Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

New to RC boats

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:13 PM
jnleo19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC boats

Hi,
I need some help. I have never built an RC boat before and am not sure of how to set up the electronics and motors. I have a 1/150 scale titanic that I have finished. It has three motors, one for each propeller. and one servo for the rudder. I have the radio. I am not sure what type of ESC to buy in order to power all three motors together, or how to wire the motors together? I understand how to hook up the servo for the rudder. What type of batteries would I need for this setup? The only info I have from the motors is a number which is 540 written on the side of each one.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: New to RC boats

How big is a 1/150 Titanic? About 3 feet or so? Did you use plans or a kit. And where can i get one at. Wonders if it would sink like the real one. lol Now as for the motors go. You can buy an ESC that has two connection for two motor and are hook up to two 6 cell battery packs. Which are about 7.2 volts. And have the middle motor as a dummy. But get back to me where i can get one for myself. It be my next project. Am working on the U.S.S. Missouri which is about 55 1/2" long with a beam of 6". And am running it on a 12 volt battery. yes they make them that small. With a single motor which should ran most of a day.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
jnleo19

This titanic is 6 feet long. It weighs about 58 pounds with the proper amount of ballast. So I think it is going to need all three motors to run well, especially since the middle propeller is directly in front of the rudder, which is fairly small for the overall size of the boat. I got this kit as a gift from my grandfather. I will check but I think he got it from somewhere in Germany.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Deathwish

OK thanks i got my scales backwards lol. Am working on the U.S.S. Missouri which is 1/192 scale and it's about 6' almost. It's 55 1/2" long. Send me a link if you do find it. And i hope it dont sink like the real one did.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Deathwish

Almost forgot. You want to use a 4-6 channel radio to control it. Two channels for forward and reverse (including all 3 motors). Two on one channel and one on the other then use the 4th channel for the rudder. Am using a 6 channel radio (1-rudder, 2-speed control, 3-5 turret's, and the 6-water pump to squit people through a hose set up in the 1st turret) . They wont know what happen lol.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
ZCOPTER

I AGREE LEAVE THE MIDDLE ONE AS A DUMMY THE REAL SHIP DIDN'T TURN SO WELL! DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS YOU CON SHARE BEFORE IT SINKS!!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Diesel_Fuel_Only

Yeah man I wanna see this thing.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 PM
bobbyz1

I am new to rc boats and have a question. how can you tell the diameter of a prop?

A prather Bronze 2.61x4.0 mean it is 4 inches in diameter?

Bobby
Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 PM
CadillacDTS2001

you could measure it ! lol
you might want the boat section of RCU
but i think the 2.61 is the diameter , and the 4 is the pitch !
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want this moved to the scale boat forum, say the word.
Part of the problem with the real one was that its rudder was too small otherwise it might have had a better chance against the iceberg, the designers knew of this flaw.