Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Rifle

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Great Planes Rifle

Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
jeffk464

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Rifle

Anyone think this is going to be any good? Great planes usually makes at least decent stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35695.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1466064  
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
nickbeck
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Great Planes Rifle

im interested too.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 AM
dhal22

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wonder if i can get my Jett .90 in that plane. [X(]
Old 12-02-2010, 06:09 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob, but you gotta cowl it too.

I like their ad copy - a "90mph thrill ride!" [X(]. Duck and cover!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 AM
nickbeck
My Feedback: (13)

also like the part were they say "do not take your eyes off this aircraft or you will loose it"
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM
THRL-CKER

Ok, I got one and ordered anotherone. What do think the best motor for it would b?

I don't know nothing about electrics, but after seeing a speed 400 plane fly recently at our field I got to have one. These thisng are hitting 180 and some over 200MPH. I think I will go back to the buddy box to fly it........

Jim
Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
zero-cool

right on,Ive been flying nitro forever.q-500s dds all with jett 50s on them but i have seen the speed 400 planes going crazy fast and i think im going to make the jump and switch.the rifle looks great.electric is the wave of the future for speed.I never thought i would say that.post back with a after flight report.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: THRL-SKER

Ok, I got one and ordered anotherone. What do think the best motor for it would b?

I don't know nothing about electrics, but after seeing a speed 400 plane fly recently at our field I got to have one. These thisng are hitting 180 and some over 200MPH. I think I will go back to the buddy box to fly it........

Jim
Here are my best descriptions of how the Rifle flies at these Watts ratings; I tried to upload my pdf attachment illustrating some of the motors I've tried and the resulting current draw and Watts output, but it won't upload. I'll try again another time:

250W (28-35-2700 Ammo): 100 - 110mph, good speed, but at this power keep the plane normally light—no modifications required, just stay away from oversize servos, batteries and ESC. A good toss with the wings level is also important. Headwind helps—DO NOT launch with the wind!

300W (24-33-3180 Ammo, ARC 28-37-2.5): A very nice setup. Easily 120+mph speed. Launch conditions and technique a little less critical, but still use headwinds if present.

350W (ARC 28-37-2, 1500mAh 25C battery): Now we're stepping it up. Not for beginners. Don't try this unless you've already flown with 300W or are a darn good pilot to begin with. Less thinking, more reacting (which means, in order to react without thinking you better already know what you're doing because there's not enough time to think!). This is when being skilled and confident enough to turn hard and fast helps to keep the plane closer. Otherwise, the Rifle can get away. At this power (and beyond), you still want a nice toss, but launches will be a non-event because the plane gains speed and altitude immediately. Here’s a nice video flying my Rifle with the 350W setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxi61oxfnM

Over 350 Watts you should modify the wing by inserting carbon spars.

450W (ARC 28-37-2, 1800mAh - 2200mah 25/30C battery): Now we're getting really serious – only for those already experienced with this type of plane. 140 - 150mph. To accommodate larger batteries you may have to grind out the bottom of the plywood front former and reinforce the bottom of the fuselage with Dave Brown carbon fiber tape http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXB964&P=ML . Heavier batteries put more stress on the wing, so now you should fly a little larger, more carefully, but you can still fly with the throttle "firewalled." Without any tail weight, your C.G. will be ahead of the recommended range (about 3/16" behind the wing TE), but the Rifle doesn't seem to care. But you may want to increase your up elevator throw by about 1/32" to 1/16" (but use high rates only for landing).

Here’s a link to a 480W flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOzm...eature=related

600W (MEGA 16/15/2, Hyperion 1800 35C battery): Now you're off the grid. My Rifle with this setup was "dopplered" at around 165mph – and that was on the first/second flight of brand new batteries. The most important thing is to remember to turn it in time, otherwise you'll lose sight of it. Also, to keep your Rifle close, rather than doing banked turns, perform a “humpty bump” with a pull over the top: Pull to a vertical up line, half roll, then pull over the top making a gigantic ¼ loop returning to level flight—this all happens within seconds! It keeps your turnarounds and all your passes on the same line.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
maxvertical

Thanks for posting those numbers. Seems like right about 350W is a good place to be. I'm more afraid of the size than the speed.. LOL, like you said, it goes away fast. I picked my ship up tonight and oh my word it's small. Very cool.
Thanks again
CR
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: krproton

600W (MEGA 16/15/2, Hyperion 1800 35C battery): Now you're off the grid. My Rifle with this setup was ''dopplered'' at around 165mph – and that was on the first/second flight of brand new batteries. The most important thing is to remember to turn it in time, otherwise you'll lose sight of it. Also, to keep your Rifle close, rather than doing banked turns, perform a “humpty bump” with a pull over the top: Pull to a vertical up line, half roll, then pull over the top making a gigantic ¼ loop returning to level flight—this all happens within seconds! It keeps your turnarounds and all your passes on the same line.

Sounds like this would be a good trainer set-up for glow powered RC speed aircraft.

MJD
Old 02-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Strykaas

Where to buy a rifle in Europe ?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Jlitz

I was wondering if my eflite 400 inrunner with eflite 25 amp escwould work and what battery as I only have 3s 2100 on hand?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Is it the E-flite Six Series motor? 2000KV or 2700KV?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Jlitz

It's the Park 400 brushless,4200kv.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes that motor will work but you will need to run a APC 4.1x4.1 prop and no bigger or you will fry the motor. you will be about 26-30 amps.

100-110 range on speed.
your limiting factor is that small motor.

get a 28 mm motor with a 2500-3000 kv range

the eflight six series 2700kv motor with a APC 5x5 is a good combo
Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Jlitz

Thanks for the info and what about the 2100 lipo will that work or should I go with something else?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: Jlitz

It's the Park 400 brushless,4200kv.
That should be a GREAT motor for a 2S setup. I have a 2S setup with a 24-33-4040kV inrunner Ammo with a 5.0 x 5.0 prop and a 2S 1800mAh 25C battey. It's fabulous. Still fast enough for sure, but light and really nimble. Also flies for four minutes. I can post a video from home later if you want to see.

Being that your motor is a 4200kV you might also want to try a 4.75 x 4.75 prop (slightly smaller to draw less currenttry both with Watts Up meter to see how much current you are pulling).

Beginners should coniser 2S if they are a little intimidated by the speed.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 AM
bpbrinson

The Rifle WILL break at the upper power levels. Even at the lower levels if you pull too hard. The Pylon models in this link will not break at any power level or flying style. The ones in the 30 inch class were the old speed 400 class. The 1 meter (40 inch) were the old F5D and the 50 inch are the current F5D class. F5D racers are turning 4.75X4.75 props close too 50,000 rpm and exceed 200 mph in straight runs easily.

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=265

Brooks
Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: bpbrinson

The Rifle WILL break at the upper power levels. Even at the lower levels if you pull too hard. The Pylon models in this link will not break at any power level or flying style. The ones in the 30 inch class were the old speed 400 class. The 1 meter (40 inch) were the old F5D and the 50 inch are the current F5D class. F5D racers are turning 4.75X4.75 props close too 50,000 rpm and exceed 200 mph in straight runs easily.

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=265

Brooks
The Rifle should not break under any circumstances (however hard or quickly you pull) as long as it is flown within the limits specified in the instruction manual (no more than 300 Watts, 19.2 oz, specified control throws). If it does break under these circumstances, your warranty will be honored. We've had no claims since the wing was strengthened last yearnot to say that nobody has broken a wing, but we just haven't been made aware of it.

Brooks, do you know what is an "upper" power leval and a "lower" power level? I don't know what that means. Maybe you could help out other readers of this thread by clarifying?

Thanks!

Tim
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 AM
bpbrinson

I used your guide (up to 600w) as the reference for upper vs. lower, however I have seen a "stock" (Ammo is all he said) break on a very abrupt pull up. I just realized that you "have a dog in the hunt" being Hobbico and all. So, no offense Tim. The Rifle is a good mainstream product within the limits of the specifications. I was just reporting what I had witnessed and I know how speed guys are, more is better. Myself, being a speed guy for almost 25 years, have broken many airframes in the air over the years due to exceeding the manufacturer specs. I was just giving the folks that frequent this forum a choice in airframes that I found years ago that can handle as much as can be stuffed in them.

Brooks
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at this plane in the hobby shop thinking i might get one since i had a 24mm ammo motor just setting around. well once i pulled it out of the box. i put it right back in and and didnt buy it. Its heavy and the trailing edges are very thick. Good for new guys getting into planes in this speed range. A good set up would be a 28mm motor with around 2000 kv on a APC 6x5.5 decent speed and good pull in the launch.

The plane isnt for me. It would make a good project for a Norvel with one ounce round tank.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: bpbrinson

I used your guide (up to 600w) as the reference for upper vs. lower, however I have seen a ''stock'' (Ammo is all he said) break on a very abrupt pull up. I just realized that you ''have a dog in the hunt'' being Hobbico and all. So, no offense Tim. The Rifle is a good mainstream product within the limits of the specifications. I was just reporting what I had witnessed and I know how speed guys are, more is better. Myself, being a speed guy for almost 25 years, have broken many airframes in the air over the years due to exceeding the manufacturer specs. I was just giving the folks that frequent this forum a choice in airframes that I found years ago that can handle as much as can be stuffed in them.

Brooks
Thanks Brooks.

Yes, I have a "dog in the hunt," but I don't try to conceal that.

I wonder what else were the circumstances of the Rifle that you saw break? I wonder what battery, prop, throws, etc.? I guess we'll have to assume the motor was indeed stock as you report (but we cannot be certain due to third party information). Then, I wonder why the person didn't submit a warranty claim or call Product Support to complain? Maybe he did, but I didn't hear about it?

No offense taken - sincerely.

Yes, the Rifle is great for the mainstreem. But if you want to go outside of the mainstream, you can. Slip in a carbon spar and a MEGA 16/15/2 with a 4.1 x 4.1, turn 38,000rpm and go 165mph! (You'll also need an MP Jet spinner to withstand the higher rpm.)

The speed guys you reference are what prompted me to push the Rifle (and my own knowledge about this class) farther and farther, first venturing outside the 300 Watt limit up to around 350W, then 400 - 480W, now I'm flying my MEGA setup around 600+ Watts! (Image attached). I have learned a lot from guys like this (and your self) and can now pass this information down to others who wish to do the same.

Best regards,

Tim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40324.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1625659  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I looked at this plane in the hobby shop thinking i might get one since i had a 24mm ammo motor just setting around. well once i pulled it out of the box. i put it right back in and and didnt buy it. Its heavy and the trailing edges are very thick. Good for new guys getting into planes in this speed range. A good set up would be a 28mm motor with around 2000 kv on a APC 6x5.5 decent speed and good pull in the launch.

The plane isnt for me. It would make a good project for a Norvel with one ounce round tank.
Understood.

Yes, the quality isn't the same as a Sunracer III, Voodoo, etc. But you can still go 120mph easily with much less at steak (dollar investment). Even on 2S you can still go around 100mph, then the plane is lighter (around 16.5 oz RTF w/1800mAh battery) making it easier for a beginner to launch, land, fly slowly, etc.

Higher kV motors (around 4,000kV) also make tremendous power (for easy launches) on a 4.1 x 4.1 or 4.5 x 4.1 (depending on the precise kV). Then, as previously mentioned, you'll want to reinforce the wing with a carbon spar.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Jlitz

Just starting out with the higher speeds I will stick with the Rifle and looking at the Voodoo I will wait untill I get a little more comfortable with 100+ LOL before I indulge myself with even higher speeds. Thanks guys for ll of your help and I will keep you posted on my Rifle.