RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Weston-50 Seizes, Magnum trashed... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4837792-weston-50-seizes-magnum-trashed.html)

Razor-RCU 10-06-2006 10:46 PM

Weston-50 Seizes, Magnum trashed...

Yup--- Made 1 1/4 circuits around the field. 15 Seconds into the flight the engine seized (***?), it was very nose heavy (and I went with middle CG from suggestions) so downwind turn kept a ton of speed and I attempt to flair with no effect whatsoever--- I hit a small bush or soft dirt bank (just below eye level so did not see it..) saw the cartwheel- engine 15 yards IN FRONT of wreckage [X(]

And I was worried about the launch :eek:

The WestonUSA site was down last I checked, no idea who to ***** to or send the engine carcass to... Anyone? Bueller??

15% Synthetic (per manual 10-15)
9x7APC
Stock Everything
Nice little smoke trail, on the rich side...

Thoughts? No camera at the field... I have already started fixing her for what engine I have no idea... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Legend:

**** on top is simply the letters Double-U, Tee, and Eff
**** Is No idea who to bee-otch to.

SPEED JUNKIE 10-06-2006 11:53 PM

RE: Weston-50 Seizes, Magnum trashed...

"THAT SUCKS!"[sm=punching.gif]
SJ

Kmot 10-07-2006 12:35 AM

Don't you have an Enya SS 50?

Sorry about your Magnum. You shoulda waited till Revvers II so I coulda caught it on film. :)

Cyclic Hardover 10-07-2006 12:51 AM

I don't know if your aware of this or not but we have a few magnums around here. They have no glide ratio at all. I saw a guy coming diagonally actross the field ging probably 140mph when he ran out of fuel. All he had to do was make s simple left turn and then line up for final. He didn't even make it at that speed. Thing fell like a sack of dirt

Flyboy Dave 10-07-2006 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: SPEED JUNKIE

SJ
....what SJ said....[X(]

Razor-RCU 10-07-2006 01:21 AM

I DO have the Enya-50SS... That'd be funny, the Enya is a great engine but speed engine? [X(]

I WILL have the magnum, ugly as all get out, ready to fly by Revvers... That is a promise- Dunno what engine I may use but if I have to the Enya it is!!!!

crasharama 10-07-2006 03:47 AM

Geez James,

What a crap day, I feel sorry for you

Tony[sm=cry_smile.gif]

HaveBlue 10-07-2006 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

ORIGINAL: SPEED JUNKIE

SJ
....what SJ said....[X(]

BIG TIME..SORRY TO HEAR IT[:@]

bob27s 10-07-2006 09:48 AM

That does really suck !
[>:]

Did the engine actually seize or did it stop suddently?

If it seized you would have heard it start sagging big time before it did.

You have a Webra GT 50 dont you? You can bolt that Weston pipe setup on it.

cobratraxxas69 10-07-2006 10:33 AM

Hey Razor,

I'm very sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to comparing your plane to mine....

But the West .50 seizing? Mine has been so reliable, what do u think happened?

AirGar 10-07-2006 10:47 AM

Man James, what a bummer! Now I feel "guilt"! Hopefully, it will get repaired or replaced by West.

Do you run extra oil in your fuel? I always bumped mine up with castor. How much fuel had you run through it? Did you start with the 9x7 or 9x6?

Crap, sorry to hear that Buddy.

d plane boss 10-07-2006 03:35 PM

I had a West that hit so hard it broke the crankshft. I sent it to Weston UK and within a couple of weeks it was returned like new. New crankshaft, new bearings, all labor and return freight was less than $75. Can't beat that. Just pack it up, send it to the address on their website - in the UK - and include a note as to what you want done. They will communicate by e-mail regarding what they think it needs and costs. I was very fairly treated and highly recommend them.
Randy

Razor-RCU 10-07-2006 04:31 PM

Wow thanks everybody!

Bob- It stopped suddenly.... Instantly actually- What does that mean? I have not tried to do anything to the engine (like turn it over) cuz the dirt and stuff--- It does rotate a "little" til the compression then it sounds like a metal stop! The Webra-50GT went with the Patriot ARF I sold to Kevin at the last Revvers.. :eek:

Gary- No, they recommend Synthetic fuel so I was using 15% CP- I had run it for a couple minutes at home just to check the fuel system... Ran perfectly, hand started which I thought was cool- 9x7, fairly rich on launch, little smoke---

d plane boss (AKA Herve Villechaise)- Thanks! I will definitely send it in but unless it is ALL free, I will complain like a little girl (no offense to any little girls on the forum).
I followed the manual perfectly, even bought that special fuel for it... If they do not make good I will advise them what they can do with their engine [X(];) The pipe is still pretty though...

As a side note the recommended CG is VERY conservative--- I went a little tail-heavy based on RCU research and it was still VERY nose heavy with a full, whopping 6 oz. of fuel. Over half my elevator travel was used to keep it level/ slightly climbing, and I have WAY more travel than they recommend (3/4 inch?)- So when she locked up, in level flight doing who knows how fast (130?) I knew I would run out of elevator pretty quick. AND I DID! It is a sad feeling being 150 feet up, getting the wings level, then running out of elev. so she goes in nose down. The cart-wheel was an added bonus :D Wings level, ground/bush/ terra firma whatever not level!

rcflyer1970 10-07-2006 05:14 PM

Sorry to hear of the Magnum's demise[:o], I would think that would be Weston's responsability if the engine locked up, it's a defect, hope they make it right, I had wondered about the glide capabilities of the Magnum, I guess I know now, same glide ratio as the F104, I've opted for the clipping wings a little at a time till it gets iffy, but I did overdue it with one I had 400 sq in and it weighed 7.75 lbs no fuel, small stab, thin wing, it landed at about 55+ mph (ugly) and a dead stick resulted in getting the epoxy out, but the dive speed was impressive with a OS VRP 40 w/OPS 60 Carb with the tuned pipe length at about 10 inches glow plug to widest point, the prop made alot of nice sounds in a big dive. A guy that stopped by the field to watch had to have the plane and made me a offer I couldn't refuse even after I told him it flew like a Turd.

Flyboy Dave 10-07-2006 05:49 PM

Razor....

....you were running Cool Power 15%....the green stuff !!! [X(]

The only thing that stuff is good for is killing ants. :eek:

Sorry about your motor. [:o]

Flyboy Dave 10-07-2006 05:52 PM

....I forgot....if your motor stopped instantly, the rod might have broken. [:o]

proptop 10-07-2006 06:29 PM

That's what entered my mind first, a busted rod...or the crankpin broke off...

Sorry about your plane Razor [:o]

Razor-RCU 10-07-2006 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After further inspection there are little "metal pieces" sitting on top of the piston--- I emailed Weston UK with all the details, I am hoping they make me "whole" again. Even if that happens now I have an ugly thrashed, and VERY heavy "looks repaired but cross your fingers it stays together" Magnum.

I started gluing, and patching, and glassing (5 oz. glass) --- Shaker can black, as I did not have yellow and tada!

I did this all super-fast due to my irritability.... I bet it comes apart EVEN with the Enya-50SS up front :eek:

SPEED JUNKIE 10-07-2006 08:12 PM

Sweet!

You just don't know what your capable of until you take all of that hatred and put it in a positive direction!

Normally that would have taken you 2 weeks!

Now save it for the Revver's II so I can "Spank it with my Rossi!"

Then we will all set back and tell lie's to each other over "Carne Asada and a Sunset!"
SJ

Razor-RCU 10-07-2006 08:29 PM

Ewww... He said "Sunset".

So I should save it for the Revvers? It won't be impressive and may very well be dangerous... We'll see, I still have a couple small things to do to get her flight ready... If it happens pre- Oct 21/22 then I am flying it! :)

With the Enya up front and the extra weight from the "repairs" I wonder how interesting the hand launch (from my 81 yo Dad) will be.

Guess the first flight I will run a 11x5 or something... :eek:

vicman 10-07-2006 09:24 PM

Just so we're clear I aint swappin spit - Got it?! Strap the Jett in there an quit winning!

Kmot 10-07-2006 09:25 PM

Man, why are you so down on Enya? :)

cobratraxxas69 10-07-2006 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, what's wrong with Enya, she makes outstanding music ;)

proptop 10-07-2006 10:54 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: vicman

Just so we're clear I aint swappin spit - Got it?! Strap the Jett in there an quit winning!

You mean "Winning" or Whining? Thought the whole idea was to WIN? :D

Bet you're gonna balance it further back?

How much does it weigh now, compared to before?

SPEED JUNKIE 10-07-2006 10:55 PM

Two "Enya's" please![sm=tongue_smile.gif]
I don't care what she sound's like!;)
I bet she scream's![sm=lol.gif]
SJ