Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a real FAST plane!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Looking for a real FAST plane!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 AM
mk1spitfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a real FAST plane!

ORIGINAL: tIANci

If you want cheap and easy I would go with something like the VIP Racer or VooDoo ... slap on any decent brushless motor and a 3S pack and they go like stink. They are a little small though.
Voodoo, yes is pure evil. Glider wing technology, hot brushless and its a missle. I want one
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 AM
G_Brill

heres a patriot 40 kit for sale. http://dumbthumb-rc.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=392
Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Ed Smith

You have to look at your surroundings, too. A Q-40 plane needs a lot of open space and smooth pavement at your disposal.
Not realy. here is my flying field. Miss the trees on takeoff and the corn on landing. No problem.

Ed s
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89516.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1333304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35666.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1333305  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

you show a pic of a weston magnum. i had one 6 years ago, where can i get one of these today...........thanks...........RON
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 AM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

I really like my Sig wonder for speed on a budget. Wont break any records, wont break the bank either. Im guessing maybe 120mph with a good .25 engine. With it being small it seems like 160. I put hatches in the rear of mine for the battery and a couple micro servos so it balanced without additional weight, flys like a dream! With all this being said, I put a GPS inside a Goldberg Piper Cub once and flew it straight and level. It was powered with a OS .70 four stroke, to my surprise the top speed was 99mph. These planes are traveling faster than it may seem.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

I believe he wanted something that looks like an airplane, the Sig Wonder does not.

Tim
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
BreakingPoint
My Feedback: (2)

I just wached a video of a World Models VooDoo 40 size Mustang with a YS110 on it.. That thing was SCREAMING! After doing some research on that plane, people are indicating around 140mph with that plane and motor. It looks like it has a fairly thin wing, but dificult to tell from the pictures. Don't know if it's really a fast / clean airplane, or if it's the raw power of that YS110 that makes it that fast. I'll keep this one on the Maybe-list.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: MJD

I don't think delta wings float your boat by the ''look like a plane'' comment (It sure is getting old), but when it comes to fast on a budget there are few better ways to do so. Thing is everyone wants fast, cheap, plus killer good looks and whatnot. Typically, you can pick two of those at a time with a good chance of success. You can crack 130 with a TT .46 or other engine of that ilk on a Demon or DD delta. You're talking $200 for the pair. And while deltas have a limited number of tricks up their sleeve, so what? Fast, cheap. If you haunt online auction sites and RC marketplaces I bet you can do 160 - 170 for the same $200 combo.

MJD

The first time I saw a Delta I didn't like it, but I built one and flew it and I loved it![sm=thumbup.gif] It didn't take long and I was addicted, fast and cheap, and the look grew on me fast, it looks evil especially with a cowled rear exhaust high performance engine.[sm=48_48.gif] The Screamin Demon might as well be an arf it builds so fast, lots of information here on them also.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

yes the voodoo will get it done, but its not a thin winged plane, its not cheap, and neither is a ys 110 running on 30-60 percent nitro, and the cost of maintenance is big as well, most of the guys running them have alot of experience already, thats why you see so many deltas in this forum, their cheap to build, cheap to run, and have much less hassle overall, compared to the voodo or strega type planes, and the deltas are very stable and stall friendly..
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

You have to look at your surroundings, too. A Q-40 plane needs a lot of open space and smooth pavement at your disposal.
Not realy. here is my flying field. Miss the trees on takeoff and the corn on landing. No problem.

Ed s

OK, then let's start recommending to guys who've never flown a Q-40 before that all they need is a corn field with a small patch of grass to operate out of....
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
BreakingPoint

Just for fun.. here is a video of a group of World Model Mustangs with YS110's racing. No idea how fast they are going, but hauling-the-mail for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvkDZQB3X8
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi, If you really want fast get an old Top flite holey smoke and a os 46 ducted fan engiine and when you build the model cut out an extra rudder/fin and put both on the model about 5 inches apart so you will have twin fins then run the tuned pipe between them. this combination will yeild over 200 mph. Make the top and bottom of the model different colors or you will get confused and stick it in the ground. the kit is no longer made but can be found on ebay.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I got a set of plans for the Holy Smoke and compared to a Screamin Demon the airfoil is wayyy tooo thick for a real speed delta but I bet it moves along alright.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Ed Smith

OK, then let's start recommending to guys who've never flown a Q-40 before that all they need is a corn field with a small patch of grass to operate out of
At Last I totally agree. Absolutely correct and the right attitude.

It would seperate the real flyers and "Doers" from the internet talkers and speed dreamers.

Ed S

Name:	Mk26632.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1333487  
Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: BreakingPoint

Just for fun.. here is a video of a group of World Model Mustangs with YS110's racing. No idea how fast they are going, but hauling-the-mail for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvkDZQB3X8

Nice sound
Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: geeter

you show a pic of a weston magnum. i had one 6 years ago, where can i get one of these today...........thanks...........RON

You can find them here on RCU or eBay from time to time. Or go to www.westonuk.co.uk.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: bob27s

This is the format I mentioned....

It's a P-51 mustang for all practicle purposes. DagoRed - (reno fame). Older Lyle Larson design. If you want it to look like a warbird .... paint it silver with some stars and bars..

Name:	Hf98284.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1333657  
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

OK, then let's start recommending to guys who've never flown a Q-40 before that all they need is a corn field with a small patch of grass to operate out of
At Last I totally agree. Absolutely correct and the right attitude.

It would seperate the real flyers and ''Doers'' from the internet talkers and speed dreamers.

Ed S
Ed..... who are the real flyers and "doers", then?

And why do you feel the need for this seperation? Don't you like it here?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
sparkknocker

I have Great Planes Little Toni with a G90 supertigre which is good for about 140mph or so. I wish I would have went with a 110 though as the plane still was a touch nose heavy with the G90. I am running a 11x10 APC
Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

EDF is not cheap really. Although, electric speed is easy. Just get a good F5D racer and drop the cash on a Nue motor and batteries. You can get really close to 200 pretty easy that way. But that is no fun as you do not get to hear an engine run! Also, those little planes are hard to keep up with.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Ed Smith

Ed..... who are the real flyers and "doers", then?
Go Here and check the "Q40 National Points 2009 season"

http://www.nmpra.org/

Ed S
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM
combatpigg

My Dad who was a real pilot...a P-47 pilot with 84 combat missions in WWII by the time he turned 21 would get a kick out of you and the toy airplane World you live in.

If coming to this forum to down grade others is the only way you can feel good about yourself, then you are coming to the wrong place.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
MJD

I'll believe a Holy Smoke and K&B 7.5DF will top 200 the day I see it on the radar gun. No way. It's a fast combo but the 200 claim is unrealistic for the form of that aircraft. Nothing wrong with the airplane though.

We'll find out soon enough how fast a K&B 7.5DF will haul a 6% thick delta, I just snagged a pair.

MJD
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Bundubasher

Hi Breakingpoint,
There are many beatiful and very fast planes on the market. If it is JUST RAW SPEED you're after, it means high horsepower, low weight and small frontal area. That means go basic - no excess weight that eats horsepower - no retracts, wheels etc - then go hand launch.

Again, if it is only raw speed you're looking for, you need to look at a Weston Magnum, or probably a scratch build plane from plans - something like a Kangaroo delta, little smaller (and lighter) than a Magnum, same engine, 6 mm thick wing - thus less frontal area than a Magnum and higher power to weight ratio. I've build one, it hauls tailpipe. To my knowledge there's no kits available, just plans. From plans in the RCM Modeller of a few years ago. (Not the Graupner Kangaroo which is something totally different.
It is not the thing to fly at a club where other people are flying - you need clean open airspace. Some clubs may not allow you to fly it for high speed/noise/safety reasons. It's a personal choice - what you are comforatble with.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher
Again, if it is only raw speed you're looking for, you need to look at a Weston Magnum, or probably a scratch build plane from plans - something like a Kangaroo delta, little smaller (and lighter) than a Magnum, same engine, 6 mm thick wing - thus less frontal area than a Magnum and higher power to weight ratio. I've build one, it hauls tailpipe. To my knowledge there's no kits available, just plans. From plans in the RCM Modeller of a few years ago. (Not the Graupner Kangaroo which is something totally different.
It is not the thing to fly at a club where other people are flying - you need clean open airspace. Some clubs may not allow you to fly it for high speed/noise/safety reasons. It's a personal choice - what you are comforatble with.
If it is only raw speed someone is looking for you do not need to scratch build, there are delta kits available for

Name:	Sq47797.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1334194  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.