Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Lanier's Dominator

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Lanier's Dominator

Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lanier's Dominator

I just picked up a Lanier Dominator 500, question I have is about the advantage or dis-advantage of the V-Tail. My first thought was to just build with the standard Tail configuration but then got to thinking there might be some plus to the V-Tail design.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lanier's Dominator

ORIGINAL: WALKERS210-RCU

I just picked up a Lanier Dominator 500, question I have is about the advantage or dis-advantage of the V-Tail. My first thought was to just build with the standard Tail configuration but then got to thinking there might be some plus to the V-Tail design.
Otherwise why bother, right? Good point.

A V-tail has the same total area as the equivalent conventional tail setup designed to the same margin of stability. The theoretical and hopefully realized advantage comes in that there are only two fuselage-stab junctions generating interference drag and two tips and their inherent tip losses, versus three.

I bet if you search v-tail on the Q500 forum there have been oodles of discussions on the subject. There was one here maybe two weeks ago as well.

MJD
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
pmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built one years ago and found that the V-tail works just fine for the intended purpose of the plane. It will NOT do rudder type aerobatics. In fact, if you had a tail wheel, you wouldn't even need a rudder. But since there is only a tail skid, the rudder action is needed for takeoff. Surprisingly, it will taxi as if it had a tail wheel. Ailerons are slower than you would think, but the plane is a blast to fly. Very fast!

Paul
Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

I once read that the two surfaces vs 3 had one less place for the prop vortices to get caught on and wash off. This was less drag. Sail planes also use this configuration for the same reasons that MJD stated. less joints for induced drag and tips.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Julian537

I once read that the two surfaces vs 3 had one less place for the prop vortices to get caught on and wash off. This was less drag. Sail planes also use this configuration for the same reasons that MJD stated. less joints for induced drag and tips.
Basically you get 2 of some of the bad things instead of 3, with the net gain being on the good side. As to the prop vortices, if the total area is maintained between equivalent V and cruciform tails, I don't kin the difference, but maybe there is one.

Another critical factor not noted here yet, is that to many people, V-tails look really cool.

BTW Walkers210 - I strongly suggest that you search this AND the Q500 forum to see all the beef-up and set-up tips that are highly recommended for that aircraft - if you haven't already done that already of course. It is supposed to be a good flier and last for more than one flight, if you make a few simple mods.

MJD

Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info on this plane. I have already searched the Q500 forum and have a few good ideas on it. While I have never built this particular airplane before I did see several places that need beefing up. Waiting for my 1/2 oz Glass now. Basically I was going to build this just to keep myself busy and keep from going crazy sitting here, but now I might have to actually take it out for a couple of passes. One of the last Fast planes I built was the SHRIKE. = WOW is all I could as about its speed. Well Fast and very nimble.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 AM
daven

The Dominator is a good flying plane. I built and raced one nearly 10 years ago and it was competitive with the planes of its day.

I built it with a conventional tail, unless you are at the top level of competitive racing, you won't notice the difference in speed. If you have never built a v-tail, the first couple can be a bit of a chore getting lined up properly. Its a no brainer to get a horizontal stab perfect.

If you are building for sport, you may want to slightly increase the size of the ailerons, and definately reinforce the firewall. After you get the stock firewall in place and pinned to sides, add a 1/8" aircraft ply plate to the front of the stock firewall and reinforce inside corners with tri stock.