RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Minnow and Jett 90......how fast are we talkin here ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7212037-minnow-jett-90-how-fast-we-talkin-here.html)

stupidaso 03-11-2008 09:46 PM

Minnow and Jett 90......how fast are we talkin here ?

I am considering the above combination, but I would love some input from you speed demons. Would I be better off with some other combo? Would my money be better spent on something else? I just don't want to be dissapointed as I have been in the past with planes/engines claiming to be "fast". I appreciate any help.
Stu

HighPlains 03-11-2008 11:02 PM

RE: Minnow and Jett 90......how fast are we talkin here ?

125 mph +/- 5

bob27s 03-12-2008 12:31 PM

The Toni and Minnow are fun.... and quick. Minnow does move nicely.... but may not meet some folks definition of "fast".

The 125 mph mark is about right. About the same speed as TT40 power Q-500 sport racing aircraft. Fast by most standards.

Cermark's Alley Cat with the 90LX engine will perform a bit better - more toward the 130 mph target.

stupidaso 03-12-2008 01:16 PM

Thanks!
Where can I check out the cermark? I am unfamiliar with thier planes. Would a 40-size set-up be more mph/$ and still fly well?

rmenke 03-12-2008 01:54 PM

Stipidaso:

High Planes is right on as usual. Fast is in the eye of the beholder. For some, 125 is quick enough. The Jett 90 in that combo is a very nice user friendly setup, reliable idle and transition and will run foreaver, and as fast as about anything conventional out there. To go faster, you have to go with a ducted fan engine such as the OS 90 VRDF, or the superior yet BVM (Nelson) DF unit. They are a pain to install with the rear exhaust and carb, but will turn above 20,000 with ease. But, when you want to go fast it takes time, trouble and $$$$$. WEll worth it to the brotherhood herin who all admit to being a little over the top, some way way over the top. But, yes 200 + is much better than most of the girls out there, and very frequently much cheaper!! There are some 60 sized engines out there

The best bang for your buck would be a Tower Viper built as per gang recommendations and powered by a TT, OS, K & B 40-48. Gonna get you to around 140+ / - and you can go racing if you like or just learn to handle these birds. You will quickly learn there is much more skill in flying these things than you thought. It is in your best interests to treat any of our gang with respect as any racer type in your club. As a group, most all are great people. As a group, most all will put you into the ground before you know it when approached with disrespect. As at our club, there will be several old guys running around helping everyone who asks and many without asking. Helping others in need is a great pasttime appreciated by most all. They will fly something relativelly quick, seldom at the same time. If they go up togeather, evryone gets behind the fence cause it's going to be a cat/dog fight, fur and pieces are likely to fly. Good friends until in the air togeather. Watch closely, you can see the fangs and claws extending. Don't go there until your nickname is "VanHelsilng".

For your first flight, try to find a go-faster to maden and trim your bird. Make any recommended changes prior to your flying. The bird is likely to have a longer lifespan and be more enjoyable to fly. Watch the old guys flying pylons. Looks like every turn and streight is just like the last one, smooth, stable, identical, in total control 15' off the ground. This is where you need to get if you want to race.

phjoker 03-12-2008 06:31 PM

I have the minnow with the Jett 90 Lx. It's ok.... highest speed was around 130 mph.
but like everyone said there are faster out there. I had the 90 LX laying around so
I had to find a home for it.I do love this plane though. The guys are right Viper with a tt pro 40 or 46 will
put you in tha same ballpark or higher.

stupidaso 03-12-2008 08:49 PM

I actually have 2 vipers with TT 40s on them, set them up for racing and have practiced a few times. I am unable to race, as even to practice it's a 3 hour drive.

The vipers are quick, people at the field usually comment on how fast they are.........I quess I just want to move to the next level. I know I can't do it on the cheap, I just want to be smart about it.

I have an old 60 size Curare.........what about that with a Jett 90? It has retracts and did pretty well with the old OS 60 SF. Never actually put the radar on it, but it sure is a solid flyer.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.......It's nice to have this site to discuss these things with more experienced pilots.

bob27s 03-13-2008 08:28 AM

The Curare with a 90LX would move rather well..... but again, probably in that 130 mph top end speed range still... but its a fairly big plane and will look like its moving :) That is just a guestimate based on what my old Tipo, Curare flew like years ago with (tweeked) Rossi and OS power up front.

If you are just sport flying the Vipers....... stick with them for some speed.

1) take your existing engine and bolt on a jett-stream muffler --- move to a 8.75x8W or 9x7 prop. That will get you to the higher 130s.

2) Viper with TT46pro- jett-stream muffler ----- just a bit faster, not much

3) There are a lot of used Q-500 engines on the market for a good price. Both Nelson and Jett 428 engines. Bolt one of those on the front of the Viper with a 8.8x8.75 prop. Instant 150mph + aircraft.

4) If you want similar performance to 428 but want a throttle ---- Jett 60LX engine.

Also,
it depends in whether you want to build a plane... lots of potential pattern ship projects out there, and a few decent prop-jet and dedicated speed designs too.

stupidaso 03-13-2008 11:08 AM

That sounds like a lot more reasonable approach, Bob.

I think I will try to find a Jett engine....seems to be the most popular performance engine 'round here.

I just really like the way the Curare flies and wanted more speed......and everyone raves about the Jett 90 line. The vipers can be my "speed trainers" if you will, as I am somewhat experienced and comfortable flying them. I will try to work up to more speed as time, experience, and finances allow.

Thanks again,
Stu

bob27s 03-13-2008 01:32 PM

drop an email to [email protected] with the subject of HANGAR SALE LIST REQUEST and state that in the message body too.

sometimes Dub has "used" racing engines available.

use caution if looking on ebay. Most of the racing engines are well cared for... but i think you understand my caution.

also...
look over in the Pattern - Classic Pattern forum. There are few guys there flying vintage/ballistic pattern projects with Jett 90L and Jett FIRE90L power.