RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   'Monoline", what's that ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/10162567-monoline%22-whats.html)

jay1st 11-27-2010 11:36 AM

'Monoline", what's that ?

Hi guys,

I found this while surfing the net.

The picture is quoted : "On shelf is a clockwise flying Monoline speed model by Jack Frye with monobloc O/D .29"

Seems very old, but looks way fast !

Any knowledge of this thingy ?

tnx

airbusdrvr 11-27-2010 01:55 PM

RE: 'Monoline

Centrifigul force, momentum and thrust kept it out at the end of the wire and the horizontal stab kept it level. I don't think it could fly more than a couple hundred mph.:D

MJD 11-27-2010 03:07 PM

An AMA class "B" speed model, .29 powered, flown on a monoline control line system. Typical good speeds for that class 160-170mph AFAIK. Monoline was used nearly exclusively for speed models, it is a system where the flier held a handle with one hand, and the other held a slider that, when slid back or forth, would rotate the wire. This rotation actuated the elevator. Think of those twirly party favour helicopter things that ride up a twisted shaft as you push up the little slider. One thicker line versus two thiner lines with a gap = less drag. The prop is likely in the ballpark of a 7x9, 7x10, something like that.

While CCW is the norm in control-line, the occasional flier preferred/prefers flying clockwise (LH- RH thing), and in speed some did so because engine torque would tend to assist line tension versus roll into the circle, the principle being that when you have two opposing forces - torque and trim in this case - you are wasting energy.

http://www.clspeed.com/

The current FAI (that's 2.5cc = .15 powered..) speed record is 208mph and the video of that flight was posted here a couple of weeks ago. It's on the bottom of page one: "Ok, so it's not RC, but it is extreme speed, and it is a prop plane". Check out the sound when it unloads and jumps onto the pipe - inflight rpm approaches 40k. These are the most critically tuned piped engines in any competition class. Props in this class are typically a single blade approx 3x6 (i.e. half of a 6" prop with a counterweight for balance).

airbusdrvr 11-28-2010 07:09 AM

MJD, good info about rotating single wire control. Back when I was a kid and had(never flew) a DynaJet Redhead pulse jet, there were plans that had just one outer wing, one outer horizontal stab and, as I recall, the single wire attached to the body. This wire then was attached to a center pivot post. After starting the pulsejet, it could be let go. It would roll a ways on its dolly, gain speed and lift from the dolly and be on its merry way zipping around the pivot post until it ran out of fuel.

jay1st 11-28-2010 08:03 AM

So, if I get it, it's control line, with 2 lines, as I don't see how can manage anything with only 1 line.
Except to keep it from flying away.

EDIT: after reading a "deeper" subject, this one is B class, and monoline.

MJD 11-28-2010 11:09 AM

It is control line, but with one line. Rather than two lines actuating a bellcrank via the regular handle, the monoline unit spins the wire CW or CCW of "center". The mechanism on the aircraft converts this to fore aft motion to the elevator pushrod. One line, elevator control. The thing with monoline is that the system does not lend itself to quick maneuvering, but for speed the rules is minimal control input, more like flying on the trims and holding a nice level smooth course for efficiency.

Airbusdrvr - sounds like you are describing the Mike Hoyt Sidewinder, or a similar model. Here is a recent version of the asymmetric approach: http://flyinglines.org/kb.tarfu.html . These are flown by the pilot, not just attached to a post. The pilot generally holds the handle free of the center pylon, and assists line tension on his/her feet until the model gets up some speed and is trimmed out, then hooks into the center pylon for the speed run. This ensures the radius of the circle is consistent and prevents "whipping" by the pilot, i.e. helping the mode along.

I've said this before on other threads, but don't think the wings are there for looks only, they do provide lift. But you don't need much wing at these speeds. Asymmetric designs with longer inside wings or only inside wings, benefit by covering a greater % of the line/lines - which are very draggy at speed.

Speed flying is a very technical pursuit, requiring far more in-depth engine knowledge than many other competition classes. Some people poo-poo it as not really flying, but that's not fair IMHO. It is a specialized form of flying, indeed, and is an event for the type of competitor who relishes the technical details that harvest every last mph out of a system. I've always found it very interesting.

smoknrv4 11-28-2010 11:36 AM

Thanks for that website MJD! Thats some cool sh%t, my goodness, looks like serious redneck stuff but still cool!:D