Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Just finished Shrike .40 - I got a ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Just finished Shrike .40 - I got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Frag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished Shrike .40 - I got a ?

I put a O.S. .46 FX in it and was looking for prop suggestions....also what is the best antenna exit and mount...and I think I'll leave the canopy off for better aerodynamic flow...launching suggestions - I'll probably be launching it by hand by myself - any tips appreciated..
Thanks-
Pete
Old 07-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Charlie E
My Feedback: (1)

Hey, I'm finishing up on mine as well. I'm also installing a 46 FX. I am interested in finding out how your solo hand launch goes. It's no problem hand launching my Shrike 10 but the 40 may be a challenge. Do you have pics of yours?

Charlie
Old 07-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Stuntpiloot

For 1st flight a 10x6 ? Aterwards a 9x7 or 8x8?

On the first flight I normally let somebody throw the plane, all the flights after that I like to throw myself. In this way, if the plane needs a trim on the first flight, you'll be faster with your correction, and it can save you a plane.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Frag

No pictures yet...maybe this evening. I covered it with red monokote on top and yellow on the bottom. Then I put chrome monokote with chrome flames trailing up front. Sealed all the hinges. This is only the second plane I've covered, so there are a fair amount of wrinkles and small bubbles, but hey I just want to go fast, it doesn't have to be pretty!
Pete
Old 07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Charlie E

I agree with Stuntpiloot, have a buddy to launch your first flight. That's what I plan to do. As far as the prop size...I've not decided yet...have to do some testing. More than likely somewhere in the range mentioned by Stuntpiloot.

Charlie
Old 07-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Frag

OK I'll see if one of the club members can meet me out there..you never know if anyone will be there on a Wednesday...I'd get my Dad to throw it but I'd hate for it to go in and have him to share the 'blame'...not that I would
Old 07-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Q-Ball

Default Pete

I cut a tiny notch in the very rear edge of the top hatch.That way the antenna streams out the rear between the fins.No problems.I'm running a 46 Pro with 10X6.Moves along mitey well.
A real funster
I agree with all that first flight should be started with both hands on the Tx for some quick corrections if needed. I'm ok with hand launching as long as I know what the plane will do when it's free.

Have Fun..Walt

I did redo the color scheme on the bottom for sure.It was solid moroon.Added gallon size paint can white circles and some flouresant yellow.Now I can see the blur..LOL
Old 07-30-2003, 05:36 PM
bobbdd

Default Shrike 40

I ran a Magnum 46 BB with a 9X8.5 APC and it could go 120 MPH clocked with a Radar Gun.

bobbdd
Old 07-31-2003, 12:51 AM
aaron2874

I flew my Shrike 40 for the first time today... HOLY COW!!! The plane flew me more than I flew it! I have a Magnum 46 on it with an 11x7 prop. Also, I drilled a small hole in the back of the hatch for the antenna to stream out. Works good.

This plane scared the crap outta me! I was lucky to get it back in one piece, but I did break the engine mount. I think I'm going to lower the rates till I get used to it. VERY TOUCHY! Also, I don't know how fast it is, but I'm pretty sure I was breaking 60 mph at 1/3 throttle. This sucker will really move if you get on it!

I had a buddy hand launch it for me. He just gave it a little toss and away it went with no problems. I started with up elevator, but as soon as he tossed it, I released the elevator. Hand launch is a piece of cake. I'm sure it would be no prob doing it yourself.

I wonder if they will build a Shrike 60...
Old 08-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Frag

I finally flew my new Shrike this weekend.. I had a very experienced rc pilot do the maiden flight which was scary to say the least...I'd never met the guy, but a friend that is very good said that he taught him. So, I get the plane started and he throttles up and I give it a throw up at 45 degrees...straight away it went, very little trim needed...man it was a real sight to see it whizzing around at 1/3 throttle...he flipped it over to high rates and did a couple of rolls...it must've rolled in about .30 seconds! He brought it in nice and flat, killed the engine and belly landed on the grass right in front of us...nice! OK now my turn...a friend hand launches it and straight away it goes..man it flies like a point and fly trainer.. no wierd tendencies..just point and it goes that way. I gave it full throttle on a couple of passes and then straight up. I had to back off and bring it back down or I woulda' lost it! Overall, a great kit and first few flights. By the way its a Lanier RC Shrike .40 kit.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Frag

Here's some pics of the Shrike from the other day.. there are video stills so not that great res.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99764_36895.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	55595  
Old 08-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Frag

Coming in!

Name:	99765_36895.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	55596  
Old 08-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Frag

One more....

Name:	99766_36895.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	55597  
Old 08-13-2003, 10:27 PM
SHRUG

I built my shrike about two months a go it flies great. I had a
TT.46 pro with a macks quiet pipe on it but I cooked it trying to make it go faster. I am now running a rossi .40 with a tuned pipe, an apc pylon 9x10 prop. It is turning around 15,000 rpms on the ground. I have no idea how fast it is going but I wont to go faster. I used a solid strip of 2 oz. fiberglass cloth to make hinges so there is no chance of flutter. I will post some pics later.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:31 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I hope you're not belly landing on the asphalt strip LOL!!!!

I've got a shrike 40 I should finish, not sure on engine choice, I have an OS61 that could work, but I'm leaning towards my OS91VRDF ducted fan engine LOL!!!!!

After Magnums and turbines, anything less than 150mph just seems sedate :P
Old 08-14-2003, 12:02 AM
eugene

Default shrike 40

Considering an engine for this plane......do not load the plane down with 60-90 size iron.. A webra speed 50 is perfect..very light, and powerful... flown two Shrikes with this engine, and a stock muffler, using an APC 9-9, easy to launch , and very fast, radared it at 146mph... Horizon Hobbies has the Webra for $129.00, a bargain for the HP..
Old 08-14-2003, 01:28 AM
Q-Ball

Default My second Shrike

Got the fuse built on my second Shrike. I've had one for bout a year but decided to put it in the air three months ago and man what a blast.
My question is how many of you Shrike flyers put the aileron servos on the bottom of the wing (two). Wondering whether to go with the plan method and use just one servo in the hatch.
Reason being that our runway is a plastic mat and when I land the plane will settle in the mat just enough to let the servo arms drag on the mat.In fact I pulled an aileron off last time out.I could put the servos in the top of the wing but don't like the look.
Have any of you put the servo in the hatch like the plan shows or do all of you use two on the wing??
I've gone different routes on different planes.I found that there's not that much difference in whether you use one aileron servo or two.Maybe in competition,I don't know.The handling characteristics are pretty close from what I could tell.
Thanx Walt
Old 08-14-2003, 05:44 AM
Stuntpiloot

Hey, this shrike thing looks a lot like a wonder
Does it also fly like one?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Frag

I put a servo under each wing and have had no problems yet. Its close, so I installed wing tip protectors at the underside of each wing tip. These not only protect the wing tip from dragging, but also keep the servo arm up a little bit when landing. Or you could install the servos IN the wing and mount them sideways with just the servo arm sticking up. I've used panels from here http://www.jbaccesspanels.com/ with good results on another plane. They give a really clean installation look.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:59 PM
SHRUG

I have the servos in the wing on mine I used some old wheel pants to make cover to protect the servos it also helps keep the wing off the ground.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Q-Ball

Default Thanx

When I get to that faze of the wing i'll put them in sideways if it works out.
I also have some old wheel pants that I sure won't be using. All the wheel pants that I've installed fell in love with the bottom of the wing. I don't do that anymore.

Did you just glue them directly to the monocoate? CA,epoxy or what. Good idea for sure.

Thanx guys
Walt
Old 08-15-2003, 12:38 AM
ADSPATTERN
My Feedback: (17)

Hey guys don't listen to that guy named Shrug. He don't know what he's talking about. No just kidding, he's a good friend of mine and he can fly the heck out of a plane. We have had alot of fun racing Dominators until his meet some oak trees while showing off. Now his shrike eats my dominator alive. That's all right, that just leads me to get better and faster. Has any one used TURBINES on a 40 shrike?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Q-Ball

Default Shrug

How would you compare the Shrike with the TT 46 Pro and the Rossi. Any faster.Heck,with a 9X10 prop something ought to lite off.

Did you run the 9X10 on the Thunder Tiger also.I'm wondering if there's a noticeable speed difference.

Your buddy is talkin' bout cha'..Keep an eye on m'..Something about an oak tree....LOL..
Later Walt
Old 08-16-2003, 01:16 AM
ADSPATTERN
My Feedback: (17)

Ok here is some more smack on the shrug man.......HE CRASHED HIS SHRIKE TODAY.........Run out of gas getting his butt beat by a little dominator....Had to dead stick it in and the elevons didn't work to well with no motor. I think this one was a pine tree. As you see I have no mercy on my buddy. But he would do the same to me. As far a the prop questions...we screwed around with several combos today:
All were APC:
1) 10 x7 shrug modified to a pointed tip. This give good rpm's but the plane was slow
2) 9x10 killed the rpm's and still flew slow
3) 9x6 pylon major rpm's and good speed
Shrug's rossi turned 16950 rpm's
My rossi turned 16350
Shrugs TT I've seen it over 17300
I don't know if this helped but I thought I would offer it.

Bottom Line Shrug Last Plane Flying Always Wins The Race!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:36 PM
SHRUG

Q-ball

I poked holes in the monocote and e-poxy the wheel pants on that way. they did not even come off in the pine tree.

As far as adspattern goes when you fly like and old lady you never loose a plane but what are friends for.

The rossi does not get the rpms the TT does but it sure does sound good I have not started cutting the pipe yet but now i have time sense I will have to build another plane. I have read that they will turn around 20,000 I will try.

The 9x10 did not give good results rpms went way down to about 15,000 on the rossi and even lower on the TT. I am going to try a 8x8 and a 7.75x8. So far the best prop we have found is the apc 9x6 pylon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.