RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Prop Jet for a Grass Field (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3267796-prop-jet-grass-field.html)

rc-combat 08-16-2005 07:51 AM

Prop Jet for a Grass Field

I am looking for a good Prop Jet kit for a Grass Field. I would like to run retracts but my luck with them and grass has not been so good. I was looking at the Patriot XL until I saw they needed a long roll out for takeoff. Maybe a DC F-20 I see were Juno RC kits it, has anyone bought a kit from them. How are they? If anyone knows a stout plane/retract combo that will hold up to grass let me know. Well enough questions, back to work.

Thanks Guys,
Chuck

jzinckgra 08-16-2005 08:03 AM

RE: Prop Jet for a Grass Field

I've got a DC F20 and am using BD retracts. So far, so good. I had a rather hard landing on our grass field a couple weeks ago. I thought I would have at least folded the nose gear, but everything was fine. The only problem I am having is some airleak in the sytem. Seems like the tank leaks all its air in less than an hour. These are new retracts too. I noticed there is some oil around the retract lever, so maybe that's where it is leaking. The struts are very strong though.

bob27s 08-16-2005 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: rc-combat

I am looking for a good Prop Jet kit for a Grass Field. I would like to run retracts but my luck with them and grass has not been so good. I was looking at the Patriot XL until I saw they needed a long roll out for takeoff. Maybe a DC F-20 I see were Juno RC kits it, has anyone bought a kit from them. How are they? If anyone knows a stout plane/retract combo that will hold up to grass let me know. Well enough questions, back to work.

Thanks Guys,
Chuck
Long take-off roll on the XL ?? Not the couple I have flown. It is a bit plane, but has lots of wing.... needs the right prop and engine up front- Gets off grass fairly quickly. Last one I flew only had an Tower 75 in the front and was off the grass in about 200 feet. Slows for landing ok too.

Any of the good prop jets will operate well off of grass with retracts. (I prefer spring air for most of my projects)
Most fly similar to older 1980's vintage pattern ships. Many of us flew them off of grass for years as well.

Use good gear, build well, and learn to land/takeoff well.

Cermark F-16 (read thread - properly reinforce the gear mounts)
AMK Su-27 (Mig is nice, but no retracts). Grass video on the AKModels.com web site, and I have another video available too.
Pat .40 and Pat XL - easily operated off of grass.
DC/Juno F-20 and F-18 both are excellent. Derek makes some nice kits.
Great Planes F-14 (if you can find a kit)
Royal F-4 Phantom (if you can find a kit)

The only one that I have played with that took a bit of runway for take-off on the grass was the GP F-4E Phantom.

I hope this is helpful
Bob

rc-combat 08-16-2005 12:01 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I will get the DC F-20 for my next project. Now for my next big question: I have never used a tuned pipe, is there anything special you need to take in mind when installing/using one or is it plug and play type deal. Or I have seen tuned mufflers as well, so any of these bolt ons perform as well as a tuned pipe. I am leaning towards a Rossi .53 or Jett .50.

Best Regards,
Chuck

bob27s 08-16-2005 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a real nice example of a DC F-20

Cyclic Hardover (Mike) built this one. Real nice bird. SJ-50 up front.

Hard to go wrong with the design.

Let me know if Juno has the kits available yet (they were due available this month, but Im not sure if the were out).

Bob

HaveBlue 08-16-2005 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Juno R/C is advertising His F20 on the website..sweet looking bird too!...

Cyclic Hardover 08-16-2005 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoa, thats a nice example of a DC F-20! Hey thats mine!. Anyways, retracts on any plane on grass is not the best move in the book but their is an advantage here on some prop jets and that is the length. The shorter the strut the more stable it is and that is a big help.

Most guys who run retracts on warbirds and on grass have a nosing over issue. The ones in this F20 are basic Hobbicos or if you wish, get a set of robart mechanicals, the struts are a bit thicker .

One other diddy here and that is the take off, these things need speed and runway. they just don't pop up in the air like you see many do. If you try it, it will look like when you blow up a balloon and let it go with the air releasing and the balloon is all over the place. They have high wing loading and if the engine quits, you better be on final approach or at some decent altitude. These things glide like a brick.

Hope this helps!:D

Cyclic Hardover 08-16-2005 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While were on the subject, there is the Great Planes Ultra Sport .40 and .60 size. They are not produced anymore but if you look hard enough, you'll find one. With a Jett 50 in the .40 size, that is one fast plane or as in mine, I have the Jett .90 in my 60 size. Darn nice plane and everybit as good a intro to propjets as the rest of them. Retracts also work well. I have Spring Airs.

Razor-RCU 08-16-2005 11:15 PM

If you are gonna fly off grass (which is difficult-) then I too am a firm believer in the Spring-Air retracts, because they are STOUT- You will tear the mounting blocks out before damaging these units....

Please do not get a propjet with fixed gear, kinda bad for our reputation- ;)

How long is this grass? My Patriot/ Jett-50/ Spring-Air combo. with split flaps got off the ground quick! But If the gear were not perfectly straight on the takeoff roll the tire would spin off the wheel (on one side)--- No damage but funny seeing that thing roll into the bushes then landing on one tire and one plastic wheel-

rc-combat 08-17-2005 07:54 AM

That is something that scares me. It is a typical East Texas Berumda Hay grass type field. It is mowed weekly, but it is not golf course quality grass. Truly small planes can not use it to take off on, we have had some DF jets and Turbines on it but not alot. There have also been several instances of retracts and even fixed gear getting caught up and being ripped off.
I think I can live with grass though. Now I am trying to decided whether ordering a tuned pipe or using the muffler that the Jett engines come with.

bob27s 08-17-2005 09:19 AM

No need for a pipe. Use the stock jett-stream muffler that comes with the engine.