Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot40 build, a few problems...

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot40 build, a few problems...

Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Ravivos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot40 build, a few problems...

Hi all,
I recently started building a Patriot 40, the build is rather easy and pretty straight forward.
i plan on fully sheet the wing, glass and paint.
i also designed and built fillets in order to reduce drag
already got my retracts with shock absorbing struts... very nice.
am planing on mounting a high performance 50 sized engine, still trying to decide if i go with the Rossi 53 or the JETT 50 (the JETT 50 looks promising).

but, with these high performance engine, i will need a bigger fuel tank.
there is no room up front for a bigger tank and i though about mounting the tank right above the CG point.
does anyone have experience with the VP30 PERRY pump with the above stated engines? if it works, i wont have any problem mounting the tank anywhere i want.

any thoughts on this subject are welcomed.

Thanks
Raviv.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Patriot40 build, a few problems...

the tank compartment isn't the biggest, but you can get an 8 oz Bubble Jett tank up in there within 4 inches of the engine.
with that it makes it even easier to use two tanks once you decide to do so.
my plan is to switch to a 6 oz in front and an 8 oz Bubble Jett's behind. from my understanding, the Jett 50 will pull from that distance.
this is Methanolover's setup except he used a 12 and 8 oz tank........worked well, and he had a Jett 90 in his Patriot.
scroll down to post #7 and see his setup.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5131329

i know with a Jett motor, the fuel pump idea is fruitless at best, but i don't know how the Rossi will run with one.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Ravivos

Hi summerwind,
thanks for the responce my friend.

if you connect two tanks in a raw, and locate the bigger one (the last one on the engine-fuel tank chain) far from the engine, it really doesnt matter that you use a small tank in the middle, the engine will still have to pull the fuel from the tank far away.

this is why i was thinking of using a perry pump, so it wont matter where do i locate the fuel tank and can get persistance responce from the engine without the affect of attitude and fuel level in the tank.

the question is, will a JETT or a ROSSI or any other high revving engine will work well with one of those pumps.
i really dont want to limit myself to 4 minutes of flight, and was thinking of using a 12 oz tank (320cc-350cc)
Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Another thread where Bob says do not use a Perry pump with a Jett and how to set up something that WILL work.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5609263
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: Ravivos
i really dont want to limit myself to 4 minutes of flight, and was thinking of using a 12 oz tank (320cc-350cc)
Hi ,

If help in some , I flew mine 8 min. with 10 oz. tank with the Rossi 53. Not much time but not just 4 min.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Ravivos

Hi Mike, thanks for the link

Speedboy, did the 10oz tank fitted nicely inside the nose compartment or did you changed something?

anyway, using two serial tanks will still make the engine pull the fuel from the lower one, just wonder if the mixture wont change drastically when going from horizontal to vertical...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
summerwind

can't speak for the Rossi, but the Jett combined with Bubble Jett tanks works very well.................you aren't pulling from the rear tank like you think as the pressure from the Jett is pushing on the bladders, plus you won't have any foaming issues. the idea of using a 6 oz BJ tank in front is that it is smaller diameter, and fits almost all the way up to the FW and doesn't push the 8oz B J tank back much more than 1.5-2 inches back from where it would be anyways thus not creating any problems as even at 6 inches back the fuel draw is fine.
you have to think outside the box on this one...........otherwise, give a Perry pump a try.
pumps are great when everything is just right.......off a bit, and it's blast trying to figure things out.............no not really.
if you use a V30 pump though, where will you mount it?.........there is hardly enough room as it is.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
SpeedBoy

Speedboy, did the 10oz tank fitted nicely inside the nose compartment or did you changed something?
When I built the airplane it fitted nicely , then I needed to change the stopper because a leak was there , I took out the tank and then I couldn't put it inside again ( the things were different once the airplane was built ) and I decided to use a new 8 oz tank , I can fly just 6 min. now. [>:]

Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: SpeedBoy

When I built the airplane it fitted nicely , then I needed to change the stopper because a leak was there , I took out the tank and then I couldn't put it inside again ( the things were different once the airplane was built ) and I decided to use a new 8 oz tank , I can fly just 6 min. now. [>:]

and a screamin 6 minutes that is eh Hector?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: summerwind

and a screamin 6 minutes that is eh Hector?
Oooh yeeeeahh !!!!! 6 min. of adrenaline to me .