Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

OPS 65 Control line

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OPS 65 Control line

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:03 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPS 65 Control line

Stumbled across this today, pretty cool, I get dizzy just looking at it.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...84252785kPVdxE
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: OPS 65 Control line

you'd get dizzy flying it too.[X(]
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait until we try the RC versions this spring. Without lines they go even faster.. [X(]

MJD
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 AM
dhal22

i don't know. i've seen a video of a control line car (tether car?) that was flatout screaming. kind of a dumb hobby but to each their own. of course i think the same about control line planes too.[X(]
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

and just for the record here, that ops 65 wasnt using a a pipe, the rules dont allow it anymore, and yes they use the same sleeve and piston, and low and behold the engine isnt ruined by this type of operation either, and MJD, did yah see the new ops .15 sport speed engine?....i am evil[>:]
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've watched a fair amount of C/L Speed from a distance as a combat competitor. I'm always amazed at the number of guys still doing it. It's not the easiest sport to find a place to practice and it usually looks to me that most of the guys don't get much practice during the year or a chance to try different things out.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
smoknrv4

I've flown a little CL, and Its a real laugh, two of the older fellas in my club do both and they taught me, originally I was just curious about it, what was the drawing power it had on some people to do it, it looked kind of silly to me at first, my father flew CL when he was young also, so I knew a little about it, but I gotta say, don't try it after a couple[sm=bananahead.gif].. you'll end up on the ground, I get dizzy towards the end of the flight anyways.
Those speed CL guys are nuts I think, after watching a few Vids on You Tube, but again as long as they're having fun.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
combatpigg

I've heard that it takes strength to get the handle of a D Speed model placed safely back into the pipe stand after it takes off. I'm surprized to hear that they are run un-piped now. The difference in speed is negligible I'll bet?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM
dhal22

i would have thought CL would have died out with the advent of radio control. i have no idea why it still exists.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
lfinney

it ramped back the D speeds and costs, low nitro and no pipes, D was well over 200 then and now its back up, all the new materials and the like.... i was at the nats in 75? at march air force base, and helped fuel and start some of the speed planes, they went thru pistons like lite beer, this was the last time they let them use hydrazine as a fuel additive, thank God!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
combatpigg

Combat is like a sword fight at 60 feet. At one time a guy needed a certain amount of building and design skill, some prowess with engines and prop work, some athletic ability, a lot of perseverence and resourcefulness.

Precision stunt is similar in some ways, the full pattern is very hard to fly perfectly. It's all about the challenge. Their planes are the lightest and most beautifully executed. When the last of the "Old Masters" of this craft dies off, stamped out "cookie cutter" ARF planes shall rule the Earth.

Speed is for the machinist, prop-meister and detail freak. The goal is obvious, no judging or politics, just a stop watch. You can compete with only yourself if you have to. The flying must be a real kick in the pants. I've done 115 mph on 60 foot lines...I don't think I could keep up with much more.

C/L was all I could afford back in the early 1980s. I felt I should have a career, house, car, be debt free and have money in savings before indulging too deeply in what amounts to a pretty expensive sport.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
lfinney

i agree, it is a brotherhood of technofreeks and geeks, and master craftsmen, will naemura up your way is a fine example of that science and art of c/l speed. the hydrazine got a few of the best as well, its a very nasty carcinogen, a rocket tech at vandenburg AFB drop a wrench down a silo..... the guys the got a serious soaking of hydrazine died very quickly.. the others that got small splashes got a lot of skin cancers down the road...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
combatpigg

I cut Willie's combat plane loose on a full tank in Eugene and it was one of the best fly-aways I've ever seen in 25 years. The plane went on a fantastic voyage for a few minutes way "out there", then suddenly made a bee line back to the contest site at full speed.....like a kamikazi attack. It ran out of fuel and landed neatly in a pasture just a couple hundred feet from where we stood.
Funny how a lot of those C/L guys want nothing to do with RC.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
lfinney

i have been plenty spooked by a runaway or a plane coming in on the circle, its really hectic with rat racing or combat, i always was nervous about putting the thong on my wrist, thinking, i want to be able to run like hell without fiddling with getting free from the handle[>:]
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 AM
combatpigg

A friend got his .36 powered combat plane tangled straight overhead with another guy's plane and it somehow decided to shoot straight down at him from 60 feet up, full power. The prop nut / prop / engine hit his hand as he covered his face and the styrofoam leading edge of the wing broke his collar bone. He was done for the weekend.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 AM
dhal22

yikes!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
C_Roundy

ORIGINAL: dhal22

i would have thought CL would have died out with the advent of radio control. i have no idea why it still exists.
There is just nothing like the FEELING of being physically connected with the handling nuances of your model, it is a very visceral experience...
Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said it. RC guys are sometime quick to denounce it (not beating on you dhal, just a general observation), but the fact is that connection to your hand where you can feel the aircraft respond through the lines makes it a heck of a lot more interesting than you might think. With ukies, sure you only get one control axis, but it feedsback directly to the flier, whereas 6 channels of RC don't except through your eyes. I don't recall many things I've done airplane-wise that were more fun than the days when I and a couple of buddies used to meet at a local schoolyard to fly 1/2A sheet ukies, both solo and in fun combat. But yeah RC is a lot of fun too.. it's ALL good.

MJD
Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
smoknrv4

ORIGINAL: C_Roundy

There is just nothing like the FEELING of being physically connected with the handling nuances of your model, it is a very visceral experience...

Thats what I'm talkin' about, its a really cool feeling.