RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Shrike 40 with thinner airfoil (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/11238651-shrike-40-thinner-airfoil.html)

SpeedBoy 09-23-2012 09:58 PM

Shrike 40 with thinner airfoil

1 Attachment(s)
I reduced about 40% the airfoil and the fuselage was reduced in width and height also , the nose ended up just to fit a 2" spinner instead of 2-1/2" from original. Power plant is a Picco .60 F.I.R.E. still rich in break-in 17,000 RPM 10x7 with 0% nitro , no tuned yet.

Everything was sheeted , wings , stab and rudders.

It took me just 3 years to get it done :D

SpeedBoy 09-23-2012 10:00 PM

RE: Shrike 40 with thinner airfoil

1 Attachment(s)

SpeedBoy 09-23-2012 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Mikie 1 09-24-2012 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SOooo, have you flown it? How did she do?

I also have a Shrike 40 I built from scratch (standard design). I flew her again yesterday - Very fast - very happy.

Tell me more about yours!

Mike

SpeedBoy 09-24-2012 08:19 AM

She hasnt flown yet , Im still waiting for the 10 cc tuned pipe ( the open one ) the one you see on pictures is 7.5cc too small for the engine.

I hope the new airfoil works well , we'll see.

combatpigg 09-24-2012 08:36 AM

She looks awesome!!
You did a great job of making the plane slimmer and thinner.
Could it be the World's Fastest Shrike..?

SpeedBoy 09-24-2012 10:02 AM

Thanks combatpigg !!

Well I dont know if could be the fastest , of course I really wish :) , but there is another guy with the same engine on a shrike 10 (unmodified) wich did 220 mph , I hope the tinner airfoil of this one takes some advatage and reduces some drag to get close to that mark.

Some of the most experimented guys says the wing produces just the 30% of the total drag of an airplane considering that, on the wings I just reduced about 7% of the total drag , no too much , I hope the other reduction of the fuselage has more importance on this model then.

combatpigg 09-24-2012 04:47 PM

When you design the graphics, do you draw the idea on paper to see what it looks like or do you keep the idea in your head..?
I think your design work is as good as I've ever seen.

SpeedBoy 09-24-2012 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I draw the idea on paper just to see how it will looks and not just trust how mi head imagine it :D.

And I need to tell you that covering wasnt easy to make to me , would you believe me if I tell you the first color I apply was the yellow???

Thanks for the compliment combatpigg

freakingfast 09-24-2012 07:23 PM

Lookin good Speed! I had a Shrike ARF. It was relatively quick, fast roll rate. The only complaint was when pulling a hard turn it would stall a wing and it got exciting to say the least. So fly high if you plan on pulling hard on elevator the first few times. Altitude gives you time, and time is your friend....said the test pilot.

SpeedBoy 09-24-2012 08:11 PM

Thanks for the advice freakingfast , I was aware of it thanks to Mike Connors , he also gived me the advice of not to leave soo sharp the outer portion of the leading edge to avoid that.

I left the inner 50% of the leading edge sharp and the other portion "kind of round".

I'll take some altitude anyway to do the test ;).

Mikie 1 09-25-2012 03:50 AM

SpeedBoy, How much longer before the pipe arrives? I'm really looking forward to hearing about how she flys. Any chance of videos?

I do believe you laid down the yellow covering first. AND the rest of it looks really fine. I'll bet she'll be visable for a long ways. Is the underside covered differently? How?

SpeedBoy 09-25-2012 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mikie , I hope the pipe arrives next monday but its not sure , after it arrives I'll start adding nitro to the fuel and see how the engine behaves then I'll tune it.

One thing its for sure this thing will not fly if there is not a camera recording it , whatever thing happens I want to have it on video and I'll share it with all you.

And yes the underside its veeery different. [8D]

B A T M A N !!!

freakingfast 09-25-2012 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: SpeedBoy

I was aware of it thanks to Mike Connors , he also gived me the advice of not to leave soo sharp the outer portion of the leading edge to avoid that.

I left the inner 50% of the leading edge sharp and the other portion ''kind of round''.

Great! That may be your saving grace. I didn't want to be a buzz kill and tell ya after it's all covered, but you got some great advice before hand.

oly_rcer 09-26-2012 03:47 PM

i really would love to hear a flight report.my shrike40 just went thru some trees at full speed(had to duck when i saw a viper out of control and coming at me full speed).anyhow just damaged the leading edge about 1-2inches in from tips where branches caught it.will fix it and fly it but i love that plane.really interested in how yours will fly.mine did about 110-120 with a 0s40fsr

smoknrv4 09-27-2012 01:21 PM

Very nice job Speed....I'll be watching the thread to see your progress also.:)

Kmot 09-27-2012 07:36 PM

SB: Your Shrike looks hotter than a Jalapeno chile pepper! :D

SpeedBoy 09-27-2012 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliment guys , I´ll report the progress as soon as I have it. At the moment waiting for the pipe.

The carbon fiber props I ordered never arrived to my home , I hope the 9x10 APC props hold on the stress , I'll do some test on a safe place first.

Mikie 1 09-28-2012 03:01 AM

Speed- I tried to look-up "Picco" engines on Google, but was unable to find anything about "aircraft / airplane" engines. Is the engine you have an older type? Obviously it's an airplane engine (by the looks of it). Are they still manufactured?

SpeedBoy 09-30-2012 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Mikie 1

Speed- I tried to look-up ''Picco'' engines on Google, but was unable to find anything about ''aircraft / airplane'' engines. Is the engine you have an older type? Obviously it's an airplane engine (by the looks of it). Are they still manufactured?
Yep , its a older type and what I know its out of production now , I found it on Ebay .

Is a shame such a strong engines get out of production.

MJD 09-30-2012 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: SpeedBoy

Thanks for the compliment guys , I´ll report the progress as soon as I have it. At the moment waiting for the pipe.

The carbon fiber props I ordered never arrived to my home , I hope the 9x10 APC props hold on the stress , I'll do some test on a safe place first.

Another option is to trim the APC 10-10 down to 9" and clean up the tips, it has more hub strength. This is how the patterns for some of the CF 9-10 props are made. If this engine had ducted fan/marine timing I would be nervous, but as a pattern/strong sport engine I don't think it will spin a 9-10 much higher than 17-18k which should be okay. But your idea to test somewhere safe first is smart.

Looking forward to your flight report!

freakingfast 09-30-2012 02:36 PM

I'm with MJD on this one. I think you'll be OK, but always do your run up with no one in the prop arc. After each flight, inspect the blade root/hub area for whitish marks and retire the prop if found. If you think the prop took a hit at landing, retire the prop.

Speedy-Gonzales 09-30-2012 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That SHRIKE looks awesome! How much ballast did you have to put in the back to hit your CG and what is your RTF weight?

I love the SHRIKE and I am lucky to have 8 untouched kits of the 40 size and 4 of the Shrike 20 size kits.

As Charlton Heston said at the NRA convention........" You will have to pry them from my cold dead hands !"

SPEEDY-GONZALES

MJD 09-30-2012 04:15 PM

Well folks, we know they're in Bryan, Ohio, now we just have to figure out the street address!

Speedy-Gonzales 09-30-2012 05:07 PM

If you find me...bring some backup!

I obliterated the Shrike in my picture when I lost my elevator servo on the downward leg of my split-S. It went straight in. I am cleaning off my building board to build another and your mods are exactly what I had in mind for this next build.

My Shrike airframe served me well for 7 years and many ( and I mean many) engine rebuilds or replacements. I run the K/B 7.5cc and 6.5cc DF engines but I do have a YS 45 RE that I am contemplating on using.

Speedy-Gonzales