Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginners view of Multiplex Easy Star

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginners view of Multiplex Easy Star

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 04:55 PM
xanatos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginners view of Multiplex Easy Star

Being a complete newbie to RC I thought I would share my experience with the Multiplex Easy Star. I recommend the model to any beginner looking for a stable and fun park flyer.

I received my Multiplex Easy Star today. It came RTF with all components (radio, receiver and servos) already installed. The battery, receiver and speed controller are all attached to the fuselage by Velcro strips. Checking over the components I noticed that the only defect was that the control horn on the elevator was not properly glued in place. This was quickly fixed with a bit of CA. The plane is made from “elapor” and CA can be used on it.

The only other change I had to make was to replace the alligator clips on the charger with a cigarette lighter plug.

The remaining assembly was quite simple although the instructions were a little brief for a newbie like myself. For instance before joining the wing halves together a supplied plastic wing spar needs to be inserted. The spar itself was taped to the lid of the box the plane came in so it escaped my attention first time around.

The pushrods are attached to the control horns by a standard connector. The connector itself is adjusted via a small allen key supplied with the plane. Don’t make the mistake I made by attempting to undo the nut holding the connector to the control horn – its glued in place. I tried to loosen it and ended up breaking the connector.

After a quick trip to my local store to pick up a new connector I was able to complete installation of the stab & fin. Double sided tape was provided but I glued them in place instead. I adjusted the control surfaces as best I could and did a quick radio check. It turned out that the elevator was reversed so I had to correct that. The manual didn’t mention what the control throws should be so I had to assume that they were correct.

At this point I balanced the plane. Quick hint – balance the plane after you apply the decals as they affect the models balance significantly.

I had to wait a day or two for some calm conditions but time came to fly. I flew the plane in a local soccer field. Hand launching was no problem and to rose quite well. First thing I noticed however was how unresponsive the rudder was. I change the position of the connector on the control horn from the default outer most hole to the second to inner-most one. Much better now and it flies quite well – difficult for me though in anything but the lightest breeze.

I did have chance to test the reparability of the elapor. I unfortunately flew the plane into a fence bounding the field and the left main wing broke in half just the spar. I glued the halves with CA and its still holding together!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:41 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Beginners view of Multiplex Easy Star

Thanks for sharing your experience with the plane.

Sounds like you had to do quite a bit with it. While it may come with all the right stuff and the electronics installed, it doesn't sound like a real ready to fly. To me a true RTF doesn't require and glue and should take no more than an hour to set up.

Not important, just my opinion.

Anyway, sounds like you got it into the air and got some flying time your first day out.

I hope you will give us an update after 15 or 20 flights.

Tell us about flight duration and how well the charger works.

As you gain experience, are you able to handle stronger winds?

Are you getting any help or coaching from an experienced flyer?

How does the radio feel in your hands?

Any glitches or things you would like to see the manufacturer change.

We look forward to your update.

Congratulations pilot!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:08 PM
xanatos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can give a few answers to some of your questions right now!

- Flight duration is approx 15-18 mins. Winds have been up a bit and I've always gotten a little nervous toward 20mins which was the amount of time the motor ran at about 2/3 throttle on the bench (with no servo activity)

- The charger takes 30 mins to charge up the 7.2 V 600 mAmpHr cell.

- I am not receiving any coaching yet - There is however a local club and I will look there for instruction for my other plane a Hobbico Nexstar (don't worry - I'm not going to fly that one without some qualified instruction)

- The Radio is a Hitec Focus AM. The rudder and elevator controls is on the single stick. There is no throttle stick but rather a slider on the back of the unit just under the antenna. The rudder/elevator feels fine but the throttle has taken a bit of getting used to.

On the whole I think this is a good beginner plane - the only thing I think the manufacturer should change is the responsiveness of the rudder. As I mentioned in my earlier post I did move the position of the connector on the horn but now I get more control deflection with right rudder than with left. Perhaps someone out there could give me some hints to fix that.

I'll keep you posted on any developments (including if my wing repairs continue to hold up!)

Ian
Old 01-11-2004, 11:11 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are getting more rudder on one side than the other, you have to recenter the servo via moving the servo contol arm or making an adjustment at the clevis.

Here is how to do it at the servo:

Remove the Servo arm. turn on the radio and reciever. Make sure the stick is centered and the trims on the radio are centered. Now, re set the arm onto the sevo so that the rudder is centered. If you can't get it perfectly centered you will have to make an adjustment at the clevis.

Depending on kind of connection you have to the servo arm or the control horn on the tail, you can usuall screw one in or out do fine adjust the position of the tail.