Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot 40 engine advice

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)
View Poll Results: A poll
OS .45FSR
2.90%
Jett 50 w/pipe
97.10%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Patriot 40 engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Patriot 40 engine advice

Bob made the announcement last month that the 60 goes away and the 55 is it's direct replacement.
Now Roger has another engine he's got to buy...... Maybe they just ship the first ones to him COD?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heh heh...oh i do want to go fast, but i'm just not interested io trying to top anyone.
170 would be cool, but i really like to set a plane up to go the fastest i can go on straight and level flight. anything beyond that speed is ear to ear grinning rights.

considering that i was a top Free Flight competitor (Satellite fame) and still hold the highest record in 2 gas events leaves me with a void when flying R/C for just plain ol fun.
been around screaming engines since i was 7 so anything that screams gets my full attention.

as it turns out, i talked to Dub this morning and he says to stay with the 50 for the patriot. gave me some insight as to what to expect from either the 50 or the 55, so it made more sense to go for the 50 at this time.

this will be a good learning tool for me and give me some direction to future speed planes.

you guys have been great to talk to thus far and each thread that is related to what i am doing brings much info from all of you that has helped me immensly.
this by far has been the most exciting area of R/C i've been into yet.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have the time, the money, and the desire, I think Pylon is more exciting.....10 fold.
It's the most demanding event for skill of model set up and piloting. If you've never seen it flown at the AMA level, you should make a point of seeing it.

Next would be RC Combat, but it's a lot of work too. The present AMA rules need work to tone it down more so there's less wreckage.

I think RC Speed is fun [obviously], but more so now with the measuring devices that are available. The problem with RC Speed is it is like mountain climbing. Once you reach a certain level, it starts to seem slow and you want to go the next rung up. The difference is with RC Speed, there is no "highest peak"........
Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 PM
summerwind

in early 82 i had 3 Toni kits and was awaiting 4 Tigre's from Terry.
went to a Pylon event in SJ and watched Ron Sheldon who was in the hunt during those days bag 3 racers in a row.............they were fast then, and i know they are faster now.
i was younger then too (like 27) and the reflexes were sharp...........decided to not go into the racing as i would have been either divorced, or disowned by the better half

these days i still have good reflexes, but not good enough for Pylon.

i do tend to overpower everything i call an airplane.
the guys at the field get shakin up when i fly my GP Skybolt with the YS 110-s...........to me it isn't even fast engough even though it climbs vertical till it's a speck without so much as a grunt.
i know this Patriot/Jett 50 combo will be fun, but i also know it's not gonna end there......

combat looks like it would be a blast, but being i am as i am, i'd not be happy till i could equip a plane with a real gun to shoot down my oponent

looks like the Eagle tree stuff will be part of my equipment again too.....i had the onboard V3 recorder when i was playing with electrics.
like you said, there is so much neat stuff available you would think it would never get boring.
so far the stuff i have tried has been, but i never really looked into the speed forum.
glad i did.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 PM
mumblety-peg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need to get cracking on the Patriot kit I started four [:-]years ago. I took it out last week and realized I'd left the masking tape on the tail. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb [:@]. It's going to take me forever to clean it up. And I'll probably have to repaint it. What a mess...

So the Jett 50 is a better choice than the newer Jett?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 PM
summerwind

is the area with the tape painted or monokoted?

Dub didn't go into the 55 when i called him this monrin, and i didn't bother to ask as he advised using the 50.
in his email he stated same price for the 55, but i think he meant if i was to buy the 60LX.
it's in testing from what bob27s said in his PM to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 PM
mumblety-peg

It's painted. OR it was . Oh well... I still have to install the servos, landing gear and paint the wing. I don't need to decide on an engine for a while. I'm just getting back into flying. So it'll be some time before I feel confident enough to fly the Patriot anyway.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 PM
summerwind

if anyone is interested, there is a Patriot 40 kit on beebay...item #200425865457
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

if anyone is interested, there is a Patriot 40 kit on beebay...item #200425865457
"buy now" price $165 not too bad, I paid mine $140 fro Graves Hobbies several years ago

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Bob made the announcement last month that the 60 goes away and the 55 is it's direct replacement.
I remember something about the 60LX blowing plugs... mine does not tho
Old 01-09-2010, 01:10 PM
summerwind

well 2 people bidding on it already............be interesting to see how much over the BIN price it goes.
cracks me up how an item is on a 2-6 day listing and people start bidding on it way before the listing ends, and constantly driving the price up.

so those of you who have used the Jett 50 in this plane, what motor mount did you use?

i seriously think the mounts from Jett are the way to go, but which one works the best?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
DougV

Mike,

Before the Jett 50, I had the OS 46FX in it with a tuned pipe. Im still using the regular 40-50 size Great Planes mount.

I'm using Tru-Turn spinner ( 1.75 I think).

Doug.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
summerwind

thx Doug........
Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM
summerwind

funny, not one vote for the OS

well does GP package buy weight?
i ask as i'm going through the 2 Patriot kits i have and as i use to do in the past i'd always take 2 kits and make one light one by selecting all the lightest pieces first to make 1 kit. i've weighed parts against each other and where 1 kit has heavy plywood pieces, the other makes up fo it by having lighter ribs.........so on and so on
ends up that both kits are within an ounce of each other..............pretty impressive as that means all of us who buy this kit can come within the advertisd weight. assuming all other things are equal.

taking this further and going for all the lightest wood parts from each kit turned out to be 2 ounces lighter, and that means all soft wood in places where it needs to be medium hard. not worth it..
leaves 1 kit heavier than it's original weight, but the heavy parts can be replaced with lighter wood later should i need to build it.

too bad GP discontinued this one.[]
Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
DougV

This thread has giving me the patriot fever again , so I'm starting to take my patriot apart to recover it.

I hate removing monokote. [:@] any advise on how to remove it the easy way?

Mike, are you going to use one servo for the wings?, or are you doing a mod for two servos?

Here is what I did for two servos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72316.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1355320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39225.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1355321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13680.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1355322  
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
summerwind

hi Doug,

yes i'm going with a 9650 for each aileron.

i remove monokote with the use of a heat gun and Acetone..........of course the acetone is washed in after i can get the heat gun to remove any more
learned this from my FF days.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I've used hayes mounts with the Jetts, they work just fine.

The aluminum mounts are nice, and probably minisculey better at lessening vibration (if everything is bolted up tight). For the jett I would recommend either a bubblejet or Tetra bubbless tank. They take a bit to get use to filling, but if you go with three lines on a tetra tank, you don't need fancy jett tanker syringe to fill.

The 50 is a great motor, I've been abusing mine for years, first in whiplash, then in my Eindecker (long story). The BSE version definately looks nicer, but does not out perform the Cast case version. If cash is an issue, the cast case works fine and I believe a bit cheaper.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
summerwind

this may get turned into a build thread

was reading through some old topic on hinge sealing, came across one where Daven recommends Gap seal tape by NorthEast SailPlane Products.......

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1152

good stuff?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
summerwind

i ordered Spring Air retracts for this bird, but Spring Air is not going to have the air pump for quite some time i'm told.

will the Robart pump work?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

yes the robart will work, some of the guys at our field use a compressor that looks like a cordless drill, simple to use as well
Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: DougV

This thread has giving me the patriot fever again , so I'm starting to take my patriot apart to recover it.

I hate removing monokote. [:@] any advise on how to remove it the easy way?

Mike, are you going to use one servo for the wings?, or are you doing a mod for two servos?

Here is what I did for two servos.

Doug,

i like the way you did the servos in the wing. looks like i will do the same.
did you use CA hinges?

i like the color scheme too.....always something sinister about Black..............Monokote?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
summerwind

thx ifinney,

a frined of mine has one i can use........just didn't want to put a mojo on the SA's by using another brand pump
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 AM
GOGGLES PIZANO

GOT A YS45 REAR EXHAUST ON TUNED PIPE IN MINE.YEAH IT JAMS.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 PM
DougV

Hey Mike,

Yes CA hinges in there and Monokote covering. I also like the Black covering, I have another Jet that is painted Black as well.

Regards,
Doug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87729.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1358348  
Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Patriot 40 kit from a friend of mine and realized I'm missing the rolled plans for the fuselage. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

As for engine selection I was thinking of a YS 60 or 55 AX. Any thoughts or opinions on these?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Patriot 40 kit from a friend of mine and realized I'm missing the rolled plans for the fuselage. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

As for engine selection I was thinking of a YS 60 or 55 AX. Any thoughts or opinions on these?

Thanks
i have another kit coming to me that i won't need the plans to........you are welcome to them.............or if you can't wait, here is the link to parts listing for the Patriot.
they have most everything still in stock. i just bought a TE and LE set from them.

http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/gpma0430pl.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.