RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   MB 40 in action (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/11639533-mb-40-action.html)

f3d 06-09-2017 06:30 AM

MB 40 in action

Hallo speedfreaks,

here my 12 year old ( type one) MB 40 in action. Speakers max is a must. It is a symphonie.

Regards Michael

MJD 06-09-2017 07:58 AM

Hallo Michael - those are superb videos. There is not much action on this forum right now, thank you for posting some real speed models.

aspeed 06-09-2017 06:15 PM

I remember the Metkemeier brothers in old Aeromodeller magazines as a kid, and their team racers, and think they were in England at the World Champs in 1978 in FAI Speed and the US one a few years back. They are the M in MB.Pretty serious players. Kind of heroes, or pioneers at least, for me. Emil Rumpel too. Long time ago. That is a fast plane there.

iron eagel 06-11-2017 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by f3d (Post 12343090)
Hallo speedfreaks,

here my 12 year old ( type one) MB 40 in action. Speakers max is a must. It is a symphonie.

https://youtu.be/F9QlhkHV-EY?list=PL...qnii_IL3dTBLN2

Regards Michael

Very nice run Michael, very quick little beast!

aspeed 06-12-2017 07:12 AM

Are the newer ones any faster?

f3d 06-12-2017 12:23 PM

MB pylon engine

14 Attachment(s)
Hallo apseed,

to answer your question older or newer type MB engine. What is differnet.

The first MB 40 pylon engines where extremer, more powerfull but no easy to handle, often to difficult for the pylon racers.. So some userfriendly modifications came up.

The outlet port shape is complete different. On the older type much extremer.
The inlet porting ist also different, sometimes you have to use JB welt to modified type 1 to retuned in the size and shape as the new type, to became better handling.

Please see the pictures and compare what you see. Outside and inside a lot of different things you will see.

On all pistons you see the latest rod. This is the best. In the beginning you had a lot of problems with the rodbreaking, now this problem is solved.

I still use the old type for speed with better results but you need a lot of know how for consitend behavier on the engine.

Regards Michael

cappy0161 06-13-2017 03:49 PM

MB40 new or old?

Hallo Michael,

So which MB40 did I get from you - old or new?

Thanks - Robert

f3d 06-15-2017 11:12 AM

Mb 40

Hallo Robert,

please check the pictures with your engine.

Regards Michael

airraptor 08-06-2017 11:18 PM

Todays FAI F3D plane run 230mph on the race course where the one in the above video did in a dive. Newer engines are out there with more power.

Rudeboy 09-08-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by airraptor (Post 12358181)
Todays FAI F3D plane run 230mph on the race course where the one in the above video did in a dive. Newer engines are out there with more power.

The problem, for me at least, is keeping the pistons in shape.
Rob is testing new piston materials, but the current ones have a tendency to elongate/enlarge the hole for the piston pin at the rear end, closest to the exhaust.
I've developped a habit of checking the slop in the engine after every run, because obviously this situation deteriorates very quickly and very "destructively" .
This is of course when you run the engine hard, "easier" setups are also much easier on the piston.
I finished the world championship in Sweden on one piston, but I noticed from the behaviour of the engine at the starting line that it was on it's way out after about 7 flights. So total airtime on that piston was about 20 minutes, before it started to let go...and that was a good one.

rcflyer1970 12-02-2019 07:47 PM

Nice flight fast all thru the run, nice flying field... anyone ever hit the Big Props around the field?

iron eagel 12-22-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by rcflyer1970 (Post 12567654)
Nice flight fast all thru the run, nice flying field... anyone ever hit the Big Props around the field?

Any video?
As far as props Rudeboy, F3d Aspeed or airraptor would be the ones to ask about that.

Pond Skipper 12-25-2019 01:43 AM

Here is the original posted vid. bring the link together
posting the full link with no spaces just shows blank space here
Look what I had to do just to get it to show geez..
https://www.
youtube.
com/
watch?v=Gc4WGizn00w

iron eagel 12-25-2019 07:44 AM

Michael's doppelganger is wild. He has some real extreme planes, i have seen several of his really fast ones.

wing13z 03-12-2021 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by f3d (Post 12344666)
Hallo Robert,

please check the pictures with your engine.

Regards Michael

Hello sir, I got an f3d plane with MB40 engine installed from a friend. He just gave it to me. It’s brand new never flown before. He did have a problem to start that engine. I believe he didn’t know how to start it neither me!!
If someone could help me and give me an idea how to start it, I would really appreciate that.

GREG DOE 03-12-2021 04:13 PM

These engines are very temperamental. I would never give advice on how to operate them, but I've seen enough of
them flown at the last two US team trials to know that they can be a hand full, so by all means seek advice. What
would be best, would for you to hook up with someone who can show you how they should be operated. There was
a US team selection event last October that selected the team to represent the US at the next world championships.
Unfortunately the world champ race has been postponed until next year. Just something as simple as the fuel is a
challenge, since these engines are set up for 80/20 alcohol and oil. I could share more cautionary tales, but suffice
to say if you want to have hours of frustration go it alone. Good luck, and let us know if you have success. By the
way, where are you located, because you might be near help, and not know it.

wing13z 03-12-2021 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by GREG DOE (Post 12668262)
These engines are very temperamental. I would never give advice on how to operate them, but I've seen enough of
them flown at the last two US team trials to know that they can be a hand full, so by all means seek advice. What
would be best, would for you to hook up with someone who can show you how they should be operated. There was
a US team selection event last October that selected the team to represent the US at the next world championships.
Unfortunately the world champ race has been postponed until next year. Just something as simple as the fuel is a
challenge, since these engines are set up for 80/20 alcohol and oil. I could share more cautionary tales, but suffice
to say if you want to have hours of frustration go it alone. Good luck, and let us know if you have success. By the
way, where are you located, because you might be near help, and not know it.

Thanks for your replay. To be honest, I did not start the engine yet. I can see that carburator it doesn’t need throttle servo which means it’s going to operate on full throttle all the time. The tricky think is how to start that engine? Is there any technique or procedure?
I did watch a few videos on the YouTube and it looks like that’s engine has to start rich on fuel!! Then you would adjust the needle and fly it.
But the tricky thing as I mentioned earlier how to get it to start 😂 am I missing something there?
I was searching for a manual for that engine but couldn’t find anything!!
I used to live in Florida but I’m now overseas doing some work.

Rudeboy 03-13-2021 02:48 AM

Get spare glow plugs (they are not standard plugs).
Get an adjustable glow driver that has the power to really light those plugs up, a standard glow driver will not work.
Get a starter that spins fast, 4S lipo on a standard 12v starter works.
Make sure the fuel shut-off works.
Get or make a fueling syringe, the plane will have a bladder tank.
Get someone to hold that plane, and hold it tight.

Open the needle 4 turns or so, open the shut-off.
Close the tuned pipe off with your finger, and apply starter for 2 seconds to prime the engine.
Turn on glow, plugs should glow bright orange.

Now comes the part where you need 3 hands :
With one hand ready at the stinger of the pipe, apply the starter.
When the engine fires, and gets on the pipe immediatly, be ready to close the needle a couple of turns: when the pipe builds pressure, it will drown the engine at a rich setting.
If it fires, but sounds like it runs of the prime, give it more fuel by intermittantly closing off the tuned pipe with your finger.
Beware though, if the engine decides to pipe up while you have your finger on the stinger, the hot exhaust WILL burn you in an instant.
An afternoon of engine testing will leave you with a nice Audi mark on your finger.

If the engine fires but can't get "on the pipe", you will have to work the needle and the pipe stinger at the same time.

It helps if you run a short prop, so get some spares to experiment.