RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Pat XL Radar Speed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3263614-pat-xl-radar-speed.html)

jon_focal_plane 08-15-2005 12:42 AM

Pat XL Radar Speed

Ran a Radar on my Pat XL this weekend. 138mph downwind and 126mph upwind so running in the low 130's. Jett 90LX, 11x8 APC, 15%Omega. Will try an 11x9 when it cools down a bit.

Flyboy Dave 08-15-2005 03:55 AM

RE: Pat XL Radar Speed

That sounds about right to me....[sm=thumbup.gif]

....where's some pictures of that bad-boy ? :D

Dave.

bob27s 08-15-2005 08:21 AM

Sounds pretty good :) The Pat-XL is a big plane...... getting it up in that 130 range is pretty darn quick!

Jon - how did you make out with the glow plug change ?

Bob

jon_focal_plane 08-15-2005 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob,

I posted an update on the Jett Tech support Page.

A couple of more Radar Speed related items:

Takeoff was at ~60mph, Landing was at ~25mph with 40 degrees of flaps.

Dave,

Here are a couple of images:

Jonathan

Razor-RCU 08-15-2005 06:39 PM

NICE! I assume your running retracts?

Beautiful Patriot!

RC-Captain 08-15-2005 07:31 PM

Do they make this plane in a smaller version ? seems to be a challenge I need to take .

jon_focal_plane 08-15-2005 11:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words Razor. Yes, I have Robart retracts installed.

Jonathan

Razor-RCU 08-16-2005 01:10 AM

RC-Fiend: You are kidding right? :) The patriot-40 has been kitted for many years on and off- they even made ARF's for awhile-

A 40 sizer, Jett-50, Retracts, yields the same effect as Jonathan's :D

Jon- Did you cover that? If I could cover that good I might buy kits instead of arfs or RTF used airplanes- Some of those scale looking wheels would look REAL god on there---

I have added your Patriot Pic to what I believe is the largest collection of Patriot (40 and 60) pictures in the world- :)

I'm a geek I know-

RC-Captain 08-16-2005 01:30 AM

A 40 sizer, Jett-50, Retracts, yields the same effect as Jonathan's
Forgive my stupidity and ignorance but are you saying yes they make a smaller plane, or I could use the the set up you mentioned above with the size plane Jonathan has in the pic . Thanks

Flyboy Dave 08-16-2005 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great Planes used to make the patriot 40 in a kit and an ARF. They were
discontinued for some unknown reason about 4-5 years ago, to the
dismay of many prop jet fans. Then last year they re-introduced the
Patriot kit for a one time issue, and quickly sold out. I bought a kit about
3 years ago from the early ones, and had to pay a premium to get it....
more than the original price.

These first two pics are kits, the third is a very rare, mint ARF that Razor
was lucky to get his hands on. :)

FBD. :D

RC-Captain 08-16-2005 06:06 AM

Nice planes Flyboy, so if I want a prop jet lets say to fit a .28 motor I will have to make it up my self . .40 is small but I am sure I will need more room to land .

jon_focal_plane 08-16-2005 09:20 AM

Razor,

I did the covering. Simple design but painful. I should look into some scale wheels. Any recomendations?

I sure wish I could have gotten a 40 size Pat. One of the guys I've seen in this forum stuffed a Jett 90 in it. That thing must be sick (in the good sense of the word, of course).

What is the link to the Pat pic gallery?

Jonathan

RVBlack 08-16-2005 11:16 PM

Your plane looks great. 130 mph, thats cool. Did you have any rudder flutter? RV

jon_focal_plane 08-17-2005 12:06 AM

Thanks RV,

No, I couldn't detect any flutter. Near the end of assembly, after joining the rudder to the vertical stab, it became apparent that the bushing setup they used was not acceptable in that form due to excessive play. I slotted some plywood for additional support and glued it in place. Seems to have done the trick.

Jonathan

jon_focal_plane 08-28-2005 05:07 PM

A Radar Speed update:

Our "Radar Guy" brought his goodies to the field again today. After leaning the engine on the top end (see thread in Jett support) a week or so ago, I've got some new numbers.

Upwind passes: 152 and 129 mph
Downwind pass: 157 mph

Still running an 11x8 APC.

I do have video of one of the flights today. Will try to upload if anyone's interested.

Some other numbers I remember:

Little Toni (OS 90 Surpass): 133mph

We also run Avistars with OS 46s on them. They run about 90 mph. Yesterday, we had five up together, what a riot that was. Too much fun for $100 airplanes.

Jonathan

Cyclic Hardover 08-28-2005 08:06 PM

Nice looking plane. Tell Lynch to get one and come up here and square off with me next summer:D