Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Whiplash test flight - crash survival

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash test flight - crash survival

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:18 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiplash test flight - crash survival

Well, the weather was a little less than perfect.. The Jett BSE FIRE 50 was running great on the ground... but went sick in the air about 1 min after being airborn.. It all of a sudden acted lean.... The engine quit and I was relatively low. Tried to turn it back towards the field, but the nose went down and I couldn't pull it up again. We all heard a thud when it went into a small tree. My thought was that I burried a very expensive plane/engine combo...but when we found it, it was still in the middle of the tree, with absolutely no damage.. Didn't even break a prop! Not a scratch on it, not a single ding..

Now I just have to figure out what happened to the engine, why it flamed out like that. Thanks Aerojet models for making such a strong airframe!!!!!!!!! After seeing it hit the tree dead on at a high rate of speed, I didn't think it was going to survive!

Thanks!!!
Deck
Old 07-09-2003, 06:59 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default crash

Thanks for the good words Vo, glad you survived.. now boys and girls dont try this at home with your Diamond Dust, Magnum or Shrike
Old 07-09-2003, 07:05 PM
deckerv

LOL... I gotta say Rick.. I'm sold on the durability alone
Old 07-09-2003, 07:41 PM
RampRat

Well... It's twice the cost of the Magnum, and my first Magnum has taken a lot more beating than any other plane i've seen, so i'll stick with to what i have...

...and the Magnum is a lot better looking than the Whiplash....
Old 07-09-2003, 08:56 PM
KC-Lovespeed
My Feedback: (26)

My shrike 40, has had a 36 TT, Irvine 53 and now Jett 50, 2 yrs old, many many fast flights !
Old 07-09-2003, 09:49 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Deck,

You may find you will need to go much richer than for a normal plane. These speed planes tend to unload a lot in the air. Another thing I've found is if you pull some major g's you will also starve the engine.

Mark
Old 07-10-2003, 10:12 AM
deckerv

Thanks!! I'm going to try much richer...... It quit when I was flying straight and level Thanks for the info, and I guess we're trying it again tonight

Deck
Old 07-21-2003, 10:28 AM
deckerv

well.. worked on the elevons and now have sufficient travel.. WOW is all I can say about this speed demon.... BUT on the 3rd flight, I did a roll to the left, and the screw holding the right servo arm came out and the right elevon was now useless.. Tried to nurse it around, but on final it finally went into a straight down spiral going very fast. It has been raining here a LOT so the ground was soft.. and we had to pull that JETT Fire 50 out of the ground about 1 foot deep..... The only damage to the whip was a broken motor mount, which should be able to be fixed... I think the engine is fine thanks to the soft ground and absence of any rocks in the crater it left... Oh well... play with FIRE and you're going to get burned Reminder.. check EVERY screw before each flight!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:20 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Man, you've had a run of bad luck of epic proportions! Look at the bright side...it can't get much worse ( I was going to say, "It could be worse, it could be raining, but....)
Old 07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
deckerv

LOL... seems that way as of late I'm guessing it'll take me about 30 min to fix.. I just hope my jett is ok Everything looks ok, and it hit no rocks when it went in.. just really really soft moist dirt...