Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

For people who say stock sav won't wheelie... VIDEO

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

For people who say stock sav won't wheelie... VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For people who say stock sav won't wheelie... VIDEO

Over and over here I hear people say that a stock Savage (25 or ss) won't yank the front-end with the stock (15/49) gearing... Everyone that I have ever seen tuned properly will. Here is a short video (45 secs) of about 9 wheelies on pavement from a stock SS with a 2 shoe clutch, and keep in mind that the springs on the SS are a bit softer than on the 25 RTR which should mean the RTR ought to do it easier (esp. considering the RTRs and NEWER SSs come with a 3-shoe clutch).

To the one user who says this is untrue, I guess the only 5 or 6 I've ever seen are unlike ALL THE REST EVER MADE, because they ALL will do this.

The link goes to an open directory, go to the directory and right-click and choose save. The filename is SSwheelies.WMV, and at 1.2 MB it is dialup friendly as well.

Enjoy.

http://america.post911timeline.org/U...RCVideo/SSvid/
Old 11-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Roadhog2K4

Default RE: For people who say stock sav won't wheelie... VIDEO

mine does that, well it doesnt anymore, the engine is destroyed
Old 11-30-2004, 12:31 PM
sprocket226

Well looks like I have some tuning to do, cause mine won't pop the front end up unless the front wheels bump something. Cool video, that truck looks like it runs strong
Old 11-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Wizz Kid

alright hot shot if this is true what are the tune settings?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:10 PM
estella

i ve got a savage ss and it does wheelies with 52/14 gearing and my needle settigs are rich(LSN 2 turns and HSN 1 3/4 richer),my settings are richer because of the weather....u all can see my address why its rich, ill try to get some videos tomorrow without the body and bare with me guys coz this video im going to do is gonna be my first.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Wizz Kid

[X(]lsn at 2! that is lean! i cant get mine under 3 without worrying about damage. your hsn is the same as mine though.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: Viper_GTS-R

alright hot shot if this is true what are the tune settings?
Well let's see, we live in VA and you live in KS.... Why on EARTH would you think that what works here would be the same there?

Go here to learn how to tune your engine: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2284629 It's long enough that if I were to have to re-type it everytime it comes up, I would be on 8 or 9 times by now... What the heck, I'll quote it for ya:

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Look, it really doesn't matter what other's settings are... SOOOOO many variables affect this (plug type, fuel type, relative humidity, temperature, differences in eniges and carb that are within allowed manufacturing deviation....) that what one person runs is no comparison to be using against yours.

TUNING 101

There is NO HARM in running the the S25 up to 270F as long as it isn't lean (stuttering).... They guys on another forum have been performance tuning vs. temperature tuning with interesting results. Their engines are running as long as those who were obesessing over lower temperatures, all the while the performance tuned engines were SCREAMING. Did you know that even with 16/49 gearing the stock S25 can be made to wheelie at will AND give good pull to top end? It can while at 270 or so and still provide longevity.

Tune for performance, forget the gimmicks, go with what works.

If you are already getting good top end and you are running at 250F or so (if you haven't bought a 20 dollar temp-taker DO IT) here is what to do to get SNAPPY response, this is what pulls wheels and gives you that GREAT take-off:

1. Since off the line "snap" can be given or taken away by being lean OR rich on the LSN the first move is a guess (well it won't be after you get a feel for it, but this will get you going quickly)...

2. Pull the truck up in front of you and let it idle for 8 seconds. Then pull the trigger to WOT... Did it scream and take off? If no:

3. You have to go one way or the other... choose richer or leaner (suprisingly to many beginners, off the line stutters can be caused by too lean conditions just as easily as too rich) and turn the LSN in that direction 1/16th of a turn. Make a short pass at medium to high throttle and return the truck to in front of you.

4. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor the throttle. Did it take off better or worse? If better, turn it a 1/16 in the same direction, if it got worse, turn it 1/8th the OPPOSITE way. Either direction you started in, now you will be going one way based on whether it got better or not... either richer or leaner.

5. Make another short pass at medium to full throttle (AFTER you made the change to the LSN) and return the truck to you. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor it. Is it still getting better? If so, continue to lean or richen using the pass/idle 8 seconds method until you lose preformance and back up a step...

If your temps are in range this is how to quickly get your truck to "explode" off of the line... Always make the pass to clear out the engine and then let it idle 8 seconds. The idling will allow it to either lean out or load up, depending on which way the current settings are off... Get the hang of this and your truck can really take off. If you end up leaning the LSN out excessively make sure to keep an eye on temps, your top end needle may need a bit of enrichment.
For some reason even in the mags when they tell you how to tune they have you pinching the fuel line and timing the result to "set" your LSN. No doubt this is a good way to get in the ballpark, but it is FAR from precise.

And btw: viper, you are not the one user I was referring to, so calm it down.... You can't take the settings of others to apply to your ride, I know I said it above but I'm SERIOUS, FORGET WHAT OTHERS ARE RUNNING and figure out what works for you.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
estella

[X(]lsn at 2! that is lean! i cant get mine under 3 without worrying about damage. your hsn is the same as mine though.
hey viper i said richer not leaner, can u see my address and if you do u know its getting really cold here and i will not sacrifice my engine by being lean coz this is my replacement engine from hpieurope.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Wizz Kid

i just read it wrong ok? it sounded like you said it was rich at 2 turns from closed. god everybody gets mad at me when i say one thing wrong or right and chews me out. im not liking this place.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:51 PM
ratpower396

Hey Frost in the video I heard your truck shift to 2nd gear while still lifting the wheels up..Why do you have your trans set to shift so soon?? Nice video too..
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
amsterdamn

That's my truck - the one in the video. Yeah, it's bad ass. Got a good deal on it, too.

I pulled the engine out Saturday night and added a Mugen three-shoe aluminum clutch, Motor Saver, ACNCM head, and RotoStart.

It's crazy that the truck would wheelie with that weak little two-shoe.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:05 PM
20blks

My savage wheelied bone stock with no problem. Now I have a 52t spur gear and forget about it!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: amsterdamn

That's my truck - the one in the video. Yeah, it's bad ass. Got a good deal on it, too.

I pulled the engine out Saturday night and added a Mugen three-shoe aluminum clutch, Motor Saver, ACNCM head, and RotoStart.

It's crazy that the truck would wheelie with that weak little two-shoe.

Oh well, it stayed stock for all of a couple of weeks... [8D]
Old 12-01-2004, 11:25 AM
estella

My video of stock ss with 14/52,2 shoe clutch and alu arms and skid

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=43963

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=43962
Old 12-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Wizz Kid

i have the 25 with 14/52 ss pipe motorsavers and s3003 throttle and i cant wheelie on demand
Old 12-01-2004, 05:00 PM
estella

i have the 25 with 14/52 ss pipe motorsavers and s3003 throttle and i cant wheelie on demand

it depends on your tuning and climate conditions... My LSN 2 turns counterclockwise and HSN 1 3/4 counterclockwise and eats like a whale.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Frost_

Dude, I go to the trouble of digging up my post on how to get that thing tuned and you ignore it for what... the second, third time?

A horribly mistuned engine with that pipe and filter should wheelie with that ultra-low 14/52... Here's an idea, print off the tuning technique and go give it a try...
Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Savageman25

My savage would wheelie stock until i removed the shocks to lower it for racing
Old 12-01-2004, 07:23 PM
neil.jb

totally agree with what your saying frost although i would like to point out that the purple and black springs are the same rate, its a common misconception that the purples are slightly softer,

see link to hpi's forum

http://www.hpiracing.com/rcforum/sho...threadid=67425
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Frost_

Well I value your word over most all of the posters here, but that truck sat side by side with mine, both using the same weight oil and they sure FEEL softer. They even have that "less tense" appearance at all points of travel. The black springs also give a tad higher ride, which I also attributed to the same. I suppose I could be tripping but I will measure the force needed to compress each spring here in the near future.

Savageman, heh, how does that thing handle with no shocks?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
neil.jb

maybe your right frost, i never really had a chance to do i real life comparison like for like as my friend and i (i have 25, he has ss) only kept our suspension stock for a very short time and never tested them side by side, im just going on what the guy from the hpi forum says,
Old 12-02-2004, 05:37 PM
amsterdamn

The truck frost's sat next to is mine and there is definitely a difference (mine, the purple shocks, are softer).
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Frost_

...eh, purple springs
Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 PM
amsterdamn

uh, yeah... those things
Old 12-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Frost_

^^BUMP for relevance^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.