Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 AM
brocja01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

Hey Ken, hows the covering coming on the build? Have you gotten that far yet?

Happy New Year everyone!!! Going to be a great year!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM
flybug

ORIGINAL: Skycam41

I have been in this hobby for about 11 years or so and have built numerous planes, kits etc and I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this maticulous build with incredible documentation. I have learnt things as this trainer plane has been coming together and very much appreciate the time and effort that has been put into this project. It will help many a beginner and experienced modeler alike. Thank you!
Mike
Well said Skycam41 and I totally agree. RCKen, on the offer for additional covering video I want to take you up on it, Minn has done a superb job on the article and the videos, I will like to see covering on the wing tips that are not flat (the ones with the piece of balsa at a 45 degree and also monokote over monokote) Some times watching different approaches helps a lot and maybe you are left handed like I am and we can get a left hand approach
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Left-handed? Does that mean you hold your transmitter with the antenna pointed toward you?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Left-handed? Does that mean you hold your transmitter with the antenna pointed toward you?
You got it all wrong - The antenna still points away, but the sticks point at his FEET!
(And he wanted to maiden my SSE - SHEEEEEESH!)[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 01-03-2006, 01:14 PM
bruce88123

Maiden the SSE? No I didn't. Ya gotta fly your own builds dude. Do your own knee shaking. I shake enough just doing my own and some of the ones for the guys at my field.
I just love it when they hand you a radio and say "Go see if this thing will fly". It's already running and they don't even want you to look it over or anything, just go fly it. Dumb. I just say "OK, it's your money" and go fly it. They usually get back down OK. Some needing a LOT of work though. Trim & balance, not repairs.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
krossk

You must have missed that chapter in the SSE thread - I fully intend to do my own maiden. I put the work into it, so if it wasn't meant to be - then there is no one to blame but me. On the other hand, if it was - then the glory is all mine. If it's half as successful as my T2, I'll be on cloud-9 for quite a while.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: flybug

Well said Skycam41 and I totally agree. RCKen, on the offer for additional covering video I want to take you up on it, Minn has done a superb job on the article and the videos, I will like to see covering on the wing tips that are not flat (the ones with the piece of balsa at a 45 degree and also monokote over monokote) Some times watching different approaches helps a lot and maybe you are left handed like I am and we can get a left hand approach
You got it. I'll shoot a video of both doing the wingtips and of a monokote over monokote for you.

Ken
Old 01-03-2006, 01:59 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: krossk

You must have missed that chapter in the SSE thread - I fully intend to do my own maiden. I put the work into it, so if it wasn't meant to be - then there is no one to blame but me. On the other hand, if it was - then the glory is all mine. If it's half as successful as my T2, I'll be on cloud-9 for quite a while.
The only way a SSE will not fly well is if you built it while hanging the plans from a wall or the building surfaces was very very very warped or while you were sleeping. Actually the SSE could probably be built while you are sleeping
Old 01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
bruce88123

Ken, I guess you missed Chad's request for a video on how to do those pesky seams at the fuselage bottom. After his misfortunes in covering his Four Star last year I can believe that he needs help on this subject. Still wondering if it ever got flown.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
krossk

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: krossk

The only way a SSE will not fly well is if you built it while hanging the plans from a wall or the building surfaces was very very very warped or while you were sleeping. Actually the SSE could probably be built while you are sleeping
Oh, did I sound worried? I'm actually looking forward to it!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:37 PM
bubbagates

Nah, I did not think you sounded worried, just stating a fact about building this plane.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

I found this thread the other day and just finished reading the entire thread. I have been looking for a step-by-step build like this for a long time. This thread is marvelous! Thanks Ken! I have previously built a Mountain Models Tantrum and a Stevens Aeromodel Lil Squirt. These two models were just like putting jigsaw puzzles together. I have purchased a number of larger kits but felt like I didn't know enough to start them yet. I got so excited after reading this thread that I actually started one of them (a Bruce Tharpe Venture 60). Not only that but I purchased a Sig Somethin Extra kit. Thanks again Ken for the wonderful contribution to the R/C community.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

You've been sitting on a BT Venture 60 ???[:@] I've been sitting on my thumbs waiting for Bruce to do another run of kits, then I broke down & got something else for Christmas, now I probably won't have the money when he does another run here pretty soon. I think you picked a good choice to start on though. I read all about that kit, and it sounds like with all the little extra work & detail he puts into them, they should be one of the easiest & best building kits available. I think you'll really enjoy building it. Keep us informed & let me know if it goes together as well as I think it will. Good luck.

Mark
Old 01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
edygert

Actually, the sickness runs deeper than that (much deeper). After putting together the laser cut kits, I found I really liked building so I started buying other kits based on what I read here on RCU. Currently I have the following:

BTE Venture 60 (just started building)
BTE Delta Vortex
BTE Flyin King
Sig Kougar Mk II
Lanier Dominator 500 (got it cheap on E-bay)
Bridi Aircruiser 60 (LHS clearance)
Goldberg Gentle Lady
Mountain Models Flashback
Fast Freddie
SIG Somethin Extra (just added)
GP Venus ARF
GP Fling glider ARF

Am I a "kitaholic"? The toughest part is deciding what to build first. I keep the boxes in my closet so my wife isn't reminded all the time of how many kits I have.

I got started in R/C a couple of years ago buy purchasing an already assembled LT-40 ARF with engine, receiver, battery, servos and Futaba 9CAP radio for $300 from a flyer in PA who just wanted to help someone get started so I am a direct recipient of the "Pay it forward" philosophy. Since then I have added a variety of electric and glow-powered planes to my fleet but I haven't built any from a kit until the Tantrum.

Looking at the list of kits reminded me that I have been thinking about building the Aircruiser 60 and then giving it to a good home. The problem is getting around to building it. If Ken or another builder would like to build the Aircruiser for someone (hopefully with a build thread to go along with it, but not required), I am willing to donate it to the cause. You can see the plane at http://www.bridiairplanes.com/. It is supposed to be an excellent flyer with a semi-symmetrical airfoil. This is an original Bridi airplane kit and has a reputation as a builder's kit. bridiairplanes.com may have made changes to the newer kits but I have not purchased any of them (yet!).

Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
bruce88123

edygert - Your problem is where you live. No winter for building. Only flying days. What a shame. When the sun goes down you can build though.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

As I sat down to get more of this build written up I noticed that it's been 2 weeks since I posted any building information. Wow!!! Time sure does fly. I hadn't realized that it's been that long, but the last 2 weeks have been pretty crazy for me. The week after Christmas my wife came down with an inner ear infection that kept her out of work, so I was pretty covered up since I had to stay in the shop and cover for her. And then this week we've both been playing catch up from her being out of work for a week. Anyway, thinks have finally slowed down so it's time to get more of the build posted for those of you that are following it.

In my last build post I explained how to build the horizontal stabilizer. Now I want to make a quick add-on to that past and talk briefly about the elevator. We need to mark and slot both the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator for our hinges. This is a pretty straight forward step that is done exactly the same way that we did for hinging the ailerons. With the horizontal stabilizer placed on top of the plans, mark the trailing edge as indicated on the plans for the location of the hinges. Once you have the hinge locations marked, go in and mark the center of the hinge slot (in order to drill the hole in the center of the hinge to let CA wick properly into the hinge). Pictures #1-#3 show the trialing edge marked for the hinge slots. Once you have the hinge locations marked on the trailing edge you'll need to find the elevator stock and put it in place behind the trailing edge (picture #4). Don't worry right now if the elevator stock is too long for the horizontal stabilizer, we'll cut it to the correct length later on. While you have it in place, transfer the hinge locations from the trailing edge to the beveled front edge of the elevator. After you have the stabilizer trailing edge and the elevator front edge marked you can go ahead and cut the slots in the locations marked. I'm not going to re-explain how to cut the slots as they are done in exactly the same way that they were done on for the ailerons. Don't forget to drill the hole in the center of the slot for CA to wick into the hinge. Once you have the slots cut go ahead and insert your hinges and temporarily place your elevator on the horizontal stabilzer (pictures #5 and #6). DO NOT GLUE THE ELEVATOR IN PLACE AT THIS TIME. We still have some more work to do later on, so leave it un-glued for right now.

Pictures
1. Marking the horizontal stabilizer trailing edge for the hinge locations.
2. Marking the horizontal stabilizer trailing edge for the hinge locations.
3. Marking the horizontal stabilizer trailing edge for the hinge locations.
4. Transfer the hinge locations to the front of the elevator
5. Elevator temporarily in place after hinge slots have been cut.
6. Elevator temporarily in place after hinge slots have been cut.

Until next time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75053.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	382187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69357.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	382188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14187.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	382189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98653.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	382190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73645.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	382191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96748.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	382192  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

With the horizontal stabilizer built now it's time to move on to the vertical stabilizer. Just in case this question is in your mind, yes this part of the airplane goes by a few different names like vertical stab, tail, tail fin, upright, etc... Sometimes I will chuckle to myself when I have new students at the field and they will come up with some pretty funny names for different parts of the plane. I had one once that referred that "spinny thingy on the front of the plane. You know, what you can use to slice baloney with!!!" He was referring to the prop of course, but I got a good laugh out of it! I know that I'm gonna sound like I'm climbing on my soapbox here for a bit but this is one of my pet peeves, not using the proper names for parts. I don't mind so much that somebody doesn't know the name because they have never been told the proper name for something. But when somebody has been told what it is called and they still won't take call it by the proper name. For instance. One guy always called them servers..... instead of servos. Nose cone instead of spinner. Fuselog instead of fuselage. Ok, point made so I'll get off my soapbox and get back to the build.

Anyway, on to the vertical stabilizer. The construction of this is done in the same manner as the horizontal stabilizer was. So hopefully we're all comfortable measuring and cutting stick balsa by now, because we're going to do the same thing on this assembly. First things first, go ahead and lay our the plans on your building table (picture #1) because this is built on top of the plans just like the last assembly was. After you have the plans down and they are covered for protection we'll want to cut the main structural pieces for the vertical stabilizer. If you follow the sequence of pictures you can see the steps that you take in building this assembly, it's a pretty straight forward build here. As I did on the horizontal stabilizer I'm not going to be gluing any parts down at this time, rather I'll get them all in place and make sure that they all fit properly and then I'll glue everything down. We'll use 5/16"x1/2" balsa, and we'll need to cut the leading edge, the trailing edge, the top piece, and the 2 bottom pieces. Pictures #2 and #3 show laying out the leading edge and trailing edge of the stabilizer. When you cut the leading edge notice that the bottom of this part extends down BELOW the bottom pieces of this part, this is because this will be an alignment tab when you attach this to the fuselage. Go ahead and position the leading and trailing edges on the plans. Next will be the top of the stabilizer (picture #4). Also in picture #4 you'll notice that this is a vertical center piece, this is cut from the 5/16†square balsa. You'll want to put this in place before you do the 2 5/16â€x1/2†bottom pieces, this is because this part extends to the bottom of the stabilizer and is “sandwiched†between the two bottom pieces (pictures #5 and #6). Next we have 3 horizontal braces cut from 5/16†square balsa and them put in place (picture #7, #8, and #9). Finally we have a diagonal brace that is located towards the top of the stabilizer (picture #10). At this point check the fit of all the joints for all the pieces of this stabilizer, making sure that there are good tight joints between all the parts. Once you're satisfied with the fit of everything go ahead and glue all the parts together and let the glue dry (picture #11). In picture #12 you can see the finished stabilizer.

Pictures
1. Place the plans, and plan protector, on the building board.
2. Cut and place the 5/16†x 1/2†leading edge.
3. Cut and place the trailing edge.
4. Place the top of the stabilizer as well as the center post.
5. Place both bottom pieces of the stabilizer.
6. Place both bottom pieces of the stabilizer.
7. Cut and place the horizontal braces.
8. Cut and place the horizontal braces.
9. Cut and place the horizontal braces.
10. Finally cut and place the upper diagonal brace.
11. Check all joints, glue everything together, and set until glue dries.
12. Remove the finished stabilizer from the building board.

Until next time

Ken

Name:	Fc90226.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	383259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86254.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	383260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43104.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	383261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75126.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	383262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89193.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	383263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb43980.jpg
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	383264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gj86019.jpg
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	383265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy84507.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	383266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv34569.jpg
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	383267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf39714.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	383268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq71585.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	383269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jt81409.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	383270  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:16 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

To finish up the construction of the vertical stabilizer we need to mark, cut, and put into place the hinges for the rudder. I'm not going to go into detail here because there are no new steps in completing this. It's done in exactly the same method as the ailerons and the elevator. Mark the hinge locations from the plan on the trailing edge of the stabilizer, mark the center of each slot, cut the slots and drill the hole for each hinge on both the stabilizer and the rudder. As with the ailerons and elevator we DO NOT want to glue the rudder in place yet. One big reason why I will dry assemble these parts and leave them like this is so that I know where all the parts are. You'd be surprised how many times you set something like the rudder down and then lose track of it, and then spent a bunch of time looking for it. Either it's Murphy's Law or I'm test driving a case of Alzheimer's!! Anyway, we now have the vertical stabilizer and rudder finished.

Pictures
1. Mark the locations for the rudder hinges on the trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer.
2. Transfer the marked locations to the rudder
3. Hinges installed and rudder test fit on the stabilizer. The rudder is not glued in place at this time.

Until next time

Ken

Name:	Om32460.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	383283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24797.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	383284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88391.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	383285  
Old 01-08-2006, 08:52 AM
elenasgrumpy

It's not my intenetion to hi-jack Ken's wonderful build thread here, but it is a PIF thread & since edygert mentioned he would be willing to donate the Bridi Aerocruiser .60 kit for another PIF build, I would be willing to pony up with an OS .60 engine to hang off the front of it. Provided we had a deserving home for it. I had planned to use it on the BTE Venture .60. or on an Airboat. But that nevered happened. It is an older engine of my Dad's collection which means it was well taken care of & is still a power-house. I'm sure it would drag that Aerocruiser around with authority! Leaving only a radio system left to accumulate & we'd have another complete plane for PIF, a thread that seems to be fading away a little so I will give it a bump. Bill, & Ken please let us know if there is a deserving family in need of this plane. Both you guys know how to get a hold me. Thanks.

Mark
Old 01-08-2006, 09:31 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Mark,
Heck, don't worry about hijacking the thread. Since you're talking a PIF item you're always welcome to bring it in here. The donation of an engine is a fantastic offer. Bill and I haven't discussed the donated kit yet so I don't know how he wants to proceed on it. We'll probably hang on to it until somebody needs it. If they want to build it then that would be cool, or we could get it built for them also. Let's wait and see what Bill has to say about it after he wakes up this morning.

Ken
Old 01-08-2006, 10:05 AM
elenasgrumpy

No problem Ken, Whatever you guys wanna do is ok with me, just let me know. Thanks.

Mark
Old 01-08-2006, 10:11 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Mark,
Heck, don't worry about hijacking the thread. Since you're talking a PIF item you're always welcome to bring it in here. The donation of an engine is a fantastic offer. Bill and I haven't discussed the donated kit yet so I don't know how he wants to proceed on it. We'll probably hang on to it until somebody needs it. If they want to build it then that would be cool, or we could get it built for them also. Let's wait and see what Bill has to say about it after he wakes up this morning.

Ken
We'll I'm awake but not really all that coherent yet Still need more coffee

Anyway. I would go ahead and post that you have the kit into the PIF thread and wait and see if you get anyone that wants it. Talking to those that express an interest is up to you but if Ken is willing to build the kit for whoever gets it that is fine as long as Ken agrees to it. He's pretty busy

I would do it but I'm in the middle of doing a kit for a class that I teach 3 days a week and have 2 ARF's to finish and between those things and my father I just do not have the time to do another kit

As far as the engine is concerned I would mention in the post you create for PIF that an engine is included with the kit. YOu could even go as far as saying that the engine will be sent once the kit is complete if the person want to build the kit themselves, that way they just do not say they want the kit just to get the engine.

It totally up to you Mark as to how you want to handle it.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:40 AM
elenasgrumpy

Actually Bill it was edygert who mentioned he would be willing to donate the Bridi Aerocruiser .60 kit at which point I said I would be willing to throw in an OS .60 engine to power it with. I did just bump up your PIF thread to see if anyone had radio components they didn't need & asked any family in need to contact you & explain their situation as per PIF guidelines. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds there, I know the situation with your Dad & how busy both you & Ken are right now. I'm not looking to just give away this engine either, but if it's for deserving family, then I would more than happy to donate it to a good cause. Let's just see how it plays out & if anyone with a real need contacts you. You know how to reach me. Hope you're starting to feel a little better!

Mark
Old 01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
edygert

I am going to start a new thread call "Pay It Forward Aircruiser 60 Build" to continue on with this. What I want to propose is that I bump the Venture 60 and build the Aircruiser myself. Now I am not that experienced in building but I believe that if I put the build online and enlist everyone's help the kit can be completed successfully. I looked at the plans and the instructions and it seems doable to me. I also think the things I would learn from building this kit would help tremendously in building other kits. It will take several months to complete since I am not a fast builder but that gives us plenty of time to find a deserving home. Mark, that is fantastic that you have an engine to donate! See you in the other thread!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 PM
edygert

The new thread is at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3747770

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.