Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:59 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

ORIGINAL: Ken
...When I decided to do this build thread I had no idea how much work was involved. It's one thing to build a plane, but to build one and have to plan and take pictures of the entire build really eats up the time. I probably could have had this build finished up by now if it wasn't for documenting it. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying every bit of this build (and glad that I can help out others out there), but I had no clue of how much extra time it was going to take. But it's really a labor of love for me, so I definitely don't mind one bit...
That's funny - I was just pondering that very problem myself while uploading pictures of my Air Scout build. You're right - documenting a build takes a whole LOT of time, but I wouldn't do it any other way. It's nice to be able to give back something to the hobby from time to time.
I can only imagine how much time the magazine authors put in to it, even before writing the article. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Ken,
Its really thoughtful of what your doing. I have been secretly following this thread, and loved it besides some things here and there. I really think that seabee will enjoy this plane. Good work. I am sure you don't care, but this is really a cool thing.

Hope you had a great christmas
-Chad
Old 12-29-2005, 07:49 AM
bubbagates

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

Ken,
Its really thoughtful of what your doing. I have been secretly following this thread, and loved it besides some things here and there. I really think that seabee will enjoy this plane. Good work. I am sure you don't care, but this is really a cool thing.

-Chad
I see your back.

What things did you not like about this thread. It's a great one. Extremely informative and very insightful and exactly how a build should be done, at least in my opinion
Old 12-29-2005, 08:06 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

Ken,

-Chad
I see your back.

What things did you not like about this thread. It's a great one. Extremely informative and very insightful and exactly how a build should be done, at least in my opinion
I had to re-read it to see what you were referring to as initially it didn't appear that he didn't like it. But he did manage to slip that bit of criticism in under the radar. Unfortunately, the fact that he doesn't seem to think that anyone would care overshadows what might have otherwise been a mostly complementary completely unexpected comment from him. It's too bad his second chance to make a good first impression has indicated that this leopard's spots still haven't changed.

Heeee's BAAAAaaaaaaack...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, believe it or not I'm gonna try to stick up for Chad a Litttttttle bit. I'm not sure he was bad mouthing anything in this thread but merely saying in his (what 15-16 year old English) that he had also been reading other threads in secret also. But we knew that already.

The part that does still show his attitude is "I am sure you don't care". That would have been a great post to have returned to the forums with if you could have resisted a back-handed slap at Ken.

Please adjust your attitude Chad before coming to the computer. I hope you can learn to be a productive member here.

How has your flying been coming along?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 AM
R T W

I for one will say that I thank Ken Very much for this thread
and have found it very informative for a newbee like me

RTW
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Digger44

You know, I took Chad's remark as self pity, meaning he thought that nobody cares what he thinks, not that KEN doesn't care about the build. Maybe just perspective in the way I read it..
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 AM
bruce88123

Hmmm? - Self pity? - Appropriate? - Hmmmm? I'm sorry, did I type that out loud?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:10 AM
maineac58

Could we please return to the build thread?? This has always been my favorite set of forums because there was so little slamming and flaming. Ken is doing a fantastic job and is to be highly commended for his efforts. I am ordering an LT-40 and will surely use the thread to assist me in the constrction.

Think Spring!!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks all for the kind comments. I'm glad that you are finding this thread useful. That was my goal when I set out to do this build thread. I should have the next posts ready to go later today or tomorrow (barring any more emergencies). I've been run a bit ragged this week, my wife has come home with the latest "creeping crud" that is going around this winter season. We own a business together and she is usually in the shop, so with her home I've had to be in the shop this week to fill in for her. And it's been a bit busy so I haven't had much time to catch up on the thread. But she's back at work now, so hopefully we can get caught up this morning and I'll be able to get back to normal.

Thanks again.

Ken
Old 12-29-2005, 11:04 AM
elenasgrumpy

maineac, Trust me when I say no-one here was bashing or flaming on Ken, & you are right he has done an excellent job with this build thread & all for a great cause as well! I believe you could actually throw Sig's instructions out the window & build your LT-40 right off of the info Ken has supplied throughout this thread. Allthough I wouldn't really reccomend that.

Chad just wants everyone to know he's still lurking around!

Mark
Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Pilot Chad

Bruce,
I was just stating the RC Ken, probably didn't care about what I was saying, i know he is into this build and is also caring alot about it. Please contact me further through E-MAIL with any other questions because i don't want this to get off topic.

Good job Mr. Isaac!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 PM
ibflying

A Barbie plane...will be different!!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:22 PM
MountaineerFan36

Cant' wait to see this baby finished. Ken you are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:26 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: MountaineerFan36

Cant' wait to see this baby finished. Ken you are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the great work!
Wow, look who just popped in, How ya been MoutaineerFan???
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: ibflying

A Barbie plane...will be different!!
I actually saw one done in a Biplane. Really was pretty cool looking and all the girls and women loved it. HHHMMMMM !!!!! Let's lookat this more closely, pretty pink plane, decent looking women crowding around it oh'ing and aw'ing. Now where is my Hog Bipe kit

I gotta ask because I'm to lazy to look it up

Where is Masontown, Pa. I'm out close to Hershey Pa
Old 12-29-2005, 04:37 PM
bruce88123

225 mailes West of you. Just west of Uniontown.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 PM
MountaineerFan36

Bubba:

Super busy at work + new baby and 2 year old = very little free time!

I am scheduling some down time to watch my Mountaineers put a monkey stompin' on the Georgia Bulldogs on Monday though
Old 01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I have a question for all of those following this build thread. First of all, RCU Member (and graphics guru) Minnflyer has put together several good how-to's on apply covering to an plane. They can be found at:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=67]Minnflyer Covering how-to[/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov1.wmv]Minnflyer Covering video, part 1[/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov2.wmv]Minnflyer Covering video. part 2[/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov3.wmv]Minnflyer Covering video, part 3[/link]

Please take a moment to look those over before answering this next question. What I would like to know is if anybody thinks that I should also do some video documentary of the covering of the PIF build. I personally don't think that I should "reinvent" the wheel here because Minnflyer has done such a great job on his videos (ok Mike, do I get my monthly royalty for the plug?? ), but if anybody thinks that they would benefit from additional video of covering I would be more than happy to make additional videos of covering. Or, if anybody has any "problem areas" that they have trouble covering and would like to see how to do it please let me know and I will be more than happy shoot a video of me covering that area. Get your requests in quickly because I will be starting to cover quickly. Don't worry, I plan on doing the normal still picture coverage of the covering process, so there will be plenty to look at.

Ok, before somebody picks up on what I just said and nails me to the wall, yes I did say that I'm about to cover the plane. Like I said before in this thread, the build process is way ahead of the documentation process! Sorry. I was hoping that I could get caught up this month as December is usually one of our slowest months of the year, but I was proved wrong this month. It has been non-stop hectic at work (don't get me wrong, being self employed I never complain about too much work). And on top of that my wife was sick last week so I had to sit in the shop to cover for her. All of that adds up to the fact that I haven't gotten the write-ups done that I had planned on. I will definitely get caught up this next week and get you all back up to speed. I do thank everybody for their patience as I am getting this done.

More later

Ken
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Pilot Chad

RCken,
It would be a huge help to make another video. specifically where the bottom of the fuse and the sides have the seam.

Thanks
Chad
Old 01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
bubbagates

Ken,

Personally I do not see where Minn missed anything in either the videos or the explanation.

I used all of these items on my first covering job and I was pleased with the results
Old 01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
elenasgrumpy

Well I've watched all 3 videos & Mike certainly makes it look easy enough! I still think I need more hands. Or maybe you or Mike can just pop over to the house & do it for me.

Mark
Old 01-02-2006, 09:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

Well I've watched all 3 videos & Mike certainly makes it look easy enough! I still think I need more hands. Or maybe you or Mike can just pop over to the house & do it for me.

Mark
I would be more than happy to do that for you, except I don't think this ole country boy would survive in Caly-for-ni-ah!!!!

Ken
Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Skycam41

I have been in this hobby for about 11 years or so and have built numerous planes, kits etc and I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this maticulous build with incredible documentation. I have learnt things as this trainer plane has been coming together and very much appreciate the time and effort that has been put into this project. It will help many a beginner and experienced modeler alike. Thank you!
Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM
elenasgrumpy

Ahh you start to get used to it after about 4o yrs Ken. I'm from Wewoka, & just about used to be here.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.