Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Emailed WestonUK Today...about Magnums!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Emailed WestonUK Today...about Magnums!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM
arcticflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emailed WestonUK Today...about Magnums!

Today, I emailed Weston UK in an attempt to get them to sell the Magnum uncovered and no hardware at a reduced rate.
The current MagnumR with exchange rates and shipping is not worth the high cost.[:'(] A stripped down version at a much lower cost would I hope get us some Magnums. I for one hate buying the cruddy hardware and covering that comes with alot of todays ARF's.

I would encourage all Magnum fans to email and pressure the company because numbers matter..... Google their web site and let your voices be heard........or someone produce a kit in this country and I'll buy (3) to start.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Emailed WestonUK Today...about Magnums!

ORIGINAL: arcticflyer

Today, I emailed Weston UK in an attempt to get them to sell the Magnum uncovered and no hardware at a reduced rate.
The current MagnumR with exchange rates and shipping is not worth the high cost.[:'(] A stripped down version at a much lower cost would I hope get us some Magnums. I for one hate buying the cruddy hardware and covering that comes with alot of todays ARF's.

I would encourage all Magnum fans to email and pressure the company because numbers matter..... Google their web site and let your voices be heard........or someone produce a kit in this country and I'll buy (3) to start.
I'd say this was a good idea if the Magnum was a better aircraft to begin with. Maybe ask them to build the wings straight, reduce the wing sweep to move the NP forward so it lands normally, airfoil the vertical stab a bit, tighten up the aileron end gap, replace the garbage included plastic hardware, seriously rethink their CG recommendations, and whatever else I forgot. I think it is telling that a Q500 with 50" wing span and a thicker wing flies just as fast and handles better.

And on a personal note, I hate yellow and black - I think the visibility of that scheme in the air is highly overrated. The checkerboard turns dull grey at speed.

Other than that I love it.

As to alternatives, there is the Rifle, the MAtney Zoomer (definitely a stripped down kit!). And more on the way.

MJD
Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
MJD

Forgot to mention - Weston is notoriously slow at e-mails, the owner doesn't do computers much and admits so. If you have something on your mind best to call Alan Greenfield on the telly. He's pretty helpful, the engine service was incredibly fast when I had a problem.

MJD
Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM
arcticflyer

I'm with ya 100%.....I was thinking if I could get one uncovered I could make some of the changes you mentioned. I hate the black and yellow as well. I've got mine balanced so it is landing great....had to add 2oz in the rear which I hate....but it flares fine....I posted the maiden landing on RCUvideos. I just refuse to pay nearly 200 for something that might be worth 40 or 50. I can't find the Rifle online and will look up the zoomer where I finish this post. Skip

If it comes down to it I'll tear that Magnum apart use it for a pattern and start making my own............
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
MJD

I'm with ya 100%.....I was thinking if I could get one uncovered I could make some of the changes you mentioned. I hate the black and yellow as well. I've got mine balanced so it is landing great....had to add 2oz in the rear which I hate....but it flares fine....I posted the maiden landing on RCUvideos. I just refuse to pay nearly 200 for something that might be worth 40 or 50. I can't find the Rifle online and will look up the zoomer where I finish this post. Skip

If it comes down to it I'll tear that Magnum apart use it for a pattern and start making my own............
They uncover pretty easily. I took a bite out of the LE recently by landing in a dead shrub a bit short of the strip. I was able to strip the wing with little effort. The delay in fixing and recovering it is due to the extent of the warpage I saw once I stripped it and looked it over closely. Now I am disgruntled.

Don't get me wrong, it's an okay airplane. Get it balanced and trimmed out and it rips around nicely. But as you say it is NOT a $200 kit.

MJD
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
arcticflyer

What's that wing like inside.....foam sheeted? or balsa that is just shaped by sanding... I would like to find a plane that is jet like in appearance "Magnumish" but designed so I can run the pipe out the back of the motor through the fuz cutting down on drag. I saw one that I liked on a post awhile back and now I can't find it....[:@]
Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's that Zoomer coming along

I've always wanted a .25 or 1/2a sized magnum myself.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

The "Rifle" is produced by "Angel" who is right here on RCU.

Cheers-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75516.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1171351  
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
arcticflyer

I sent an email to Angel today in hopes of getting one of them.....or more that one of them
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

That Rifle looks to be a well thought out plane. Inboard ailerons & elevators help reduce tip stall and flutter. [sm=thumbup.gif]
I wonder if retracts can be done?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
arcticflyer

I think the wing is to thin....here is a good thread on it... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...%2Cpics/tm.htm

After reading this thread I really want one but I don't think they are made anymore...........
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Angel is a good guy from my experience
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 PM
MJD

What's that wing like inside.....foam sheeted? or balsa that is just shaped by sanding... I would like to find a plane that is jet like in appearance "Magnumish" but designed so I can run the pipe out the back of the motor through the fuz cutting down on drag. I saw one that I liked on a post awhile back and now I can't find it....[:@]
Yeah, it's just regular old sheeted foam. The sheeting appears to be 2mm balsa, which is understandable with the thin cross-section giving little beam height. It's not overbuilt anywhere.

There is not much work in modding a Magnum for rear exhaust and a pipe, if you are handy that way and have one to butcher. The entire turtle deck is fiberglass over a flat-topped fuselage box.

MJD
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

How about an Xciter, by Aerocrafts?

You can get a quality built ARF in your colors for under $200.00. shipped

And it is made in the USA.

Matney Models have some very nice planes and various options.

bob
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

http://aerocrafts.net/

http://www.matneymodels.com/
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Hey Crazy.... thanks for the link to the xciter!!! I have been e-mailing back and forth with Jim at Aerocrafts and he'll even do up a custom covering scheme at no extra charge!!!! I had been lurking around here for a while looking for a way to enter into speed planes on the cheap and this is how i'm gonna do it!!!!

thanks
again

geoff bedard
Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
arcticflyer

YEAH!!!!! Angel is building me a Rifle this week.....rather keep my money on this side of the POND Our government has already sent enough money to Europe!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
MJD

YEAH!!!!! Angel is building me a Rifle this week.....rather keep my money on this side of the POND Our government has already sent enough money to Europe!
Good deal - from what I've heard/seen here about them, you'll like it. Whatchoo have in mind for engine (or did I miss that back there somewhere)?

MJD
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
arcticflyer

I've got a Rossi 45 coming from a sale on ebarf...the good thing is the engine is coming from Rossienginesusa so I know it isn't runout junk. It has a Jett carb already on it and has a little over a gallon of fuel through it. 92 bucks can't beat it! All I need to get now is a header/pipe.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Where can you buy the Magnum R in the USA?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 AM
arcticflyer

Richard39- I don't think anyone is importing them right now...a place in Florida was taking calls for like pre orders but I don't know. If you search around on this forum you might be able to find the name of the Hobby Shop. To be frank, Angel who is routinely on this forum makes a Magnum like plane called the Rifle in Ready to Cover and Covered. If you PM him he will make you one. From what I have heard it is a better plane. He is getting one ready for me right now....
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM
BiggerDanno

ORIGINAL: Richard39

Where can you buy the Magnum R in the USA?
Just email WestonUK the addy is on their website.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
arcticflyer

The problem as I stated earlier is that once you convert the currency..... add shipping.....then add customs....the price goes beyond the worth However, with that said some guys might not care, and you are right, it can be purchased directly from the UK. www.westonuk.co.uk/index_133.htm

Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
MJD

The problem as I stated earlier is that once you convert the currency..... add shipping.....then add customs....the price goes beyond the worth However, with that said some guys might not care, and you are right, it can be purchased directly from the UK. www.westonuk.co.uk/index_133.htm
But why would they bother? Anyone who has/had one or two will tell you that they are okay but not worth the price. I had two, but after flying the first around for two seasons I got bored with it and sold the other one. They fly okay, they fly pretty fast etc. but this Rifle is every bit the same aircraft in that sense and probably better built (not too difficult). How does the cost of the Rifle compare?

MJD
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
arcticflyer

MJD- I don't know, and I agree with you 100%........The Rifle I am getting is $125.00 Ready to Cover with $15.00 for shipping and insurance. The Magnum is advertized at $109.00 British currency which converted to US is $159.63.....Quite a difference[:'(] Oh yeah, in your case in Canada it would be $198.73....WOW! That's before shipping.

In fairness to Weston on their web site they say they have a Chicago distribution center and the shipping would be less. They further have a page on their site that lists planes that are sold through the center in the US....they are listing the Magnum through the Chicago Center as $125.00 US with US shipping and no customs which is much cheeper.......So I guess guys are going to have to decide for themselves.

When I get my Rifle from Angel I am going to compare them directly side by side......[sm=punching.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.