Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 AM
zero-cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok?

im currently flying a viper 500 with a ssjett 40.im going to buy a jett{fire 60lx.in march.should i buy a clipped wing dd or a matneys zoomer ? are deltas more draggy then a q-40 air frame?or should I just cut down the viper wing to 40in?it just seems like putting a jett fire 60 in a viper would be a waste of hp.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ok?

ORIGINAL: zero-cool

im currently flying a viper 500 with a ssjett 40.im going to buy a jett{fire 60lx.in march.should i buy a clipped wing dd or a matneys zoomer ? are deltas more draggy then a q-40 air frame?or should I just cut down the viper wing to 40in?it just seems like putting a jett fire 60 in a viper would be a waste of hp.
Since you are soliciting opinions, here's mine - if you want a new model, do the Zoomer. More versatile aircraft, goes fast, and looks real kewl. And has LG.

However, in terms of thrills per minute some will argue that the DD is a better choice, and I won't argue that point. There is something to be said for 3 pound airplanes accelerating up out of your hand on a screaming 7.5-10cc engine..

Deltas are far more draggy in turns than conventional aircraft - it is the low aspect ratio that kills L/D and energy retention in turns. They do have theroretical advantages in terms of profile drag, that in practice are outweighed by their caveats; ultimately for top speed conventional layouts still seem to rule. But make no mistake deltas can go plenty fast too.

MJD
Old 01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: zero-cool

Deltas do have more drag then Q-40 airframes but maybe not more the a Q-500 airframe if the delta is cleaned up a bit. My deltas (semi cleaned up) were faster then my Q-500 planes with the same engine. Much of that may be because of the weight advantage of the delta. Not sure where the zoomer will fit in. IMO the delta wins hands down for WOW factor. I actually got bored with flying my Q-500 for sport (not racing [X(] ) but the deltas always kept my heart beat up. Clipped wing Q-500 is an easy solution for some extra speed.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diamond Dust: Deltas wing for a blurrrrrrrrrrrrr of a roll rate. aka wow factor

Zoomer less speed lost in tight turns and you can put wheels on it.

Bob

too many Jetts not enoogh time.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Cool:

The zoomer with the 10% airfoil is a little of a challange landing, Matny recommends the 15%. Have had both, would also recommend the 15%, not much loss in speed and much more cumfortable to fly with that 60LX. I have had two and love them. Down side on the deltas to me is lack of landing gear and the hazzards of hand launching. Have ordered a set of micro retracts and will give them a try on both delta and q-500 soon and will let the guys know opinion/outcome. For what its worth, the Q-500 usual 52" wing cut down to 40" works out well with increased speed without damaging flight character, landing is a little hotter, but what the heck, their hot anyway. My streemlined nose 60LX powered home brewed Q-500 with 40" wing was so fast I went back to 52" after the proto-type died a unnatral death. My first experience with something just too fast for this carzy old man. The 52" wing is not that much slower when 60LX powered and a little more cumfortable landing and in general flight.

Have not found a good home for my beloved Jett 35, so am building another home brewed little beast based on the Q-500 wing and general reduction of moments. This one will start life with a 36" wing and looking for all up weight of around 3 pounds with retracts. May look a little strange as I want a shoulder wing or mid-wing as needed to keep the retracts reasonable, and carry around 8 oz of fuel. The low wing thing was retired due to weight up to 5+ pounds from epoxie repairs and fuel. Was king of the field for a lot of years and flat fun.

You are going to love that Jett 60LX. It will idle down well even with a pylon prop on it and transition like nothing else. Keep the rpm's up and take extreem care in your fuel tank setup and needle location must, be remotely located on the fuse. Its prone to forming bubbles in the fuel line. ENJOY
Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

The Diamond Dust does indeed have some drag with the engine un-cowled and fuel tank in the air stream. Over looked is the drag caused buy the gap where the control surface is connected to the trailing edge of the wing. This gap is a necessary evil if you want blurringly fast rolls and wall like 90 degree direction changes. That >< gap lets you have 45+ degrees of deflection. I’m theorizing that in the DD’s design that the surface that’s opposite of the deflection gets some help from what I’m guessing could be called “Coanda Effect” (helping the air stick to the negative pressure control surface side). I found this out the hard way when I made a delta where the trailing edge was 90* to the surface of the wing yet the leading edge of the control surface had a piece of tri stock on it, l<. That delta had a poor roll rate VS the one that had a >< gap, given the same amount of deflection.
If sheer speed is the main concern on a Diamond Dust a “living hinge”on one side and “gap seal”on the other, much like a Whiplash. This would help in addition to cowling in the engine, pipe and tank. Note that I have not seen a Whiplash turn or roll near as fast as a Diamond Dust but I think the Whiplash is a tad faster (level flight). The Whiplash I had, if I pulled too hard it would snap roll.

The Zoomer would be quicker, but it will be a lot of “go fast and turn left.” High speed passes would be insanely impressive. Hope you have a long runway for landing as it holds speed real well.