Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Another Screamin' Demon build!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Another Screamin' Demon build!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Screamin' Demon build!

Alright guys a buddy of mine purchased a SD kit from Mike which just arrived today. For some reason I volunteered to built it for him. It seems that to get him to actually race my Nelson powered Weston Magnum (a thread which I hope to revive when the weather breaks) entails me building the plane for him. Anyway power will be a brand new custom built rear exhaust Q40 Jett motor that my buddy paid a pretty penny for, and should be good for mega speed. I will post my findings here, at the very least for encouragement to actually finish it.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Another Screamin' Demon build!

Glad it got there, I was slow shipping it out with a bunch of kafuffle going on around here the last two weeks, so out of guilt I upgraded to the slightly-less-slow service our postal system had to offer. BTW the cowl sits atop the fuselage, and forms the top half of the 2" spinner ring or can be set back against it as the builder sees fit. I'm a little tender this week (just out of neck surgery and happily buzzing on percoset right now..[sm=bananahead.gif]), but will get that laid up and on it's way soon as I am able.

If I was going to volunteer to build a kit for someone I'd pick one of these, they only take 5-6 hours to frame up with a beer break in there somewhere. But make sure Tom thinks you toiled for days on it.

That engine will flat out haul this thing esp. with the cowl. I hesitate to make any estimates but I will not be surprised if it tickles a certain magic round number.

MJD
Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Sessholvlaru

Percosets? You couldn't have thrown a few of those in the box??? Hope the neck feels better, though. I will probably get started on it tonight but there is no hurry. Where's CP? I saw his 200mph FAI setup on eBay!?!? -Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 60 LX that needs a home will one of these do ok with it in it?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

Percosets? You couldn't have thrown a few of those in the box??? Hope the neck feels better, though. I will probably get started on it tonight but there is no hurry. Where's CP? I saw his 200mph FAI setup on eBay!?!? -Chris
If I'd had a bottle of those a few days ago, who knows what would have showed up in the box. Or if it would have ever got there.. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Some 1" wide lumber, as is 1/2x1 balsa scrap or whatever, makes good rails to support the spars during construction. Run them fore and aft between the 2nd and third ribs. If you want to really fixture it, another strip span wise to support the back edge of the TE level with packing tape for glue release, works wonders.

Now if I could only talk you into covering it with Stits fabric and shrinking it at about 350F.. holy torsional strength Batman. Beats the heck out of any iron ons.

MJD

Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Oh yeah baby! There are several engines that are "perfect" for it. That's one of them. Say hello to 180 while you're there.

MJD
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll 2nd that, the 60 lx would be perfect, small case and high power to weight ratio for the SD!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:24 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

welcome to the neck surgery club MJD, i have had two so far, oxycodone and gray goose worked for me[8D], the fricking neck brace was the worst of it during recovery, c2-3 fused and laminated then c3-4 fused and laminated, and a fair bit of titanium as well[>:], frickin stainless staples itched something fierce[:'(]
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

ChuckL did a build thread, or maybe it was in my build thread, using a 60LX in a SD. Also see (his) the second testimonial at
http://mikesrc.us/
Seems to be a very good match.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
RVman

ORIGINAL: MJD

Glad it got there, I was slow shipping it out with a bunch of kafuffle going on around here the last two weeks, so out of guilt I upgraded to the slightly-less-slow service our postal system had to offer. BTW the cowl sits atop the fuselage, and forms the top half of the 2'' spinner ring or can be set back against it as the builder sees fit. I'm a little tender this week (just out of neck surgery and happily buzzing on percoset right now..[sm=bananahead.gif]), but will get that laid up and on it's way soon as I am able.

If I was going to volunteer to build a kit for someone I'd pick one of these, they only take 5-6 hours to frame up with a beer break in there somewhere. But make sure Tom thinks you toiled for days on it.

That engine will flat out haul this thing esp. with the cowl. I hesitate to make any estimates but I will not be surprised if it tickles a certain magic round number.

MJD
hmph, at least he won't have to hack up the front end trying to fit a 5" long engine in there...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Sessholvlaru

Well upon examining the box, my worst fears were realized. No Percosets. Nada. However, I did find some wood and plans/instructions that appear to depict some kind of flying triangle. Hm. I guess I will deal with what I was given. Here are some pics. Note: Mike's Hard Lemonade not included.

Oh yeah. There was a Stegosaurus in the parts bag, no doubt deliberately placed there by Mike in an attempt to sabotage the build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55901.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1371909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78013.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1371910  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM
MJD

Based on some of the questions I've fielded, the dinosaur would probably be able to help some folks read the instructions.

Just kidding, nobody seemed to have any trouble. It's actually the production lot number. Plastic dinosaur = lot 1. And an odd sort of conversation piece. It's interesting how many people didn't comment on it. I figured maybe one guy would open it up with a 4 year old kid watching and get a laugh.

Next batch.. hmm, what else can I get in bags of 10 or 50 at the dollar store? Or packs of 10 at the drug store?

MJD

Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Based on some of the questions I've fielded, the dinosaur would probably be able to help some folks read the instructions.

Just kidding, nobody seemed to have any trouble. It's actually the production lot number. Plastic dinosaur = lot 1. And an odd sort of conversation piece. It's interesting how many people didn't comment on it. I figured maybe one guy would open it up with a 4 year old kid watching and get a laugh.

Next batch.. hmm, what else can I get in bags of 10 or 50 at the dollar store? Or packs of 10 at the drug store?

MJD

WHAT !!!! [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]

I GOTTA READ THE INSTRUCTIONS !?!?!?[sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

MJD

Joker! LOL
That's almost as funny as putting scented oil in your fuel and watch people sniff the air[sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Sessholvlaru

Ok well finally some progress pics for you guys! Here is the basic layout. So far, so good. The only thing I noted so far is that the long CF spar (arrow shaft, looks like) is a tad too long. Otherwise the fit is great!

Name:	Yw68029.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1425922  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Hey that looks familier[sm=72_72.gif]...I've seen one of those before on my bench.
Keep up the good work.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Sessholvlaru

smoknrv4: Well this build is for a friend, and I know he wants to follow it. Funny how the only way anyone at my field will race my Magnum is if I build a plane for them...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
tom3097
My Feedback: (2)

It made my day when I got an e mail that Chris posted something in this thread.Knowing how quick he builds when he puts his mind to it I'll pick up the rest of what we need this week.Yes I'm the lucky one he's building it for.He has much better building skills and being that he's also a better flyer he'll get to do the maden flight if he wants.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Sessholvlaru

Hey Tom. How do you want the wing tips cut? They can be square at the rear corners, or angled, rounded, etc.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Sessholvlaru

More progress. Here shown with my buddy Tom's custom Jett QM40 motor. Leading and trailing edges installed. Badass.

Name:	If10630.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1425934  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
tom3097
My Feedback: (2)

I just checked pics on Mikes site.I like the square corners.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Sessholvlaru

The tips are done and rough sanded. Jett tank also stuck in there to see how it fits. I don't understand the step regarding putting "1/4" triangle stock on the top and bottom of the engine mount as shown on the plans." I may be blind, but I don't see how or where the triangle stock goes on the plans. I get the two pieces behind the firewall, but not the "top and bottom" part. Anyone? Mike? I'd assume you mean top and bottom, running from the firewall to the nose? But no pictures reflect this.

Name:	Da83528.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1426044  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's great to see a Demon thread....[8D]

That engine looks pretty serious. It'll be fun to see how this package stacks up against your Nelson/Magnum.
This'll be like seeing a Hemi Cuda go up against a L88 Vette.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Sessholvlaru

CP: It will be cool to get both of them in the air at the same time! Do you know what the deal is with the triangle stock on the top/bottom of the engine mount? He can be the Vette...I love Mopars...
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Sessholvlaru

Some of the bottom sheeting has been glued on, the fins are set for gluing.

Name:	Ge94285.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1426071  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.