RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   kyosho Kelly F-1 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5175632-kyosho-kelly-f-1-a.html)

Gidusko 12-28-2006 10:06 PM

kyosho Kelly F-1

Hey guys i have just seen a article about this plane and i would like to know what you guys think, would this be faster than the alley cat? or do you all have any exp with this plane that you would like to share?

proptop 12-28-2006 10:24 PM

RE: kyosho Kelly F-1

Got a link?
I remember seeing a pic of it in a mag a while back, and thinking that it was a cool looking airplane, but???

Crazy4Flight 12-28-2006 11:44 PM

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/airplanes/gp/11075B.asp

The same KELLY that competes in the F1-class at the Reno Air Races has been reproduced for the first time as a 70-class R/C model. The giant scale air races that are popular in the U.S. are becoming more popular in 70-class. The mostly pre-assembled structure features a fiberglass fuselage that comes complete with basic coloring and a cowl that produces stunningly realistic form - the slanted engine mount contributes to the slim nose. The pre-covered balsa main wing Features one-piece winglets just like on real airplanes, which increases efficiency and prevents stalling for increased stability at low speed. The fully featured kit also includes fuel tank, linkage parts and tires, leaving very little assembly time and cost to get airborne. The KELLY is the perfect entry point into the world of big-scale air racing.

The FRP fuselage is complete with basic coloring and cowl, which produces stunningly realistic form. The slanted engine mount also contributes to the slim nose. The main wing features one-piece winglets, just like on real airplanes, which increases efficiency and prevents stalling for increased stability at low speed. The fiberglass fuselage is factory finished with the base color, so exterior detailing is simple and takes about an hour to complete. The Kyosho Kelly F1 Racer also features factory-finished fiberglass wheel pants that cover the legs to the tires for better aerodynamics and smooth flight. A unique one-piece vertical fin and main fuselage balance the upper and lower areas. The kit also includes wire linkage parts for rudder. Steering tail wheel gives free taxiing control.

SKU: 11075B
Street Price: $259.99 (approx.)
Available - End of Feb 2007

Features:

Engine mount
Main gear
Rudder connected to tail gear
Decals
Tires
Linkage parts
FRP fuselage sets the benchmark in scale detail and quality.
Balsa main and tail wings are expertly pre-covered in film.
Main parts of fuselage are factory assembled. Simply connect the main wing halves and set the servo linkages to complete.
Required for operation
R/C System: 4ch transmitter, 5 servos, receiver
Engine: 4 stroke.52~.70 class engine
Propeller: D6~12×P13~7
Spinner: 62mm
Fuel, receiver battery pack
Pilot figure (SV-5) is sold separately.
Technical Data
Length 49.6 in. (1260mm)
Wingspan 55.1 in. (1400mm)
Total Weight 2,500~2,600g/88~92 oz. (approx.)
Wing Area 518 sq. in. (33.4 dm2)
Engine four-stroke 52~70 class

TIA 12-28-2006 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

[link=http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/fun/movie/wmv/2006pr_kelly.wmv]Kelly Video[/link]

freakingfast 12-29-2006 07:50 PM

That Kyosho video was the most unimpressive thing I've ever seen....yawn.[&o]
Stuff a 46/50 class performance 2 cycle or a YS 110 4 cycle in there it might be more exciting. Yes I know it's rated 70 4cycle, but that's never stopped a speed freak.
Pretty but pricey.

Cyclic Hardover 12-30-2006 12:24 AM

As much as i would love to jump on this one. I'm passing. Nobody has one yet so it's difficult to tell what can fit YS 110 is not a bad idea if you want all out speed. I don't think a 90 2stroke wil fit. Probably that Jett 60lx may be good

Kmot 12-30-2006 11:04 AM

It's a damn gorgeous model airplane.

Anyway, they race them in a 70 fourstroke class in Japan. If everyone is running a 70 fourstroke while racing, then the planes will probably seem fast (relative to each other).

perttime 12-30-2006 11:26 AM

Now, this does not seem like a real high speed plane but...

- The video tells me that it probably flies OK.
- A slow pylon racing class with planes that are not ugly does not sound like a bad idea to me. I still find any pylon racer at full speed intimidating (only seen F3D, F5D, Quickie, and "400" class planes). Something like this plane might actually get more people into racing.

Rebellion 12-30-2006 12:28 PM

Somehow a four stroke just doesn't sound right on a speed plane to me. I gotta admit though, it's one good looking little bird and I have a Saito 82 that could use a new home. Might be fun for a relaxing day at the field.

bob27s 01-05-2007 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

As much as i would love to jump on this one. I'm passing. Nobody has one yet so it's difficult to tell what can fit YS 110 is not a bad idea if you want all out speed. I don't think a 90 2stroke wil fit. Probably that Jett 60lx may be good
As soon as they are available in the US, I will see if I can do an install layout for the 2c engine.

angelrcdesign 01-05-2007 03:39 PM

Need to put a Jett .60LX on a mini pipe. on a 20/20:D

Always flying 01-08-2007 12:44 AM

This plane really looks sweet...i usally fly 3-d , aerobatic planes all summer!!!... a nice switch to one of these would be ideal!!

let us know when one comes available!! if i don't get a alley cat first!!

cheers!

mannyh

Kmot 01-14-2007 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw it in person at the AMA show. It is a really pretty airplane. The fit and finish looked very good.

Jarrah 01-27-2007 05:41 PM

I am really keen on this plane. Looking for something fast that also looks great and this plane appears to be the real deal. Really hope u can get a Jett 90 in it, would be a weapon. Keep us updated!

r-c-guy 01-27-2007 10:26 PM

Hi,
I already pre-ordered one. I am putting an OS vrdf 91 in it. Tbhis engine has already gone 183 mph (by radar, pitot and gps) in a 60 sized mustang. I hope and think it will be interesting

randy

buddude8 01-27-2007 10:32 PM

what fuel are you running in that os91df

Cyclic Hardover 01-27-2007 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: r-c-guy

Hi,
I already pre-ordered one. I am putting an OS vrdf 91 in it. Tbhis engine has already gone 183 mph (by radar, pitot and gps) in a 60 sized mustang. I hope and think it will be interesting

randy

I thought you were working on another speed project.

Jarrah 01-27-2007 11:13 PM

woah, that 91DF looks amazing, so what, can u just stick a prop on the front of it or what? n ive got no experience with these engines, but it seems like a real powerhouse

cheers

Iflyglow 01-27-2007 11:33 PM

Does anyone know what the price will be, and who sells Kyosho now. Tower does not sell any Kyosho products anymore.:eek:

r-c-guy 01-28-2007 09:29 AM

Hi Cyclic Hardover,

I am...but it hit a snag...
The wing for the other one has not arrived yet. Fuse is complete and has carbon throughout. I'll post a picture if you wish.
The wing will not be ready for 1-2 months yet. I decided to wait for the composite one instead of the built up version which is not as strong.... Plus I love the looks of the Kelly

However, in the meantime, I am waiting on the arrival of a BVM 96 from Dave Shadel of Perf Specialties which will be setup for trials on the Mustang...... It will be interesting..... They claim 26-27 k on 15% and a 10-10 or 10-11.

You know me.... 2 or 3 projects at once........

randy

r-c-guy 01-28-2007 09:30 AM

budddude8,

I am running 15% omega with 2 oz of castor added to every gallon........

randy

I-Love-Jets 01-28-2007 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: r-c-guy

However, in the meantime, I am waiting on the arrival of a BVM 96 from Dave Shadel of Perf Specialties which will be setup for trials on the Mustang...... It will be interesting..... They claim 26-27 k on 15% and a 10-10 or 10-11.

Well, there certainly is way too much BVM .96 HP advertised. To run a 10x10 at 27000 you need about real 14 HP!

So let’s go into detail: I own both the BVM 91 and 96 engines. These static rpm were achieved using the .96 and a MACS 1190 pipe:

7.5 x 12 custom made carbon fibre speed prop => 23200 rpm

8.0 x 12 custom made carbon fibre speed prop => 21900 rpm

9.0 x 10 carbon fibre APC 10x10 copy => 20200 rpm

These are real measurements, no claims. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

In each case there’s plenty potential for unloading, especially using that much of pitch.

But let us keep in mind a safe peak rpm of about 25000 for the .96 (more seems to be improbable) and about real 7 HP of maximum output (even an unloading BVM 96 will not make more power).

Generally: Using props exceeding 9“ of diameter sadly will absorb too much peak rpm over 22000. We have to reduce prop diameter here to take advantage of the entire rpm peak of such an engine.

[b]

Jarrah 01-28-2007 05:48 PM

What sort of speeds do you think this plane will stand up too? And how would u go about modifying it to be safe at higher speeds? Id love to be able to go say 150-160MPH.

I-Love-Jets 01-28-2007 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Jarrah

What sort of speeds do you think this plane will stand up too? And how would u go about modifying it to be safe at higher speeds? Id love to be able to go say 150-160MPH.
That’s difficult to say without having seen the balsa wing and stab in person. You most probably need a reinforced spar and a torsionally stiffer sheeting (including glass cloth at 45° direction).

If a retrofit reinforement appears to be too difficult, I would simply cut new foam cores and build up a new super strong wing and horizontal stab.

You then should also think about an improved airfoil, as I believe the stock airfoil is thicker than 9%.

With a .90 sized ducted fan engine 160 mph will be reached.

bob27s 01-29-2007 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Jarrah

I am really keen on this plane. Looking for something fast that also looks great and this plane appears to be the real deal. Really hope u can get a Jett 90 in it, would be a weapon. Keep us updated!
Keep in mind the plane was designed for sport racing with an OS52 for power.

I am planning on trying out an installation for the SJ-61LX.

Idunno if the 90 will work. Folks were able to squeeze the 90L into an Alley Cat, and that was designed for a YS .63

Bob