RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Any Arfs? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/1135732-any-arfs.html)

flyinrazrback 09-14-2003 09:16 AM

Any Arfs?

Are there any arf speed planes, the style I am talking about are not flying wings, or like the lanier quickies. More of the design of the veranos, etc. I used to have one of the EZ .25 racers a while back, looking for that sort of design. Any info would be great, plus if anyone has one they want to part with.

SJN 09-14-2003 11:00 AM

RE: Any Arfs?

The Magnum is arf.....

SJ.

RC_Junky 09-14-2003 01:21 PM

Where can we get a look at this Magnum? Specs, reviews, manual, anything.

SJN 09-14-2003 02:03 PM

Here.... http://www.westonuk.co.uk/magnum.html

But now is a very bad time to get a magnum.
They are updating, and improving the design. The new one will be out soon.

SJ.

Cactus. 09-14-2003 04:07 PM

the pipe still isn't in the canopy to answer a previous question... the designer realises the drag reduction but "you muppets still like to **** around too much with pipe length" lol

Crazy4Flight 09-14-2003 08:27 PM

for the magnum in the USA
http://www.modellbau-usa.com/

with an 8x8 APC On th west euroteck V1 50 it hauls !!!!!!

my buddy has one I hand launch and he flys it yes it too torques to the left

r-c-guy 09-15-2003 06:59 PM

Try an ez dago red if you can find one with a .65 fan engine.... mine does approx 200 mph by adar

randy

vicman 09-26-2003 11:03 PM

Try a Kangke Tiger Shark or F-16. 200 bucks and a hot motor gets you over the 100 mph mark.

CONTENDER 09-26-2003 11:41 PM

Vicman,
Any tips on the Kankge F-20? I only have a couple of flights on mine with a brand new Max 46FX, ( I know, not the best answer for power....but it's what I had.) and while it's a very nice ARF, and will be a very good , stable flyer, there is an awful lot of airframe to drag around at any real speed!!??
Do you , or anyone out there, have experience with a hotter powerplant?? Will it handle the speed without flutter? Will the bolt on-tail hold up.
I really haven't had time to lean the engine out, and am unsure of the right prop to use, but I know this plane will never catch my Lanier Predator using the same 46fx.
Thanks, CONTENDER
Oh by the way, if anyone wants a really cheap extreme speed ship, one of my fellow flyers, just flew his Great Planes Viper, with a Sport Jett 50. It was unbelievable.
These Quickie ARF, don't look it, but they are slick...little or no drag, and they just beg for more power. I really think they are the answer for the true speed freak...after all, look at the lack of streamlining on the Top Fuel Dragsters. In this class, the streamliners have not been the answer!
CONTENDER

vicman 09-26-2003 11:53 PM

Contender,
I had an MVVS .45 on mine and a buddy ran a Rossi .46 on his. You are right they are not the speediest things in town but man are they cool to fly! We both ran 11x6 simtar props on ours at first then went to 11x8 for some better speed. The plane is very stable to low fly-bys. Mine had a major problem when I broke a spinner in flight, this created a HUGE amount of drag and loss of speed. The only other thing I took issue with was the nose gear is a little fragile and difficult to repair. Mine is in bad shape now however I have plans of re-building her, she was a hoot to fly and looked great in the air![sm=pirate.gif]

Rudeboy 09-27-2003 08:18 AM

A dragster is built for the drag strip... that is going as fast as you can in one quarter mile... as I'm sure you know. These guys have horrendous amounts of horsepower on tap, and aerodynamic drag is only there for like two seconds or so. The biggest challenge with these things is keeping them going straight and keeping them on the ground... that's about it.

If you want to go really fast you just a have to take aerodynamic drag into account, there's no way around it. While a top fuel dragster is going pretty fast towards the end of the 1/4 mile it is nowhere near the extreme speed realm.

Take a look at cars built for going really fast... like the ones they use to break the sound barrier on ground... now there's aerodynamics for ya...
If you look at the history of these cars it is obvious that the people who built them very quickly came to realise that aerodynamics are a major factor when it come to going fast...

vicman 09-27-2003 07:04 PM

Your point Sir?

CONTENDER 09-28-2003 12:18 AM

Rudeboy,
I guess what I'm asking, is maybe what we assume to be the most aerodynamic, is not. The Magnum, and Whiplash 'look' fast with their swept wings, and pointed fuses, but both have the motors hanging out in the slipstream, and the Whip may even present more drag with all it's wetted area???? Guess an aeronautical engineer will have to weigh in here.
I'm just wondering if a modern Quickie, like the Vector, or Predator, or one of the high buck, composite Quickies might be just as streamlined a package as the Whip, or Magnum when you hang brute horsepower on it like a Jett. After all, they really offer very little frontal area to the wind.
The low buck Predator I'm flying with the Max 46fx, does an amazing job of cutting thru the air. It's not effected by the wind, and is rock solid. Kind of like a lawn dart!!
I'd love to hear anyone with experience with a piped Jett Quickie!

CONTENDER
Oh, my point with the dragster comment, was, aren't we kind of doing the same thing with the more powerful engines we are using? As long as we have a reasonably slick airframe, will the Magnums small cowl around the engine really be that much gain over the exposed Quickie engine.???

mr_matt 09-28-2003 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: r-c-guy

Try an ez dago red if you can find one with a .65 fan engine.... mine does approx 200 mph by adar

randy

Come again?

skysurfer2010 09-28-2003 11:40 PM

Anyone have any experiences with the Morris Tomhawk ARF? How fast is it? Is it close in speed to the Patriot?

patternman 11-11-2011 08:30 PM

I just streamlined my Viper 500. I have raced Pylon for years. This one is for my own use. I have an idea that it will be faster than normal. It is about 120MPH without the streamling. Hard to get a radar gun on it though, as there is no frontal area.
Do you think the ideas will work? I plan on changing the fuel line to the side as well.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...edViper500.jpg

iron eagel 11-12-2011 08:40 AM

The LR-1A Pogo looks like it could be upgraded to something very quick.

kmtranmd 12-07-2011 07:00 AM

Weston Magnum is a great speed plane that does not look like a flying shingle or ugly stick. It is a spendy bird though, unless you get a nice used one. Plane is fast, tracks like it's on rails, glides ok without power.
I also have a Kangke F20 with lots of miles on it. The F20 is really tight up front and will not take a big heavy motor. I have OS 46fx with Jettstream tuned muffler in it and had to put receiver battery all the way back in the tail to balance. Speed was 90-100mph with that combo.