jett owners will tell you that by the time you buy a mass produced performance engine like Webra, Rossi, etc. and change out the weak link parts and go through the frustration, you would have been ahead of the game to save up for the Jett.
My old saying is "the most expensive way to do this hobby is to try to do it cheaply".
Not always true, but I think it sounds cool....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Blade-breaker

I usually go for the best right from the start, which would lead me to the Jett engine, but I just cant get myself to fork out the $$. The Webra .36 sounds like it could be a good option. I read in another post that the Jett-Jettstream muffler is a good choice for the .36, turns a 9-7 pretty good. Also its quite a bit lighter than my 46FX.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
combatpigg

I can vouch for the longevity and performance of the OS .32. It has withstood the test of time. It is even my #1 engine for going after Nelson .36s in C/L combat, I just remove the carb and muffler. The Heliproz website rates Webra below OS, so do your homework. If you ask a "Webra .36 guy" how he likes that engine, [but who has no experience with the OS .32], then weigh that advice carefully.
One thing I want in a speed plane is that high pitched "hyper-sonic howl". The 15,000 rpm set ups just don't do it for me, it just sounds too ordinary. Much of what you "see" out there is coming in through your ears. The smaller, lighter and higher pitched .32-.36 engines are an affordable way to make that DD seem more like well rounded sports car instead of the old family station wagon with a 396.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Blade-breaker

After about 20 flights on my Diamond Dust I am now a speed junky!! The OS 46 just doesnt do it for me any more. I just mounted a new Jett fire engine on it last night. Just need to make a tuned pipe mount tonght and it will be ready to rock!! I think I need to build another one of these for a back up. I think on the next one I will mount the servos rotated 90deg inside with only the horns coming out.

Any idea on what speeds to expect with the Jett Fire 40 with tuned pipe? Props recomended by Jett are the 8.8 X 8.5 or 8.8 X 9 and he says that 18500 rpm is minimum ground RPM.

Fun Fun!!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Blade-breaker

Has anyone ever had one of these break in flight from high G manuvers?  I have my thows set to the max that is recomended in th e manual and the thing sure does change directions fast at speed.  Wondering if I should be concerned with the plane coming apart with the higher speeds that I should get with the Jett engine?

Thanks

Ryan

Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Planeclaims

Ryan,

Never experienced an in-flight structural failure related breakup, just a mid-air which really doesn't count. You need to pay special attention to your two elevon servos and the elevons. They do all the work, especially during those high G pull outs. Make sure the elevons, their related control horns and hardware and control rods to the servo arms are tight so there is no chance for flutter at higher speeds. Also, be sure to occasionally inspect all the coveringseams for loose edges, dings, holes, etc., and regularly inspect the bottom for damage that can occur during landings.

Steve
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
skylab

Hi Guys,
Jeff Gilbert and I did some testing a few years ago in conjunction with the University of Florida's UAV department and we
outfitted a Hot Dust with some accelerometers and other various test equipment. Our findings were that in some of the
more extreme maneuvers, we were getting reading of around 46G! and the aircraft survived without failure. You should be good
as long as you follow assembly instructions and use the solartex strips around the airframe before covering.
Follow Bladebreaker's advice and inspect and make sure your linkages are slop free and hinges are well glued.

Gerry
DDust Team
Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Blade-breaker

46 G is very impressive! Idid put the solartex strips on like described in the manual. I am very impressed with the Diamond Dust and would definately buy another.

Anyone have a link or a source for the formulas to calculate (estimate) speed for props at various rpm's? Just wondering about what this thing should be doing with this set up?

Thanks
Ryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.