Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

got a new plane

Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a new plane

just got a pheonix models f-20, does anyone have opinions about this plane. can i see some pictures and how fast have you got yours up to. im hoping to get up to 110 mph. does this sound do'able
Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: got a new plane

I love mine, got a 46ax good combo, not the fastest thing in the world but does get everyones attention pretty stout as well. i was doing inverted full throttle patterns 4 feet off the deck, needles to say my thumbs are not as fast as i thought they were. broke the rudder cleanly and broke between the two aft bulkheads only about 3 hours to repair and recover. Watch out for th elanding gear it is weak, you can slow it down alot more than you think as well. when it comes time to recover in about 3-4months i plan on clipping about 5 inches off each wing see how that does.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
mshay

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

I love mine, got a 46ax good combo, not the fastest thing in the world but does get everyones attention pretty stout as well. i was doing inverted full throttle patterns 4 feet off the deck, needles to say my thumbs are not as fast as i thought they were. broke the rudder cleanly and broke between the two aft bulkheads only about 3 hours to repair and recover. Watch out for th elanding gear it is weak, you can slow it down alot more than you think as well. when it comes time to recover in about 3-4months i plan on clipping about 5 inches off each wing see how that does.

have you been able to get in some knife edges, and flatspins. these seem to be my specialty, and i hope the thing does a knife edge cleanly, oh and kinda low as well.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
YUKONFLYR

The F-20 needs some attention to the covering on the belly aft of the wing. There is a seam that needs to be sealed really good or any speed above 110 mph will start allowing it to depart company. It slows down very nicly for landing. When the nose comes up level on final it will slow down really fast. I start my rotation at about 4 feet and am ready with more throttle if the nose comes up too much as speed bleeds off fast. My landing gear seems adequate for the plane, however a few hard landings will break the softwood blocks in the wings.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Dieselman1220

hmmm maybe it could be my set up but it dosent really like to knife edge i dont think it has enough rudder. Flat spins I would say do not attempt I tried one on mine
and it did not want to come out, I sat there with full down elevator and full opposite rudder and it still made 2.5 more rotations before barely coming out. Its a propjet
not an aerobatic bird fly it like one.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO it is junk not made to go fast

Mine had a Jett 50 and tuned pipe...

with the soft pushrods and ZIGZAG bends they want you to make = flutter !!!

So I mounted the servos on the fuse and 4-40 rods direct straight line to rudder and elevator.

Landing gear mounts proved to be weak and failed on grass runways.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Dieselman1220

what version do you have? I did not have to make any zig zags in my rods
Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
murrat

I have this plane with an OS AX 55 and mini tunned pipe. I had to tilt the engine to the left to make clearance for the muffler. It might be in your speed range. 100 to 110Mph I'm guessing with that engine/muffler. I recommend you reinforce the nose wheel wood block. Mine came off after running it on a rough field. Real pain to fix after the fact.

Also I upgraded all my rods to 440 dia. as I knew I didn't want flutter in steep dives at high speed.

I like this plane because it was cheap and it does these huge high speed loops. It will do knife edge as well. Vertical is unlimited.

Enjoy
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
mshay

ORIGINAL: murrat

I have this plane with an OS AX 55 and mini tunned pipe. I had to tilt the engine the the left to make clearance for the muffler. It might be in your speed range. 100 to 110Mph I'm guess with that engine/muffler. I recommend you reinforce the nose wheel wood block. Mine came off after running it on a rough field. Real pain to fix after the fact.

Also I upgraded all my rods to 440 dia. as I knew I didn't want flutter in steep dives at high speed.

I like this plane because it was cheap and it does these huge hight speed loops. It will do knife edge as well. Vertical is unlimited.

Enjoy

ok cool great, im just using this plane as a "trainer" for faster thinner wing jets in the near future and a slow progression to turbines.