RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Project magnum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/574437-project-magnum.html)

FlooredCOBRA 08-14-2003 11:03 PM

Project magnum

phillybaby thumbs up man! You finally got the right pipe for that thing!

Hey if is come off pipe in climbs try sanding of a hair bit more off the tips of prop. It should stay on pipe then. I am guessing that is what is causing that.

On my GRRT it likes to run 8x6, 8x7, 8x8's But as pitch goes up the I have to make the diameter go down some. Not very much though. Try those out and see what you get with them.

Cactus. 08-15-2003 08:09 AM

Project magnum

yer, got the pipe, nice looking thing too. had to drill a pressure feed hole tho.
it didn't come off the pipe first flight, might have benn slightly leaner the next, but the covering commin off the aileron might not have helped with drag. thought it was weird when i flew it. loads of trim needed, then back the other way.
i did take tips off before. ended up looking like a master airscrew. whats the best way to do it? could do with the pitch of a 8x8, not as quick as the Wests at the mo

FlooredCOBRA 08-16-2003 01:29 PM

Project magnum

I usually use scissors to cut off tips of blades flat. They work pretty good since the tips are so thin anyways. Then balance it real quick and put back on engine and crank up to see if it kicks up on pipe. If it does not then cut down a hair bit more and try again.

Sometimes it can be half in half. To where you hit WOT and it comes upon pipe then comes off then come up on it and off. Your are right there. Either cut off a slight bit more or sand down the rest. Usually I sand off the rest then taper in that flat cut I made earlier. Just keep sanding until it has that nice smooth curve like before. Then of coarse balance again and thats it.

It takes a little time to mess around with the prop to get it where the engine and pipe likes it. That is why I made that template on the size that works. Just out it over the prop trace out and cut and sand. No more guess work and lot less time.

Cactus. 08-16-2003 03:14 PM

Project magnum

might try that, ...but.... good news

today i tried the 8x8, got it to the patch and tachoed it, got about 20K then it got hot and died. after a wait i fired up again ( one turn rich ), we went lean, it jumped on the pipe, it got thrown quick before it got hot. into the climb the engine came off the pipe and sagged, but in the dive she picked right up, at the bottom it jumped again, smoke pouring from the pipe and she SHOT!!!! across in front of me :D every climb it came off the pipe and slowed, but every dive it came back and went like stink. i had a race with the West 50 Magnum and it was decided to close to call on the flat :D:D
i don't mind it comming off pipe in climbs if it does this in the dive :) i like it. cutting the prop to keep it on the pipe wont help the top speed after the dive.
Project Magnum is a success

FlooredCOBRA 08-16-2003 03:52 PM

Project magnum

sounds like you got it that thing kicking. Your have a point about cutting prop and climbing. Smaller ones don't make as much thrust as larger ones.

Whats the weight on that Magnum anyways? For fun I would make up another prop a bit smaller to keep on pipe. Just to see what kind of difference there is. Because just think on pipe you said it ran 20K. That would be 20k still spinning at a climb. I am not sure what your rpm's are before pipe but those few make a bit a difference.

Hey also post a video when you get a chance. Like to see that thing kicking in the air. I am making some more videos on my DD with GRRT today. I have one already but not a very good one. I want to get a full flight in. Hey if you don't mind would you post one of my videos on your site? I have no clue on how to post videos on Internet but be cool for others to see what it runs like.

Cactus. 08-16-2003 04:06 PM

Project magnum

it wasn't much different on the 8x7 in the climb, but the dive is SOOOOOOOOOO much faster, weight is...... 4lbs 2 oz, but i have a lot more wood than a normal one.
at launch we checked the RPM and got 19.8-20 but in that time it over heated and died. the cooling only really works when airflow over the outlets sucks air from the cowl and canopy.
so rpm at launch is 19.8-20 it then drops in the climbout, then sounds like it comes back in the dive and at the bottom sounds like it jumps up about 2-3 k extra i wouldn't say theres more left in it after hearing that. when i get my other camera back i can video and get a speed check plus in air RPM.
if you have any web space you can upload your video, no webpage required, just needs to be there, most ISP's now give web space. i can link across to the video then. saves me having to upload some ungodly size vid then :p