Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Hi WILDCRASHWILLY

Maybe you should do youre first flight on a plane , " not so dear to you " , to get youre confidence back , so to speak . Just a thought .
I think we all know how it feels to loose a plane , not good " .

Michel
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: A.T.

Update

''FYI: The RX firmware update V3.01 should be up in the next couple of days. ... includes a re-boot feature if is it affected so at least it has a chance to recover. ..."
WOW!!! What if the reboot happens at the wrong moment? Sounds like the same solution of the competition.

I other fields, it is like the dreaded blue screen in our PCs followed by a reboot. So, Is it a necessary evil?

I have been watching this thread for a looong time waiting to see this product solid and with proven stability after many years of flawless operation. Before that, I am not jumping on this wagon.

Pedro
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Michel

I plan to take a little HOTs up first this Saturday. I would hate to tear it up, but if one has to be the test, that is the candidate. It's the only other plane in my arsenal that has an Optima 7 Rx. Everything else is equipped with the nine therefore has the dual antenna. As you know the seven has a single antenna only. It's my third HOTS over the years and I build them off a set of RCM plans I got back in 1998 or 1999. I've torn a couple of these up over the years as this is the plane I go to when I want to try something outside my skill level. I can build them in my sleep.

Pedro,

I would not be afraid to go with Hitec, I've had several over the years and have had great luck with them until this incident. I'm leaning toward a switch or connection issue, or possibly the Rx. I'm still trying to isolate the componant but I only work with one thing at a time so that I know the exact cause hopefully...may never know. The batteries will have gone through two cycles by tonight or in the morning in order to eliminate them. So far, based on a discharge Mah of 1,245, the bat looks okay. It has been used during other test all week without chargeing since the crash, trying to isolate range testing etc. I've had such good luck with equipment in my RC life, statisticly, one was bound to get me sooner or later. I just would like to know exactly what happened so that I could not only rest easy in future flights, but make sure I caution against that condition. I,m still wondering if my battery was putting out too much voltage which caused the rx or servo to trip up. Voltage is normal as of lastnight, about 6.4 volts. I don't plan to use that quick charger anymore.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Are these new updates for the receivers only? I have the 1.08 update for the transmitter and that is the only one they are showing on the web site.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Michel

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: A.T.

Update

''FYI: The RX firmware update V3.01 should be up in the next couple of days. ... includes a re-boot feature if is it affected so at least it has a chance to recover. ...''
WOW!!! What if the reboot happens at the wrong moment? Sounds like the same solution of the competition.

I other fields, it is like the dreaded blue screen in our PCs followed by a reboot. So, Is it a necessary evil?

I have been watching this thread for a looong time waiting to see this product solid and with proven stability after many years of flawless operation. Before that, I am not jumping on this wagon.

Pedro

Hi Pedro

If I may ,.............. don,t let the small picture , make a big effect . This is a everyday RC flyer sportsman radio . I,ve had mine over a year now . Into my second season , and if I,ve had any trouble , " it,s the NUT , holding the sticks ".

The above may not be worth much , but , it,s honest .

Tell me , what radio has , " No Problems " , they all say there great , and in the long run . there all pretty good look at how much we were paying for our systems 20 years back .

Michel
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I am with Pedro-With the reboot solution Hi-Tech has with the UPDATED software which they are promoting as a feature!!!!!WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!Fix your system and please do all your R&D in the lab and not at the expense or safety of modelers at the field !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM
prgonzalez

Hi Michel,

IMHO, FM-PCM is probably the most stable of all technologies that have been used in our hobby.

By the way, 2.4GHz Spread spectrum is suppossed to be the solution to radio interferece for our hobby, right? It has been the ad for all manufacturers about whom offers the more SOLID LINK and RELIABLE BINDING. If a reboot is needed for overcomming excess radio-interference RX hickups, how is it the radio-interference will go away after the reboot?

I am not urged for an upgrade and I have been watching all these years for what 2.4GHz has to offer.

So far in 2.4GHz, I have discarted three brands, leaving me with just two possible manufacturers. Of course Hitec is one. So, I will continue watching the development of these two brands.

Pedro
Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Michel

Hi prgonzalez

I most certainly understand what you mean and how you feel .

I remember when CD,s came out , you could do almost anything with them , there indestructible ,.......... ya right .

BTW , I still have a VHS system , not that I don,t like DVD,s but , I was happy with VHS .

Michel
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez

Hi Michel,

IMHO, FM-PCM is probably the most stable of all technologies that have been used in our hobby.

By the way, 2.4GHz Spread spectrum is suppossed to be the solution to radio interferece for our hobby, right? It has been the ad for all manufacturers about whom offers the more SOLID LINK and RELIABLE BINDING. If a reboot is needed for overcomming excess radio-interference RX hickups, how is it the radio-interference will go away after the reboot?

I am not urged for an upgrade and I have been watching all these years for what 2.4GHz has to offer.

So far in 2.4GHz, I have discarted three brands, leaving me with just two possible manufacturers. Of course Hitec is one. So, I will continue watching the development of these two brands.

Pedro
For 33 years, I have flown with AM, FM, PCM, and now 2.4. In my part of the world, 2.4 is by far the best. I have been using it since the first Spectrum Module came out. Gone are the glitches, the Shoot Downs, waiting for rhe Frequency Pin, etc..
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Waco Are these new updates for the receivers only? I have the 1.08 update for the transmitter and that is the only one they are showing on the web site.
Please refer post 3765.
Respective upgradesvisible onlywith an HPP-22 interface attached to both USBPort of PC
with HPP-22 program running and Data port of an Optima transceiver,AFHSSSpectra Module
orany of theAurora, Optic 6 Sport, Eclipse 7 Pro Transmitters.

For optimum performance use:
Current Aurora 9 firmware V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
Current Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
Current Optima 7 & 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware firmware V2.01 31 July 2011
(USA timezones)

Update 5Aug11: "Optima 6's will be able to be updated in the near future but will have to be sent in to do so.
Don't send them yet though... we are waiting on the jig. - Mike."

Firmware update details are as listed under Firmware:
Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
see also "Hitec 2.4GHz Firmware & Software Updates"

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I may have just learned something. I thought that as long you were in normal mode the system would reboot. I thought it would only fail to reboot if you are in scan mode. What did I miss here???
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Phil,

After cycling the 5 cell 1650 Mah NIMH battery, I came up with the following readings.

Mah = 1,738

Voltage = 7.060

Cycled twice.

Both Mah and voltage is a little high for the rating.

Now I plan to do wiggle test on the switch leads and the Optima Seven Rx.

Thanks,
Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

I may have just learned something. I thought that as long you were in normal mode the system would reboot. I thought it would only fail to reboot if you are in scan mode. What did I miss here???
What is being referred to is the lock out situation that we feel is caused by RF interference from ignitions. Let's look at this like it is a blip (certain RPM) and not a blast (across a wider range of RPM) and that the blip caused the lockout and was gone but the RX would not recover. The new update provides better filtering against this RF interference but if it were realized the RX would recover. I don't know if I would call this a feature but a function that greatly improves the robustness and recoverability of the system.

I honestly don't know of a system on the market that has zero faults nor has ever locked out. While it's easy to say test your system thoroughly before releasing it so that there will be no problems, there is only so much testing that can be done... for us it was 2.5 years. We flew the system in gas models, electric, glow, rubber powered, etc... with zero issues, and to date, I have never personally experienced a lock out or even seen one that was not power related in any model as have thousands of others. However, I have watched other systems destroy planes including some of very high profile pilots at large events. The Hitec technology is easily as good if not better than any out there and has proven itself over the last couple of years on the market. While there has been some reported lockouts that we have now addressed, the % vs. the systems out there is incredibly small... it's just problems get amplified on the forums as if the sky is falling.

Hitec stands behind our products and takes action when need be. How many other radio companies admitted to an issue prior to having a solution?

Mike.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Michel

Hi

Okay Mike , didn,t I say the same thing ,.......................... Okay ,............ you said it better ( mechanic vs white shirt )

Michel
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Mike, You knock the people that pionered the 2.4. All you had to do was copy and improve the system. Yet you are still having problems. You were one of the last ones on the market. I am glad Hitec was not the pioneer.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Was at LHS today-the counter guy and I were talking about the Aurora and he told me that they have sold seven in three months and have had three to send back because of brownouts-lockouts-or I guess we can call it blips that all resulted in lost models-he told me I should buy JR.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Michel

Hi

( I like this )

Ya ,.................. but they brought the best looking girl ,...........................
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Is that because JR has never had a lockout or a brownout with their system?!?!? [X(]
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
rhd-RCU

You started throwing stones, expect to get them back.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Waco

I have been sitting here for the last few weeks reading all this anti Hitec jabber and it is getting old, it is obvious there are a few on here that take every opportunity they get to bash the Aurora like none of the other systems have problems, your not going to get a perfect system, just like any thing else there will be problems, JR, Futuba, Airtronics or any other are not perfect like some would like you to believe. I guess the System that is top dog will always have those trying to throw them off the hill so they can take their place. If you don't like the Aurora than don't use it and quite your whining. I have own all the major radios over the last 30 years and they all have the good and bad traits and I either live with it or move on to something else instead of getting on here and whining about it all the time. Grow up boys.!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
rhd-RCU

Mike Mayberry started the name calling. As a rep it doesn't look good to try and make your product look better by bashing some else's. I didn't bash the Aurora.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Waco

You just proved my point, you are obviously bias because I have read all the posts and Mike did not bash any one, he just pointed out that the other systems were not perfect either and have had problems, So they are not perfect without problems like you expect the Aurora to be. I own two of these radios and love them they are the best bang for the buck I have seen yet, sure they are not perfect but they are close.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Mike,

Thank you for the clarification. I still have 1.06. In addition I have not updated any of my Rxs. I have one Optimas seven left and six Optima nines installed. Should I update all the Rx's and the Tx? Other than the voltage feed back I do not use the telemetry stuff. That is why I didn't do any updates. I do have the HPP-22.

BTW: For the person stating he was seeing negative comments. In no way did I slam the Hitec stuff nor do I rememmber anyone else doing it this week other than just asking questions.. In fact, just the opposite, I have two Eclipse Sevens, a Lazer six, and now the A9. I also have a brand F 9caps, (never was completely sold on it although it was okay), but went back to Hitec as soon as the A9 came out. The others have all performed flawlessly. Also, I'm still sold on the A9. I lost a plane and some of the good folks on here have been giving avenues to pursue in order to try to find out what happened for which I'm thankful. I used this thread since I just changed all over to the A9 and was hopeing Mike would see my question. This is my first 2.4. Please read the post I've had for the last week and see if you have any suggestions, I would be very appreciative. Just trying to decide if I need to change something before I fly any of my more expensive planes. One of them is a gas plane with two batteries on two separate switches. Have done static test with all my planes and they seem to work good. Have flown all but two on the A9 since switching over, one is a super 80 ZDZ engine and the other is a large glow. Thinking of flying them this next weekend but wanted to attempt to see what condition may have caused an issue for me last weekend. I have been out of town for a couple of days, but down to performing a wiggle test on the switch, Rx, and harness when I get home tomorrow night.

Again thanks,
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Was at LHS today-the counter guy and I were talking about the Aurora and he told me that they have sold seven in three months and have had three to send back because of brownouts-lockouts-or I guess we can call it blips that all resulted in lost models-he told me I should buy JR.
I have to say that a very short time ago I had a similar conversation but they couldn't keep Hitec in the store due to popularity and performance and had given up on Spektrum/JR generally with lots of returns, etc. I guess conditions are different in Canada.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I think different areas have different preferences. I would buy products from any of the major brands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.