RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Matney's ZOOMER (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6408468-matneys-zoomer.html)

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 09-24-2007 03:16 PM

Matney's ZOOMER

I am thinking about buying a Matney Models ZOOMER with the tapered 12% wing to put my Nelson SS on. I want to go fast for fun, not racing.

Anybody got one?

How fast is it?

Looks prety cool!!!

rmenke 09-24-2007 03:55 PM

RE: Matney's ZOOMER

RT:

Yes, had one, Jett 50 powered. About the same speed as a Q-500 with similar engnes. Mine died from a switch failure, hit so hard battery went through the tank, and firewall and damaged the rear of the engine fins. Unless you are going to race this thing, no catagory for it, suggest you get the 15% wing. Makes the plane more user friendly, cost you 10-12 mph which you will never notice and make slowing down and landing easier. Do not get the 12% wing if you do not fly Quickees or formulas. Once the engine quits, you need to make almost a complete circle of the field to slow the thing down, and still lands a little hot. Kevin will tell you the same thing. It will do almost a complete B pattern if you have a throttle, and will hover for a while, decent flyer. Its a lot of work for something you cant race with, but a funn flyer regardless. ENJOY

vertical grimmace 09-24-2007 04:47 PM

I have one on the way (Kevin told me it was shipping this last weekend). I ordered the 12% tapered wing and I am sure it will be tough to slow down. I was planning on using 2 aileron servos and using flaperon to dirty it up on aproach. I was actually contemplating a build thread.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 09-24-2007 05:15 PM

VG

I might wait and see how yours turns out first. Do the build thread. I think it will have a good following. I like the design of the plane.

In the mean time I will fly my Quickie for my go fast fix.

Also have a 10 size Shrike with a thinned down airfoil and a GMS .32 and Ultra Thrust, it's pretty quick too.

I need to finish my modified Quickie Jett on a Shrike build first. It is in primer awaiting a final sand. I will try to get some cuttent pictures posted soon.

vertical grimmace 09-24-2007 05:17 PM

I was planning on using an OS .46 FX engine on mine and using it for our club 2 pole races in the open class. We shall see. I think a build thread could be fun as I have never done one. It may give me focus.

jeffk464 09-24-2007 08:52 PM

Definetly post pictures of your build I've been real tempted to build his napier with 2 aileron servos and a sport motor (TT .40). I was also planning on moving the ailerons further out on the wing but keeping them the same size. My goal would be to have a 100mph sport plane with a fast roll rate rather than a go fast and turn left plane. My understanding is that the ailerons are close to the fuse so at say 150mph they are not too touchy.

rmenke 09-24-2007 09:42 PM

Jeff:

Leave the aileron design alone, they roll quickly enough as designed, trust me. It should do around 120 -130 with either motor running well. Add webra 55 & go 170 or so, or Jett 60LX and push higher. ENJOY

rmenke 09-24-2007 09:46 PM

VG:

Your gonna dirty up that beautiful thin swept wing with servos? There go 10-15 mph for sure. This airframe does not like heavy, keep her light as you can, easy on the paint.

jeffk464 09-24-2007 09:55 PM

I was flying a Q500 with the stock aileron set up and it rolled like a 747, do the q40's have a better roll rate.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 09-25-2007 12:18 AM

Jeff

They are not supposed to roll fast, just left.
If you you have a Quickie set up to roll fast you will suck in a race.
DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!!!!!!

jeffk464 09-25-2007 12:37 AM

gotcha, you want precision. But if I want to fly it as an aggressive sport plane then I want to amp up the roll rates a tad, not 3d, just a tad.

I have a sonic 500 with full strip ailerons and I consider its roll rate perfect for sport, but I know as you go faster you need less control surface.

Mike Connor 09-25-2007 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

gotcha, you want precision. But if I want to fly it as an aggressive sport plane then I want to amp up the roll rates a tad, not 3d, just a tad.

I have a sonic 500 with full strip ailerons and I consider its roll rate perfect for sport, but I know as you go faster you need less control surface.
For sport flying I agree you need longer ailerons. I put the longer sport ailerons an my last Q-500 (SJ50) and it was still too slow on roll, especially after flying Deltas. You can always reduce the throw or add expo if you want to slow the roll rate down.

vertical grimmace 09-25-2007 08:42 AM

I did not mean hang the servos out to make the plane dirty all of the time. I will keep them hidden and clean but when it comes time to land I want to be able to drop both ailerons to "dirty" up the plane. I had a sunracer for a while and I know all about the fast landing aproach.

z06kal 09-25-2007 12:49 PM

Would love to see a build thread on this as well. Can we see some pictures of the raw kit? Also can you take some measurements of the fuse area. I would like to put an electric system in this and see if I can up the performance from a nelson powered one.

Mike Connor 09-25-2007 12:57 PM

The web site says the Basic Kit Includes: epoxy-glass fuselage, foam wing cores, and plans.
Sounds like a very short kit. What about gear on this plane?

vertical grimmace 09-25-2007 01:16 PM

I will have to figure out a landing gear I suppose, but I figured I could maybe use one off of my old Viper. But I really do not know yet as I have not seen the plane.
There is a thread in here about an E-powered qm40 vendetta. It took an awful lot of $ to get it over a Nelson powered version. I think they hit over 200 mph though. Electric is great but spendy still on the batteries. I will try to post as much info as I can when I start the thread.
I think It is actually better for the kit to be short as I can choose all of my wood and other items that I prefer. Nothing like paying for hardware that sucks. I think the price is right for this kit assuming the glasswork,design and cores are of high quality. I have heard that they are.

z06kal 09-25-2007 03:14 PM

Vertical yes I know the guy who built that Qm40. Batteries have come down in price as have motors and controllers. I can put together a power system for about $550. Obviously pricier than a $375 off the shelf Neson/Jett motor but that also implies some glow fuel savings as well. Anyway you slice it is is more expensive with less full power run time but you also get complete throttle control and no tunning/start up/launch hastles. You can basically fly it like a sport plane but still turn a 7x8 prop at over 30,000. If I could fit a 12S 2100 system into this fuse that would be killer.

What are you guys with nelsons doing about the wing? Just balsa sheeting with glass ontop? Is there any lumber with the kit or is it all BYOB. Do they include the tail feathers?

Mike Connor 09-25-2007 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: z06kal
...Batteries have come down in price as have motors and controllers. I can put together a power system for about $550.....turn a 7x8 prop at over 30,000.....
Could you please list the motor, ESC and battery you are talking about. This electric speed is starting to get tempting.

daven 09-25-2007 03:55 PM

I thought the landing gear on the Zoomer was in the wing??

Not sure your viper gear will fit.

vertical grimmace 09-25-2007 03:58 PM

I was under the impression that the kits come with no wood but I could be wrong. I will probably add some carbon tow under the sheeting and then glass the sheeting as well. I am also hoping the cores are high density. Adding some carbon tow where a spar should be can not hurt anything.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 09-25-2007 05:16 PM

His web site lists the glass fuse, foam wing cores and plans. Everything else is up to the builder. Every builder has his or her own way of doing things and offering a kit this way keeps down manufacturing and inventory costs.

Plus every ZOOMER will be different!!!

z06kal 09-25-2007 05:18 PM

Daven: here is what I"m thinking:

Neu 1915/1Y $235 (hopefully the nose will fit this okay it is 2" DIA)
Maxamps 4S2100 Pack $79.99 each x 3 = 240
Castle Creations HV-45 = $130 or OemRC (Unitedhobbies) Sentillon HV100amp for $100 (don't know about the realiability of these)
For giggles you can try those Unitedhobbies Hextronix packs which will run you about $120 for a 12S pack in the 2.2-2.5 ah range.

Ideally would pull about 50 amps under 12S.

rmenke 09-25-2007 06:49 PM

VG:

No wood, but plan for firewall and tailfeathers. I installed landing gear blocks in the wing and went with standard 5/32 music wire, then a little airfoil grinding for grins. Did not like stock tailfeathers, elevator is streight across, no tailwheel. I jazzed mine up a little, split the elevagtor, carried rudder through with tailwheel. Now you can taxi around if you want rather than point and shoot. Kevin will skin your wing for I think $100.00, does a nice job and well worth the price after you consider cost of good skin today. Like I said, leave ailerons stock sized and increase the throw if you want more. Yes, control in left turn is mandentory at around 200 mph and 15-20 feet off the ground. Old salts seem to like it 6-10' which is not much of a margin. Yes, guys like Dave Norman are just that good. Nothing like passing a guy flying at 10' on a lower line. If its me being passed, runes the whole weekend, and takes days to get over it. Old racers are very strange. ENJOY

z06kal 09-25-2007 07:01 PM

Thanks for the input rmenke. Do you happen to have any completed pics? Anybody have completed pics?

rmenke 09-25-2007 07:07 PM

Z6kal:

A mega 6/25/2 and maxamps 4000mah 4c1p /25C will easially fit in a Rusty's Miss Ashley, and probably run it way up there, not that I am working on anything sneaky like that. This gear intended for a Multiplex "fun jett" that got my attention as a overall good flyer with some scoot. All that sanding and glassing is slowing the project down, but in a few undisturbed weeks---. What is bothering me is finding a reliable controller around 50-60 amps with a good bec. Do not want to add the weight of a seperate radio battery and related gear, but want the reliability. These little things scoot to around 150 which is a might much for something so small, and a old half blind pilot. Guess thats why I am building two at the same time, anticipate some learnin curve bo-bos. At $67.00 each rather than $650.00 can afford to experiment a little. Would love to see one of these little things pass Dave, think I know just who may take on a bounty pilot job. Yea, dirty old man, always plotting. ENJOY