Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Lego/Futaba/Duracell/Dean's/Camera....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Lego/Futaba/Duracell/Dean's/Camera....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 02:58 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lego/Futaba/Duracell/Dean's/Camera....

Earlier this year I tried to do a norvel + lego car, with a working clutch and drum brake.. that didn't hold up...

So here is an electric camera car!

All duracell batts... Uses 4 AA for RX pack, 6 AA for motor, and one 9V for the camera (also a 9V for the camera reciever, and a Futaba pack for the TX)
Set up for forward/brake operation (can be changed, but it would be a hassle)
Rack/pinion steering.
High traction tires (and since it doesn't go that fast and doesn't slide in the corners... they never wear)
Gear ratio: 1:1.667
Antenna: Deans one-piece base loaded antenna
Camera: color, from ebay, for $20.

Using a Futaba 6XHS 6channel heli radio, but only using 2 channels on the car (i might add viewing rotation to the cam)

Pros: Constructed with chassis strength in mind, plus ease of removing single components without removing other ones. I wanted to get a pan car for my cam car, but I built this for free instead.

Cons: Doesn't drive very fast, eats double A batteries quickly, uses a relatively inefficient and weak lego motor, and weighs two pounds. Steering servo needs a better way to attach the gear...

Next up: Gettin the cam airborne... (in full control )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68197.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	78566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54733.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	78567  
Old 11-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Billiam411

Default RE: Lego/Futaba/Duracell/Dean's/Camera....

I built one out of knex once, had a 6cell battery, servo, ESC, and 550 motor, to bad it got taken apart. Didn't go very fast, was weak, and turning always broke.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:33 AM
joelacrane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need "Fishertechnik". They are kind of like legos, exept the slide together and they are extremelly strong. I have only broken 1 peice in all my years of playing with those things! In germany (Where they are made) they use these things for industrial training! I am not kidding! Of course they make another line of them for kids to mess with...

They have AWSOME realistic tires. I also have a pneumatics set. You build your own compressor, hook up all the hoses to the 2 way cylinders, and run it!

If you think legos were the first ones to have computers, think again! Fishertechnik had computerized stuff way back before windows 95!

I would build a Fishertech RC car but i dont have a spare radio, esc or servos.

With these things the possibleitys are endless! You could make an offroad one because you could put springs on the cylinders to make shocks!

Other usefull parts they have, working trannys, working rack and pinion steering, a differential, cool treaded tires, big ol 6-inch long plastic "beams" for a chassy, an INFARED controller (Not rc, but still cool!), computerized pnuematics, and tons of sensors for the computerized stuff! I'll find some pics if you guys want...
Old 12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Mopzilla

Thanks Joe, but I already had all these Lego parts so it was free. I think if I really wanted to build my own car, I'd just use some of the machines in my school and make my own parts.

Driving this car around is really fun, with the camera on... I rebuilt the whole thing, I shaved off about 7 ounces of lego pieces, shortened the wheelbase, and changed the gearing to 1:1 (with only two gears). Also add a double shock bumper that makes it look somewhat like a bug. It's really great for when the screen you're using is actually a camcoder, so you can control it from anywhere in your house. I've been sick for a week, spending most of the days in bed, so if I need anything brought to me, people just put the pills or medicine on the car and i can drive it over to my bed. I will get some rechargeable AA batts for it though.