Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Old 09-04-2010, 02:56 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Airframe pre order $280.00
evo 60 $150.00
muffler ( by Jett) $60.00
retracts $
have trouble finding HAN501 or HAN502 but two retract servos needed for mechanical

I guess I build my patroit kit
Crazy, I'm missing your point as the only difference between the two is the airframe cost. Once you ad the glues & covering cost to the kit you'll be in the same ballpark as the ARF...
At least that,s how I see it.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ME thinks 280.00 is a bit steep for the Jackal: a 50 size plane, of built up construction, and fixed gear. [:@]

I bought my patriot kit for $80.00, I can buy a lot of glue and covering for $200.00.
And if you saw my basement...it looks lie a hobby shop but not so well organized.[&o]

H9 webpage spoke of retracts but searck for HAN501 & HAN502 (retracts) came up empty, also accessories link showed 3 servos & no retracts at alll.
Just pre launch shortcommings? [sm=drowning.gif] They did list a lot of spare/replacement parts for the plane.[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Building your own also gives you advantages on customizing strength issues according to what powerplant your going to use and such, who knows how an arf is assembled, although I do understand they've come a long way as far as quality. But 280$? Geesh
Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

Well The Patriot is Discontinued... so.. it's great that you have one. However for the rest of us it's either pay about $100 to 135 + Shipping via E-Bay for the likes for a kit.

Granted even at say $135 for a Patriot your well ahead of the Jackal owner. <for initial purchase price>

That is hopefully your Patriot kit has all the bits and pieces in that old box. Oh, thats if your box arrives in 1 piece <thanks you UPS NOT!!>

No Doubt you still have the upper hand when it comes to building it like you want... as well you do have to build yours.

Even the fasted builder will be put to shame by the avg guy assembling a Jackal. Is that worth anything? Your time I mean to say.

Same goes for repairs... need something Call H9 and it's here in a week.

It's not even remotely fair to compare the Jackal or any ARF model to a kit. If you want to be fair, compare it to another Prop Jet ARF. Oh thats right... you can count those on one hand.

Tommy D
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Crazy4Flight

FOR $280.00 I would expect the retracts to be included, and a fibreglass fuse.

the build quality of todays ARFs and the materials they use in them, IMHO, leaves much to be desired.
but the covering looks real good!

example Nitroplanes.... toss the supplied hardware away. and reglue everything visible
example Goldberg Skylark ARF: all wood motor mount! True to original: wire -wood dowel-wire pushrod assemblies.

I will pass on this ARF and build my patroit.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Crazy4Flight

Wingspan: 46.9 in (1191mm)
Overall Length: 55.9 in (1420mm)
Wing Area: 496 sq in (32.0 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 7.50 - 8.25 lb (3.40 - 3.75kg)
Engine Size: 2-Stroke .52 - .60 small case engine required
Radio: 4 channel minimum; 6-7 if using flaps and retracts
Servos: 5 minimum; plus Flaps (2), Retracts Pneumatic (1) or Mechanical

WOW thats heavy!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ME thinks you're a little bit harsh

It looks like it flies just fine with the specified weight and it has flaps to slow down for landing (see vid)
Also regarding the price, I think it is within the price-range one would expect today. Don't forget the $280 is a suggested retail price. The street price can drop to just a bit over $200 as any other ARF would.
That said, if for some reason you don't like this particular product (by now we all now know your opinion ) don't buy it. Myself (and others here) like this plane

I'm not trying to attack you personally, but would like to see this discussion to be a constructive one for everyone.

Just my 2cents

WOW thats heavy!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 AM
_Tommy D

+1 <better said then I could ever do>

I say build the Patriot... open a thread with a creative title like the "$80 Jackal Crusher" and we will all follow along!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
smoknrv4

ORIGINAL: _Tommy D

+1 <better said then I could ever do>

I say build the Patriot... open a thread with a creative title like the ''$80 Jackal Crusher'' and we will all follow along!

LOL
Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: vasek

ME thinks you're a little bit harsh

It looks like it flies just fine with the specified weight and it has flaps to slow down for landing (see vid)
Also regarding the price, I think it is within the price-range one would expect today. Don't forget the $280 is a suggested retail price. The street price can drop to just a bit over $200 as any other ARF would.
That said, if for some reason you don't like this particular product (by now we all now know your opinion ) don't buy it. Myself (and others here) like this plane

I'm not trying to attack you personally, but would like to see this discussion to be a constructive one for everyone.

Just my 2cents

WOW thats heavy!

Please look again at horizon web page for the jackal...suggest list is 389.99 will price drop to low 200 ???
Since no info on the retract systems (han501 han 502) as to chinese or Robart or Spring air, it would be hard to say if I might go the 280 if the air retracts were included.
I guess I have not followed the new market prices much but prices for EVO 60 and muffler seem to be in line with the market.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
summerwind

well this is a bunch of hogwash if ever there was HOGWASH!!
i bought 3 kits for around 100 bucks, all 3 were in perfect condition and the sellers had the brains to ship them via USPS.
all kits had all the parts, and one is being saved for templates.
my first build was rekitted recently by me, but is rebuildable. it was a good learing experience, and i'll now know what to do when it looks like a delta wing is on the verge of a powerup stall...........like ride it out and let it land off the runway[:@] the total weight came out to 6lbs with retracts and Jett 50.
the Jackal will be around 7.5 lbs right?
definately helps in a dive, but vertical will suffer.
what does building speed have to do with the finished bird?
i will buy the Jackal, but i don't hold my breath on it's performance against a modified Patriot, but nevertheless it looks like a "i gotta try one" bird and should get some ohhs and ahhs.
i have spring-air retracts that will go into this bird, and a Jet 56 or 50, so money has already been spent, but i too think it's overpriced by 100 bucks. then again i remember the SD when it first came out.....overpriced, but you pay up front for the first of anything these days.
don't get me wrong, in today's busy lifestyle, ARF's are fantastic solutions to those who don't have time to build, or the skills to build, but they are often short lived either to lack of love from building them, or they simply fall apart.
it's just sad to see the refinements in modeling all going to ARF's that are made over in another country that sports weapons of destruction.
the price as of now is overblown.
building from a kit is true speed enthusiasm..........

Well The Patriot is Discontinued... so.. it's great that you have one. However for the rest of us it's either pay about $100 to 135 + Shipping via E-Bay for the likes for a kit.

Granted even at say $135 for a Patriot your well ahead of the Jackal owner. <for initial purchase price>

That is hopefully your Patriot kit has all the bits and pieces in that old box. Oh, thats if your box arrives in 1 piece <thanks you UPS NOT!!>

No Doubt you still have the upper hand when it comes to building it like you want... as well you do have to build yours.

Even the fasted builder will be put to shame by the avg guy assembling a Jackal. Is that worth anything? Your time I mean to say.

Same goes for repairs... need something Call H9 and it's here in a week.

It's not even remotely fair to compare the Jackal or any ARF model to a kit. If you want to be fair, compare it to another Prop Jet ARF. Oh thats right... you can count those on one hand.

Tommy D
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM
_Tommy D

Just because I love you Guyz!

Use the following coupon code for 10% off ANYTHING at Horizon. Promo Code: STF101D54C

So the Jackal now costs you $252 shipped.

Tommy D

<Who favors shipping via FedEx so I must be an idjit! [&:] >
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 PM
mk1spitfire

Over on the jet section, people are allready probing whether they can install the new tiny jetcat p20se in the jackal
Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
summerwind

Just because I love you Guyz!

Use the following coupon code for 10% off ANYTHING at Horizon. Promo Code: STF101D54C

So the Jackal now costs you $252 shipped.

Tommy D

<Who favors shipping via FedEx so I must be an idjit! [&:] >
thx Tommy, that takes the edge off................hope my LHS will take this discount.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:00 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Over on the jet section, people are allready probing whether they can install the new tiny jetcat p20se in the jackal
be cool if they offered it in both versions.........as it is, the CG is gonna be the big issue if one tries to convert it.
that with the already high weight ratio, might as well just stick to a design that is built around the turbine.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:49 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

be cool if they offered it in both versions.........as it is, the CG is gonna be the big issue if one tries to convert it.
that with the already high weight ratio, might as well just stick to a design that is built around the turbine.

Yer, true. I wish those tiny turbines were half the price. They would sell like hot cakes.

I've been on at westonuk to come out with a Jet Magnum, too.!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
summerwind

it would be a cool turbine entry tho at the price

right now i'm interested in the design for future build once i can draw plans up.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:44 PM
smoknrv4

be cool if they offered it in both versions
Like Cermark did with their F-16.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 PM
mk1spitfire

From Bill Brundle at hanger9, who justfys the price.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9982225[/link]
Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
summerwind

LOL.......that $30.00 spinner is the reason
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
bbrundle
My Feedback: (40)

Guys,

Glad to see the interest in the Jackal. Let me try and give you some more details and possibly answer some of the questions that you have posted.

The model you see me flying in the video has an all up weight of 7lbs. 9 oz. and I will tell you that at this weight the Jackal feels very nimble and light on the controls. In fact as you you can see the model slows down very nicely for landing with the use of flaps.

The flap are not an absolute necessity for landing, but do enhance this aspect of the flight profile and we all know the landing is what separates the men from the boys... If you so choose you acan fix the flaps in the up position as we have included an internal wood flap stay that will allow you to install flaps at a later date if you so choose.

I understanfd that you think the model is overpriced...well let's look at some of the features when compared so some of our more recent Hangar 9 releases in similar size.

1) The model has fully sheeted airfoiled tail surfaces
2) The wing is fully sheeted over a foam core to allow the airfoil to be as thin as we required and still maintain the strength for high speed.
3) The entire top black stripe on the fuselage is painted all the way from the cowl and onto the fin & rudder - this was done to stop the small pointed edges from peeling.
4) The top hatch is very generous and made from acrylic plastic to give better acces to all the interior gear.
5) The spiiner included with the Jackal is a CNC machined aluminumn lightedned back plate Hangar 9 spinner that we have painted white to match the model. 30.00 valus alone
6) The model uses tricycle gear which again adds complexity and cost when compared to a tail dragger
7) The inlets are fibergalss and are removable to allow the wings to pocket in to the fuselage and then the inlets slide up nice and tight to wing to keep the gaps to minumum. You will notice the inlets are designed to allow the boundary layer or air on the surface of the fuselage to pass by the inlets. This works to reduce drag and yet keeps the model looking more jet like.

Not many of you may know this when you campare this model to the Patriot, but both airplanes were designed by Mike McConville, so let's just say we incorporated some of the things that Mike thought were needed to that design.

The Jackal uses the new Robart PRS (Progressive Retract System)retracts which I have been developing with Robart for the last 18 months. These retracts are available as mechanical actuation (Two JR RT-88 servos) or Pneumatic. The reason these are called PRS is that we hope to be able to include the mechanical units with a Hangar 9 airframe and then if the modeler chooses he could purchase the air cylinder upgrade kit and convert to Pneumatic operation. These units come set up to accept Robostruts that you only need to cut the strut to length and then just slip intp the trunion and secure the set screw.

These retracts should bew availabel to next week as we have them in stock in the warehouse and the Jackal is on track to release the first part of October.

HAN501 Mechanical retracts 89.99
HAN502 Pneumatic retracts 159.99 includes complete air install kit
HAN502A Cylinder upgrade kit 95.99

I hope this information is helpful and we look forward to seeing these out there in your hands soon going faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
summerwind

hey Bill,

30 dollar spinner or not, i think this is gonna be a winner for the prop crowd.
it's really a great looking plane, and i know i want one.

as long as it's covered with Ultracote, i won't have any issues with it.

one question though, is it absolutely necessary to use the Robart retracts?

that will be the one issue that will keep me from going thru with the purchase
Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Crazy4Flight

Just think if it was a tru-turn spinner @ $60.00.

I bought several UK Magnum for $80 - $100 and they had sheeted foam wings!

But the real cost is the Dollar vs. Yen or Dollar vs. Chinese currency
Example I allmost bought new Futaba 12FG radio at tower for 750 - 70 (Xmas sale) 680 net and today it is 995
Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
summerwind

Just think if it was a tru-turn spinner @ $60.00.

I bought several UK Magnum for $80 - $100 and they had sheeted foam wings!

But the real cost is the Dollar vs. Yen or Dollar vs. Chinese currency
Example I allmost bought new Futaba 12FG radio at tower for 750 - 70 (Xmas sale) 680 net and today it is 995
i priced a Tru-Turn spinner for my HOB P-51, and with the lightening option of the backplate, the whole thing came up to 75 bucks.
the Hangar 9 P-51 spinner came out to be lighter and is only 30 bucks................i like to support US vendors, but 45 bucks is a hard chunk to throw away on a sport plane.
the H9 spinner was perfectly balanced, and runs true.

personally i will not use the included spinner, as i use Jett's intregal spinner which is also 30 bucks.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Crazy4Flight

Nice to know the gear is Robart, quality units.

I have Robarts in my Rookie II, that came out of my Kangaroo my 1st turbine jet.

Summerwind IMO go with the robart pnuematics do it right start to finish.

bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.