Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-14 Tomcat Question(s)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-14 Tomcat Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yellow F-14 Tomcat Question(s)

Okay here goes, My partner just bought that Yellow F-14 that was on ebay....and it is coming to my house for me to build it for him.

My first question (and i know im probably shooting in the dark on it but) is has anyone on here owned one or built this airplane? if so how was the kit to build? any major problems I should know about? how well does the swing wing stuff work?

second ? is We/I will be converting this kit to TT (Twin P-120 Turbines) any tips I should know about? or any tips would be helpful when converting a DF kit to turbine(s).
Old 04-23-2004, 11:34 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-14 Tomcat Question(s)

Hi Warbird:
One suggestion is I think twin 120's will be to heavy for her and way to much power. I am sure other's will jump in.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
jetsetter

I would go ahead and put a pair of P-200's in her. Let's really break the AMA rules. Might as well add at least 3 gallons of fuel, also.

Larry
Old 04-24-2004, 03:21 AM
WarbirdAirRacer

what does it matter when what size engines are in it when you have a left stick to control the power?...
Old 04-24-2004, 07:22 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Warbird:
I have had 2 of these even thou I was not the builder. I am saying that the plane is built for ducted fans, that is why Yellow is completly redueing the plane. Go with two Mambas. Or two P-70's If a fan is putting out 11# max and you put 54 pounds of thrust in her ( if you could carry the fuel ) over the fence you will be at a very high landing speed. Like they say, do what you like. When you get the plane in your hands you will see what I mean.

Enjoy, Dave
Old 04-24-2004, 07:39 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with Dave. The F-14 from YA is not that large and 2 P120s would be overkill. 2 P70s would be perfect and would probably result in 1/2 throttle normal cruise.

Check out this P70 powered plane. And it's a lot bigger than the F-14.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/P_70...1700601/tm.htm
Old 04-24-2004, 07:39 AM
siclick33

what does it matter when what size engines are in it when you have a left stick to control the power?...
As well as the thrust, which is easy to turn down, you also have to consider the physical size and the weight increase.

If you have to buy the engines for this project then there is also the cost factor. This is obviously negated if you already own two P120s and no P80s or P70s.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

two p-120's?? holy crap!

This plane flies well with 2 OS 91's and fans.

I watched David Reid's big Kingcat fly effortlessly and very fast with just 1 p-120 in Austin, I can't imagine using 2 of these in that Tomcat.
A couple of Wrens or FTE-500's would be more than enough power.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:04 PM
WarbirdAirRacer

First of all I am only the Builder NOT the owner of this kit now...

My partner that bought this kit already has 2 P-120s....however thats not to say he couldnt sell them and get something else. And I see your guy'es points. and I understand what you are saying.

I am also guessing I will have to put both turbines in the back of the airplane right? as I have seen this in alot of jets....this isnt my first Jet build but my first turbine jet I am building....I am also guess-a-mating im looking at about 500-1000 hours to build....any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2004, 01:40 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

You might want to take a look at this thread. It's not a YA kit, but is scratch built from plans. It might be good info though.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_F...m_88513/tm.htm
Old 04-24-2004, 06:25 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

cool a f-14 in colorado. this is one of the planes on my "to get list"
I fly a lot a chatfeild and often have a tga f15, f4 ,b17.
Please keep us informed.....especally when its going to maiden.

And its a yellow, I watch ebay alot and alot of jhh/avonds com across but havent seen a yellow. just wondering.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
WarbirdAirRacer

ORIGINAL: b17flyer

cool a f-14 in colorado. this is one of the planes on my "to get list"
I fly a lot a chatfeild and often have a tga f15, f4 ,b17.
Please keep us informed.....especally when its going to maiden.

And its a yellow, I watch ebay alot and alot of jhh/avonds com across but havent seen a yellow. just wondering.

how long have you been flying at Chatfield? whats your name? depending on how long you been flying i probably know you. I found out about this F-14 from another F-14 thread (the one grbaker posted a link to) and told my partner about it and after it ended on ebay he made the guy a offer.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:19 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

unfortunally i'm sparatic there. I 'm in the process of moving to a house and flying is scarse. When i can im working on my t38. The f4 i was flying (testing) was rebuilt and was grey fuse and unprimed wings. My formation partner in doug myers and flew (testing) his was white with unprimed surfaces. both are now in his hands and be finished in the blue angles scheme. I built him a little 45d/f sport jet that he destroyed in a LOW pass the ended suddenly. We usually also flew with his step dad that has a Byron mig15, bvm F86/ bvm aggressor that is red.

You fly that mustang that has the exhust that leaves the stacks and goes down to the wing then across the top?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:40 PM
WarbirdAirRacer

lol nope thats not my mustang..... I also sent you an email.

John
Old 04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
WarbirdAirRacer

Bump...anymore help would be most helpful!

Thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Noir

Hey Warbird. Just wanted to say good luck, and have a terrific build. If you could, when you start post pics for us, and keep us in the loop...as many of us ( I for sure at least) will be building the redesigned Y/A F-14 that will be coming out...ummm...who knows

Happy Building.

p.s. I wonder if the added weigth of your propose engines would effect the planes flight envelope negatively. Take offs and landings more so.

Noir
Old 04-26-2004, 01:50 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I would love to see a twin F-14, but be careful & really inspect the swing wing mechanism to make your own judgement if you think it will still operate properly under the increased wieght load which is greatly amplified in high G manuevers. I would say sell the 120's & go with something lighter !...Not to mention where ya going to get the room for fuel to feed thoes 120's.
I think when you get it in your hands & look over it, you'll have a much better Idea. Please keep us informed & the best of luck to you.
Jermaine
Old 04-26-2004, 02:28 PM
WarbirdAirRacer

Hey Warbird. Just wanted to say good luck, and have a terrific build. If you could, when you start post pics for us, and keep us in the loop...as many of us ( I for sure at least) will be building the redesigned Y/A F-14 that will be coming out...ummm...who knows

Happy Building.

p.s. I wonder if the added weigth of your propose engines would effect the planes flight envelope negatively. Take offs and landings more so.

Noir
Thanks for your input, I sure will be posting pics as soon as it gets here. I know im biting my teeth waiting for it to get here.[X(]
I was also thinking about calling Yellow to see if there is anyway I could get some of the updated parts for the turbine swap?...though i think i would be a shooting in the dark. *shrugs*

Yeah, I agree. I would love to see a twin F-14, but be careful & really inspect the swing wing mechanism to make your own judgement if you think it will still operate properly under the increased wieght load which is greatly amplified in high G manuevers. I would say sell the 120's & go with something lighter !...Not to mention where ya going to get the room for fuel to feed thoes 120's.
I think when you get it in your hands & look over it, you'll have a much better Idea. Please keep us informed & the best of luck to you.
Jermaine

I thing I am wondering about the swing wings is how much the CG changes from norm. to full swang back ? I am hoping all that is in the book with the kit... I have talked with my friend and he is going to see what he can do about getting some smaller turbines....

You can bet I will be posting pics as I will need some help with the turbine swap[&o] among other things.....
Old 04-26-2004, 02:35 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been in discussions with a few people in the know on this jet over the last 8 months or so. I have heard but not verified that part of the reason this airplane is not currently in production is because the two that have been converted or built for turbine flight could not get enough fuel on board to have more than a 4 minute flight. Bryce Watson told me about a twin Ram 500 YA F-14 on the east coast (virginia?) that was getting about 4 minutes with room for a go around. I was considering building this jet with a centerline fuel tank on Twin P-70's. As I recall the fuel consumption on the P-70's is less than the RAM 500 (foggy memory if I'm wrong) It might have been the artes that I'm remembering. If you can build 20 ounces of fuel into the wings, you might be on to something. I was thinking those side saddle tanks or similar might work well in the wings near the root as I believe that's pretty much on the cg and on this jet might not cause problems in roll?

While building, keep in mind where you're gonna put fuel. The twin 120's (while very efficient on fuel, at least for me) are going to be a real drain on your system and the wing loading and every thing else associated with bigger engines might be a problem. If there is an option to go to smaller engines, I would do it.

If chaning engines isn't an option, I'd seriously consider a different jet and get out from under the F-14. I suspect next year YA will come out with the re-release of this jet and it will be an awesome awesome jet. YA puts out great stuff for sure.

Regardless, good luck, very cool project and I can't wait to see how it comes along if you all proceed.

Sean
Old 04-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

I believe the aircraft is fine with twin P-120's if done right. I personally would prefer the P-70's on it but have recently helped out a friend to convert his from DF to twin RAM 1000's. There is definitely room for fuel and my friend has done them up from Kevlar. The engines do sit in the area of the DF packages but the rear had to be beefed and modefied. The taileron control had to be changed to a Y/A F-18 style for short and very positive servo set-up. The way everything has worked out, it needed no dead weight with just movement of stuff around and modifications. He should be test flying it in a month or so so I can report back at that time.

Building from kit will be much easier if going right to turbines. We had a bunch of work to undo and redo things since it was already built. The way the turbines are st up is that they work with reduced power but in case an engine flames out, the running turbine can get to full power with a flick of a switch.

I would not prefer to use anything less than the P-70 in this or any other plane of this size and weight. The smaller engines are more finicky and if you lose one, you will definitely not have enough power to bring it back.

My frien has kept detail records of all the changes, parts needed, radio programming from multiples to JR 10X, templates of formers, pictures, plugs etc. so if the flying goes as planned, that stuff will be available.

Good luck with your build. It is not all that bad.

Oh - from personal experience flying the F-14, the c.g changes requires slight trim change. What really changes is the control throws. They must be VERY reduced (dual rates) before going to swept mode.

Regards,

Adil
Old 04-26-2004, 03:15 PM
WarbirdAirRacer

ORIGINAL: Adil Nasim

I believe the aircraft is fine with twin P-120's if done right. I personally would prefer the P-70's on it but have recently helped out a friend to convert his from DF to twin RAM 1000's. There is definitely room for fuel and my friend has done them up from Kevlar. The engines do sit in the area of the DF packages but the rear had to be beefed and modefied. The taileron control had to be changed to a Y/A F-18 style for short and very positive servo set-up. The way everything has worked out, it needed no dead weight with just movement of stuff around and modifications. He should be test flying it in a month or so so I can report back at that time.

Building from kit will be much easier if going right to turbines. We had a bunch of work to undo and redo things since it was already built. The way the turbines are st up is that they work with reduced power but in case an engine flames out, the running turbine can get to full power with a flick of a switch.

I would not prefer to use anything less than the P-70 in this or any other plane of this size and weight. The smaller engines are more finicky and if you lose one, you will definitely not have enough power to bring it back.

My frien has kept detail records of all the changes, parts needed, radio programming from multiples to JR 10X, templates of formers, pictures, plugs etc. so if the flying goes as planned, that stuff will be available.

Good luck with your build. It is not all that bad.

Oh - from personal experience flying the F-14, the c.g changes requires slight trim change. What really changes is the control throws. They must be VERY reduced (dual rates) before going to swept mode.

Regards,

Adil

The size and weight has been on my mind for sometime..rather since i found out i would be building it for him...and power was my main consern because Im sure I or someone else of his liking will be doing the test flight(s)..and where i live the field we/I fly at is about 5800 feet over sea level..... Now the runways are long enough to handle this size of an airplane, however my thoughts are just what you pointed out...if an engine has flame out will there be enough engine to bring it back home and land safely!?!

I myself would rather have the big engines for power incase something was to happen that a engine had flame out... but with the bigger engines weight comes into play and high wing loadings too...But this isnt my airplane and its not my place to make that kind of call so I can only give him my opinions on what should be done....Hell I'd be willing to buy those P-120s for my (JetMart) Mig 29 im thinking about doing...then he could get some P-80s or 90s or whatever he wanted too.

BTW do you have any pics i could check out? to help get a better idea....Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:46 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Adil, curious to know who has the F-14 ???...you can PM me or shoot me an email, & please try to remember me on the maiden !
Jermaine
Old 08-10-2004, 02:40 PM
rcjetfan

man i dont even think yellow knows when or if their going to release the new tomcat kit. Ive called them several time and all they tell me is it MIGHT be sometime next year. i can never get a straight answer from the guy that answers the phone.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:59 PM
got turbine

F-14 with twin p-120...nasty......
GHP
Old 08-10-2004, 03:14 PM
tomcatman
My Feedback: (2)

I'd like to take a moment to jump on what Adil mentioned about the flight characteristics of the Tomcat. I have a video that features an interview with another renowned Tomcat flyer, Mr. Charlie Trivits. I believe he was one of the first to build a Y/A F-14 with variable geometry exhaust nozzles, although the video never did show the maiden flight of this bird do to unfavorable weather conditions during that particular jet meet. He went on to state that although the center of gravity does change when in swept mode, so does the center of lift. The center of lift being further aft, makes the aircraft much more sensitive to roll. Upon sweeping the wings, low rates on the control surfaces are simultaneously selected, but even in swept mode, it is a very fun airplane to fly. Now, in the past couple of years, a small handful of jet flyers have converted a Tomcat to twin turbine power, but where the Y/A F-14 is concerned, none have used such a large turbine engine. I would seriously consider a smaller pair of engines that are comparable in power to the ducted fan engines this particular model was designed for. Yes, you can spool down larger engines, but the added weight spells disaster in my opinion. This model just wasn't designed to handle that kind of power, unless you want to redesign it as you build it. In any event, I would certainly consider carbon reinforcements throughout the fuselage or you'll find it literally splitting in half with a high G load turn, especially with larger engines. Then there's also the ridiculously fast landing speed. Here's a scenario for you...what if....upon take off with a full fuel load, something goes wrong and you have to land? All that added weight from 2 turbine engines and not to mention all that fuel, will certainly cause havoc if the plane is not modified to handle the weight. Bottom line, it's not worth the risk of loosing a $10,000+ investment in an effort to overkill the power with 2 large engines. I think 2 P-70's or 2 JF50 BEES is more than enough. Please keep us posted...some pics of your progress from start to finish would certainly be greatly appreciated....and best of luck to ya!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.