RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Modified Diamond Dust Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4306041-modified-diamond-dust-video.html)

AIRFREAK-1 05-22-2006 05:14 PM

Modified Diamond Dust Video

Finally,here is my DD video but,first a very special thanks to my good friend Ron Yeoman(aka MYWAY)who did some work on this engine and many others of mine and of other club members.He also taught me almost everything I know about modifying two stroke glow engines.THANKS RON!!!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Modified-Diamond-Dust

cobratraxxas69 05-22-2006 10:22 PM

RE: Modified Diamond Dust Video

Awesome video, that's the best diamond dust video I've ever seen!! What prop were you using and what RPMs were you turning on the ground.

HaveBlue 05-22-2006 10:39 PM

WOW! I think thats going to make my DD with the Irvine .40RE look like a shopping cart[X(]
I too decided to put my fins out at the NO.2 ribs, but I canted them inwards...still making the fiberglass cowl for the engine and Bolly Carbon Fibre pipe...but your video... very cool... that thing is FAST!!! not to mention that ingenious dolly

I see I have no option but to go the DF engine route!!!!..later down the track

Bob.R 05-23-2006 07:43 AM

Great work! Great video!

bob27s 05-23-2006 08:13 AM

Real nice video !! my compliments to everyone involved there :)

Just to review, Ron modified one of the original Jett FIRE-60L engines, correct? (original = lower timed, big prop version, no sub-port)

From the sound in the video, its running very well. Very good work.
The 60LX runs very similar to what you have there.

AIRFREAK-1 05-25-2006 11:39 PM

Thanks all for the nice compliments! To answer Bob27s question yes it was originally a standard 60L ABC. Ron did some head work and advised me on the ex. timing.I made the spacer to raise the sleeve for the longer con rod and I modified the carb.(from a OS91FX) for smoother air flow at high speeds.Please see my other post FIRST FLIGHTS OF MODIFIED DIAMOND DUST for a full description.To answer cobratraxxas69,s question the first prop I used was an APC 8.8x9.75 cut down to 8"dia. which gave 20,400 rpm on the ground.Performance was very good but,unfortunately the prop broke on the first landing and the closest prop I had to it was an APC 9x9 which gave 19,200 rpm static and unloaded a lot.BTW the video was shot using the 9x9.I also have carbon fiber 8x10.5 that I will try next time I go flying.Regards to all,Scott.

AIRFREAK-1 05-26-2006 02:16 AM

BTW if anyone has the technical info on the Jett 60LX timing events,carb bore size,etc please post it so I can compare it to my engine.Thanks,Scott.

huey-pilot 05-26-2006 07:34 AM

My Jett FIRE 60 LX carb bore measures .371 and my Jett FIRE 46 measures .374.

bob27s 05-26-2006 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: priyasman

BTW if anyone has the technical info on the Jett 60LX timing events,carb bore size,etc please post it so I can compare it to my engine.Thanks,Scott.
Just drop a note to Dub, he can give you the specifics.
[email protected]

Be patient - its a long weekend - he should get back to you Tuesday.

The carb is basically the same for the SJ-46, SJ-50 and SJ-60L. Limiting factor for fuel massflow tends to be the flow passage through the crankshaft.

Bob

AIRFREAK-1 05-28-2006 02:25 AM

Thanks for the info guys! I ordered my 60L with a 90L carb which has a bore of .437 the same size as the hole inthe 60L crank. The 90L carb was way too big for the 60L,so I tried the carb from my OS 91FX which has a bore of .375 and it was perfect. Just for the heck of it I tried the 90L carb on the 91FX and it ran great! As a matter of fact the 90L carb even got rid of the flat spot that the 91FX had in the midrange ta boot. BTW I went to the giant scale fly-in at Castle AFB in Atwater,CA on 5/27/06 with my buddy Ron,and were walking past the MACS pipes booth and saw some used engines on their table,so we took a look. Well, Ron bought a couple of engines and we looked at some others and I saw a big K&B box. In the box was a K&B 82 ducted engine that was rebuilt by K&B with a new piston,sleeve,and bearings and it looked like it was brand new. I got it for $90.00! K&B rates it at 4.2hp@ 23,000rpm and it weighs just 23oz.Hmmmmm something to think about.Regards to all,Scott.

Strykaas 05-28-2006 05:39 AM

Very nice take off setup ! Your engine sounds perfectly tuned :) ... Great performance indeed [8D]

Glorfindel 06-01-2006 09:12 AM

Nice one!!

From the video i got one pass at 184mph !! Very nice!

deckerv 06-02-2006 10:40 AM

Very cool setup!!! I'm going to have to try to build something like that dolly for my whiplash. It's a bear to launch!

flyingmachine 06-04-2006 11:21 AM

Hi there, first off very nice plane and video. I am finishing my first dust going to run a JETT BSE .50 FIRE motor/tuned pipe. Any first time suggestions? My brother is going to launch. I am using a PCM 1024 Futaba Super 7 radio. How much throw and expo do you use?

Thanks

RICH

AIRFREAK-1 06-16-2006 02:11 AM

Hi Rich, thanks for the compliments. The amount of control throw you use depends on where your CG is at. Follow what the plans recommend and you should be fine. Personally I use 50% expo on elev. & ailerons. If you will be using 8" of pitch or less, have your brother toss your plane up and to the right. If you plan to use a high pitch prop you might want to think about using some sort of take-off dolly. I hope this helps, and good luck! Regards,Scott.:D

Kmot 06-16-2006 11:56 AM

Excellent video!

Not only is your DD awesome, but your launch trolley is BRILLIANT!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

izzy 09-13-2006 12:53 AM

the link to the video isnt working, is there another link?

cobratraxxas69 09-13-2006 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: izzy

the link to the video isnt working, is there another link?

Hmmm....it just worked for me....

freakingfast 09-16-2006 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like to play with dollies too.;) Sixty plus good launches at a much lower lift speed than seen in the video. The Diamond Dust just lifts away when it's ready,no release.

cobratraxxas69 09-16-2006 08:54 PM

That dolly looks like a cross between an alien cyborg insect and a heavy-lift helicopter :D:D:D;)

But if it works, it's cool in my book [8D] ;)

freakingfast 09-16-2006 09:18 PM

No, it's even uglier than that:), but it works every time and a lot easier on my nerves. My first and only hand launch(diamond dust) to put it mildly was, exciting.

Razor-RCU 09-16-2006 11:20 PM

Too cool! I figured DD launching would be cake cuz they are soo light! I have not had any problems with Whip launches and they are heavier... Unless you mean solo launches, haven't tried that- I can alwys talk someone into "letting it go" for me ;)

freakingfast 09-17-2006 01:32 AM

On my whiplash I never had trouble self launching, I hold it by the extra long header/pipe silicone connector tube and give it a firm forward assist then quickly get hand on the right stick. The diamond has a side exhaust engine so I can't do that. The rear area between the elevons has a solid piece of balsa. I held it at this point with the plane pointed up about 10* and the right wing down 20* powered up and pushed off. It torqued to the left and almost hit earth before I could get my hand on the stick. I recovered it, but over corrected twice. Almost hit earth 3 time in 3 seconds, too much excitement! I'm going to try the right wing tip on the ground, left wing tip in hand launch technique next spring when the grass is deep and soft in case I mess it up.

[email protected] 02-19-2007 09:50 PM

Unbelieveable video!!!

Now I really can't wait for my Jett 60LX to arrive!!!

Mike

combatpigg 02-19-2007 10:23 PM

I can't imagine hand launching any plane with your right hand, then fumbling for the radio. It is too easy to simply let go of the plane with your left hand and keep your right thumb on the radio. I didn't notice any dollies at the German Speed Cup?