RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   150 to 200 mph+ speed planes => Where to buy them? - An overview (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8964839-150-200-mph-speed-planes-%3D-where-buy-them-overview.html)

I-Love-Jets 07-26-2009 10:37 AM

150 to 200 mph+ speed planes => Where to buy them? - An overview

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

I just made a list of commercially available nitro powered composite speed planes that are faster than 150 mph. Included are many pictures and recommendations for high performance engines, tuned pipes and suitable propellers.

Maybe you haven't seen some of them yet, maybe you want to add more speed planes to the collection...

MJD 07-26-2009 10:46 AM

RE: 150 to 200 mph+ speed planes => Where to buy them? - An overview

ORIGINAL: I-Love-Jets

Hi!

I just made a list of commercially available nitro powered composite speed planes that are faster than 150 mph. Included are many pictures and recommendations for high performance engines, tuned pipes and suitable propellers.

Maybe you haven't seen some of them yet, maybe you want to add more speed planes to the collection...

Good stuff, thanks for posting this.

I wish that fellow had put a few drops of fuel in that .35 before he cranked the bejeeezus out of it with the starter.. :).. it sounded dry anyhow, maybe not.

MJD

mk1spitfire 07-26-2009 02:18 PM

cool, hope the magnum gets a mention too and mike screamin demon,diamond etc, lets get em all on there
I have some pics extra pics of the Dara if u want, i had once with a west36v1 8x6 which lit it up and turned 90 on a dime.

MJD 07-26-2009 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

cool, hope the magnum gets a mention too and mike screamin demon,diamond etc, lets get em all on there
I have some pics extra pics of the Dara if u want, i had once with a west36v1 8x6 which lit it up and turned 90 on a dime.
I just noticed, he mentioned the list was for composite aircraft. Do composite spars count?

MJD

mk1spitfire 07-26-2009 02:44 PM

**** i didn't read read the small print, Yes they do! Or composite should be removed !!!!

airbusdrvr 07-26-2009 04:57 PM

I just wish my eyes weren't over sixty years old. I get me one of those[sm=49_49.gif][sm=49_49.gif]

combatpigg 07-26-2009 05:03 PM

The deltas can peak at high speeds, but the Germans have that 300 foot long pre-timing zone that must be flown level before you enter the timing zone. This is what seperates the deltas from the motorized gliders.
ILJ, thankyou again, very much for showing us how to "get there". Your effort will not be wasted, I promise. Rocket Rob has already put together a true 200 mph plane thanks to you and I still have the ambition to do the same.
Thanks also to Helge Puestrow [Der Stuerman] who tried to hammer the truth home to those who found that it was too much work to listen and follow through with his advice.

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 05:27 PM

Thank you I-Love-Jets for that informative post!!!

I was going to ask about the Diamond Dust and Magnum too (2 of my favorite planes, especially the Dust) but then noticed the composite requirement. I wonder if the Diamond Dust covering could handle 200+ MPH!?

ecoliburger 08-02-2009 11:38 PM

Awesome post, thank you! Wish thee speed cobra was available in the USA.

dhal22 08-03-2009 05:56 AM

didn't he leave a german location for buying the speed cobra? i know it would take months though to receive it.

I-Love-Jets 08-03-2009 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: dhal22

didn't he leave a german location for buying the speed cobra? i know it would take months though to receive it.
Well, all in the link of post #1 listed speed planes include the address data of the specific kit maker or distributor respectively.

ORIGINAL: ecoliburger

Awesome post, thank you! Wish thee speed cobra was available in the USA.
There's always a way to get what you want! ;)

If you have a buddy in Germany then it'll be easy to ship several Speed Cobras to the US or Canada.

The “Deutsche Post (DHL) Company“ for instance offers insured shipping to Zone 3 states (that includes also USA and Canada) in a box sized up to 60x60x120 cm. Following Pythagoras' theorem you get a C diagonal length of 134 cm.

That means you would be able to pack at least 4 complete Speed Cobra kits into one 60x60x120 cm shipping box!

calc:
[ul][*] 840 EUR = price of 4 Cobra kits [*] 9.50 EUR = national shipping insured to your German buddy[*] 44 EUR = international shipping insured to Zone 3 of the 60x60x120 cm box weighing 10 kg max[/ul]

893.50 EUR grand total (four Cobras shipped insured to US or Canada)
equalling ca. 320 US$ per kit shipped

This kind of shipping usually takes 4 to 6 weeks from Europe to North America.

The 128 cm long Cobra is a very large speed plane. So in case of smaller speed planes of about 1 meter of wing span you could pack approxialely 10 kits (of different makers if you like) into one 60x60x120 cm shipping box!

For instance the little ME-163 Komet by TOPP-RIPPIN is one of the hottest small speed planes available worldwide – and it is not expensive. Powered by only the JETT .35 BSE FIRE or the OPS .29 RIRE it is faster (at least 180 mph with a 6x8 speed prop) than any Weston V50 powered Magnum or JETT .50 powered Diamond Dust.

Just give it a try – you won't be disappointed.[sm=cool.gif]

dhal22 08-03-2009 07:47 PM

i want the speed cobra. following I-L-J's information i ordered an OPS .90 bi metal speed engine. unfortunately after 4 months of waiting it arrived yesterday but it was the marine version. assuming i get that snafu worked out i will need a larger sized speed plane.

combatpigg 08-03-2009 09:01 PM

dhal, that is the worst......to see the package, rip it open, then stare in disbelief at the wrong engine. :eek:

I like the looks of that .35 sized ME 163!

I-Love-Jets 08-04-2009 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

i want the speed cobra. following I-L-J's information i ordered an OPS .90 bi metal speed engine.
...assuming i get that snafu worked out i will need a larger sized speed plane.
The Cobra by Fliegerland is the ideal beginner speed plane for "big blocks" such like your OPS .90 monster (pics below). Be prepared for 190 mph of top speed combined with super easy flying characteristics! [sm=thumbup.gif]

ORIGINAL: dhal2
unfortunately after 4 months of waiting it arrived yesterday but it was the marine version.
Please contact noller-modellbau(et)freenet.de. This guy has the needed parts to convert your 15 cc OPS marine to the aero version.

In your case the conversion will be similar to the OPS .80, see:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post12494816

For the new OPS 15 cc “Bi-Metal“ engine you'll require:
[ul][*] .60/.65/.67/.80 standard propeller driver assembly #6250 [*] .60/.65/.67/.80 speed venturi carb assembly #6290K[*] 15 cc aero cooling cylinder head [*] 15 cc special finned exhaust header machined from billet aluminium (also fits the OPS .80 engines)[*] TruTurn spinner
[/ul]
and of course carbon fiber speed props sized 9x10 for the Speed Cobra (please contact RocketRob for that).

If you don't have a German buddy yet who would help you to ship one or more Speed Cobra kits plus other speed plane kits (for your local speed friends for instance to safe shipping costs) to the US or Canada, then I suggest this:

Register for free at http://www.rc-network.de/forum/register.php (the German RCU equivalent)

Start a thread in English at the “Motorflug“ sub-forum http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18 and ask for someone who would help you to ship that 60x60x120 cm box by DHL over the pond.

If that German potential helper is a long-time registered RC-Network user with thousands of posts then he is well integrated into the forum community and thus trustworthy. Remember: Germany is a small country. Many forum folks do know each other personally...

To make the transfer public to the German forum users you should keep your thread alive until the speed plane kits have arrived at your home in US or Canada. Please use the tracking number of the insured DHL shipping and visit your local USPS office. So you will be informed about the status quo of the shipping...

dhal22 08-04-2009 05:37 AM

of course i hope to get the engine swapped out but yes it was very disappointing to see the wrong engine. and i do like the idea of looking for help on the german rc-groups version.

jeffk464 08-04-2009 05:12 PM

yup German stuff is out of the question for me. Have to stick with Q40 sport for my idea of speed thrill.

dhal22 08-04-2009 06:06 PM

i have so many planes and projects i'm willing to be patient. i will probably look and fondle the engine for a yr or 2 before i would try to run it.:eek:

RocketRob 08-05-2009 08:08 AM

As far as shipping from Germany, I had very good success with Sunshine Model shipping two ME 163's. Don't remember the actual cost but seemed very reasonable at the time and even more so when it arrived and I saw how large the package was.

It is almost as simple as hitting "add to cart" but made easier by having Google translation open in another window and a couple follow-up emails back and forth.

dhal22 08-15-2009 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well before i ship it back to britain here is the incorrectly sent engine.[&o] the pipe is about 2' long. it's pretty to look at anyway. anyone care to do the conversion themselves?

I-Love-Jets 08-16-2009 05:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

anyone care to do the conversion themselves?
As mentioned before the conversion from the OPS marine engines to the aero version is very simple:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post12493959
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8988507

In case of [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12493959#post12493959]this conversion[/link] I intentionally took the OPS .65 speed SPP RCB (pic below) because this is the only OPS marine engine that comes with an "external" cylinder water cooling ring which is not difficult to remove during the aero-conversion.

All other OPS marine engines that can be converted to a ducted fan aero speed engine fortunately don't feature this "external" cooling ring - which makes the aero-conversion even easier. [sm=shades_smile.gif]

So I reckon the entire conversion procedure from "marine" to "aero" for all other RIRE OPS engines sized .40 to .120 takes only 20 minutes for a person that has never done this before...

dhal22 08-16-2009 05:42 PM

I-L-J, the issue is ordering the parts. more overseas ordering and shipping and the additional cost. or i can ship the marine version back for a refund and wait a month or so for the aero version. i would love to do some conversions like you've shown but it seems simpler to just ship this one back.