Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

quick quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
speedtrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick quote

hey guys, dont chase me away i just wanna ask these 2 questions, what kinda speed are you guys talkin about here? what are the better(lower) priced planes out there that can push that kinda speed ready to fly?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: quick quote

weston magnum or a delta seems to be the budget choice.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Magnum and a .46FX are good for an easy 140-145. Any Q500, same engine about the same.
Mike's RC Speed Deamon and the likes are a little faster.

Simple and easy speed on low dollar.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedtrash

hey guys, dont chase me away i just wanna ask these 2 questions, what kinda speed are you guys talkin about here? what are the better(lower) priced planes out there that can push that kinda speed ready to fly?
Nobody 'round here is going to chase you away for showing interest in flying fast. 150 is about where you'll be thinking that you're moving along pretty darn quick. I bet every increment of 15-20mph over what you're used to will be noticeable. One of the most important things to do is balance and trim very well, and fly fast on gentle throws. Don't use twitchy setups or you're gonna be digging expensive holes pretty soon. Make sure all your linkages are slop free, seal your hinge gaps, just batten down all the hatches and make it solid and reliable. Then give 'er.

MJD
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Without a good amount of natural aptitude or experienced supervision, it might be biting off more than you can chew to start out with a 160 mph Quickie 500 pylon racer. When everything is set up correctly, they don't take much skill or talent to fly. The hard part is the meticulous preparation and attention to detail. You've got to know how to set up a perfectly straight airframe. The only true RTF set ups that I know of are the type you carry back to your car from a swap meet or what was hanging at the LHS. Commercial ARFs that I know of are prone to structural failures, so there is usually plenty of reenforcing work to be done.
I don't like any of these choices, I'd rather build a 2.5 pound delta, powered with a hot .32. 130 mph, 18,000 rpm screaming sound effects and easy to fly and land with conservative control throws.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Wiggy

I totally agree with Combatpigg on this. A 2.5 pound delta with a 32 will get the adrenaline pumping for sure. The only deltas I know of that you do not have to build are the Outlaw ARF which is not my favorite and the Wild Wiz which Rick will build for you and send to your door for $148.95. http://www.wildwiz.com/order.htm If you want all out speed the Diamond Dust would be my choice. You will have to build it though. Check out the web site and you can see the building manual http://www.diamonddustrc.com/glow_mo...amond_Dust.htm

I am not sure which motor I would get right now. OS stopped making the 32 SX and Webras are a bit difficult to get but you can order them online. I have enough 32s to keep me happy for now.

Some folks use the Thunder Tiger pro 36 but I don't know much about this engine. Perhaps someone could make a recommendation about the pro 36.

Wiggy
Old 05-01-2009, 07:32 AM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: MJD

[ Don't use twitchy setups or you're gonna be digging expensive holes pretty soon.
Around here we call that planting balsa trees, funny they never seem to grow.

Lets not forget the Screamin Demon http://www.mikesrc.us/ I'm glad it's coming back. The Viper is good too with the simple mods shown on another thread.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Wiggy

Mike,

Sorry I didn't mention the Screamin Demon. I don't have one yet (perhaps you could help with that) and I forgot. I am really excited to get one.

What do you know about the pro 36?

Wiggy
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
vicman

I just threw the fast ones out there that I have flown and recomended another. As well as an engine that is pretty common. FWIW the TT .40 pro is an excellent engine especially for the money.
160 out of a quickie CP? Without a spendy motor like a Jett that will be a stretch. I'll see what mine does at the Speed Rally and report back
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
combatpigg

Vic....Nelson powered Q-500s [IIRC] hit 160. I thought you had a Nelson or 2 show up last year at your rally?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One flying, three others for sale....
Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 AM
cmircman

As for the TT 36 pro I would pass this one up. If you can get a webra it will blow the thunder tigers doors off and is well worth the money. I have a webra 36 with jett muffler that will turn a 8x8 apc at over 18000 easilly. My thunder tiger is just sitting on the bench.

Rich
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM
vicman

Chuck,
A Nelson will definately throw a Q500 around and a good deal over 160 to boot! Going back to the OP a Nelson nor the airframe needed to keep all the bits togeather are not something the Joe sixpak has in the shop. I would't recomend putting a Nelson on a Viper no matter what. There goes your only real ARF option anyway.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:22 PM
jaka

Hi!
I use a .40 Nelson LS in my Viper (reinforced tail) without problem (Compete with it). Rather fast at around 225-250km/h but slow compared to a 180cm span F3D racer. In the last picture you can see what will happen if you don't reinforce the fuselage tail section in front of the stab...noticed the crack before I was to fly for the third time that day, 2 years ago....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84208.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1190718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19789.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1190719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94665.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1190720  
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
combatpigg

I've got the Predator ARF and everything that could go wrong with a plane, has gone wrong with it. I can't consider these planes RTF if they have to first be torn apart, beefed up, re-rigged, then re-covered. The interior hot glue joints even repel attempts to strength them, nothing sticks to that junk. Great design, just poorly executed.
I still think the best way for a "newbee" to get a RTF "extreme speed prop plane" is to ask around about who has the fastest plane in town and then show up at the air field with a big roll of $100 bills in his back pocket.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
vicman

Jan, I've seen that crack on dozens of reinforced planes in 424. They just aren't up to the task even if the whole back end is glassed they just want to break there.

If someone came up to me with "roll" of C-notes they could buy me out any time