RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Has anyone got gas? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3350420-has-anyone-got-gas.html)

stupidaso 09-11-2005 11:01 PM

Has anyone got gas?

It see a lot of discussion on 40-size speed planes, people talking about speeds in the 120 mph range. That is pretty fast, I will admit. I just lost my 2/40 duellist (RIP), and am looking into a larger, gas powered plane. Guys racing planes like this are well above 200 mph.

Can anyone give me some guidance into the realm of gas-powered speed planes, or am I just immersed in a pipe dream?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stu

bob27s 09-12-2005 09:21 AM

RE: Has anyone got gas?

Takes a lot of power, energy and money to go 200 mph :)

Take a look in the Pylon Racing forum - there is a sub forum for giant scale racing there that can be useful. Some recent photos from the Astabula, OH race too.

Bob

stupidaso 09-12-2005 10:13 AM

Thank you, I will check it out. I'm not looking to go as fast as unlimited racers, just faster than a mere 120. I'm checking into gas because of the size and reliability/operating cost of gas engines.

I appreciate the help

Stu

bob27s 09-12-2005 11:13 AM

Good deal.

Nothing missing in reliability, durability or power of the engines most of us are playing with for speed applications.

And with gas heading to $4.00 a gallon - and typical 15% glow fuel around $9, who knows... the fuel argument may soon be out of the picture :)

Getting up over 120 mph is easy. Hitting 140 is fairly easy. Sorta depends on the type of aircraft you desire to work with. I have several guys out there flying the Patriot XL and some older pattern ships with SJ-90L engines all of which are getting into the 140 range.

For big gaasers, the Dominator 1500 class is pretty quick. Not too expensive. Makes for nice aircraft.

Flyboy Dave 09-12-2005 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here 's a start....one of these engines in a plane like this....YEAH, BABY !! :D

http://www.desertaircraft.com/engines.php

Flyboy Dave ;)

Strykaas 09-12-2005 01:59 PM

How much is that engine ??

stupidaso 09-12-2005 04:52 PM

You make some very good points......
I have an old 60 size curare...do you think a 90 size jett would get me into the 140s? I don't expect you to be prophetic, but you obviously know what you are talking about.

That said, what does a Jett 90 go for?

I really appreciate your help.:D:D

Stu

stupidaso 09-12-2005 04:56 PM

That is one sweet-a## ship! Doing about 160 just sitting there!

I would like to find one (like that, older needing some TLC) that someone was trying to get rid of. I don't want to race just yet.

I realize that there probably aren't a bunch of older racers out there that I can get at a decent price.

Thanks for your input.:D:D

bob27s 09-13-2005 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: stupidaso

You make some very good points......
I have an old 60 size curare...do you think a 90 size jett would get me into the 140s? I don't expect you to be prophetic, but you obviously know what you are talking about.

That said, what does a Jett 90 go for?

I really appreciate your help.:D:D

Stu
HMMMmmmm..... not sure. From reports of some other similar pattern ships, Id imagine it can get up darn close if nothing else. As long as the gear was up and the plane was fairly well trimmed.

My old Curare (1979 vintage) had a Webra .61 on it, and that was confirmed flying over 100 mph back then.

A standard SJ-90L goes for $335 if I recall. The 90LX version is $25 more, but might be very well suited to a Curare. Either is the same physical size as an OS .61 or .91FX