Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer 1/4 Scale BD-5 and Misc. Info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Palmer 1/4 Scale BD-5 and Misc. Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Palmer 1/4 Scale BD-5 and Misc. Info

Hopefully if all goes well, this weekend will be the test flight. I did some taxi tests so far at our airstrip and just need to adjust the steering which won't take long...I've just been to busy lately to do it!
Myles
Old 05-18-2006, 07:40 AM
slojo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear the maiden flight is almost here. Any pictures yet? Please keep us posted.

Joe
Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Jetset

Here's a pic i took last week. I cheated a bit when building to save time (to lazy to do more sanding!) and I didn't add the stab inner leading edges or the aileron tips. Same goes for the intakes. having them in the scale position wasn't really practical due to engine position so I made smaller rounded ones up further.
Some paint peeled when I removed some masking tape but that doesn't bother me right now. i just want to get it in the air!
Myles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65464.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	463399  
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 PM
slojo

Myles, thanks for posting the picture. That is one sweet looking BD-5J. It is going to look great in the air. Boy does that cockpit look busy. It does not look like much intake air available. I am unfamiliar with turbine air requirements. I know this was a problem with ducted fans. Byron used cheaters to get enough. An EDF iwould be almost impossible without some serious cheating on the intake and exhaust. Good luck on your test flight.

Joe
Old 06-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Scott J

Deleted post
Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Jetset

Hey guys, sorry for the delay but the BD5-J has hit the skies. Two flights so far, then my ECU burnt out onm e which is a bummer. This little beastie flies and looks real cool in the air.
Check this link out:
http://rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=24448
The intakes and the nose gear opening both provide lots of air for the turbine.
What a great flying jet!
Myles
Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Scott J

Gorgeous plane, hope you have her back up soon.

Scott
Old 07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
kiwiace

Default RE: Palmer 1/4 Scale BD-5

Hi, could you let me know how I can get my hands on the 1/4 scale BD5 plans? Oh and if someone will post them to me in NEW ZEALAND! signed KIWIACE
Old 07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
fliir

Kiwi, click here:

[link=http://www.palmerplans.com/products/bd5d.html]Palmer DB-5[/link]
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 AM
slojo

Hey guys, sorry for the delay but the BD5-J has hit the skies. Two flights so far, then my ECU burnt out onm e which is a bummer. This little beastie flies and looks real cool in the air.
Hi Myles,

Great to hear you got the maiden flight in and it went well. I wish I could have been there. It must have been quite a sight. To bad about the ECU Burn out. Hope you have may more successful flights.

Joe
Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
brettwegner

G'day . I was just wondering if anybody has built th prop driven version of the BD-5 (Palmer Plans) I have ordered my plan and i am looking forward to building this one !
Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 AM
slojo

Hi brettwegner,

Welcome to the thread. I have not ever seen or heard of a completed BD-5 built from Palmer Plans. In fact I question whether there ever was a prototype even built. I have heard of people starting to build one from the plans, but never a follow-up of the completed plane. The BD-5's from other kits, plans, etc. all fly great as models that I know of, so please keep us informed of your build. I’m sure it will be a great flyer when completed. My only advice would to use electric power. It is much easier to run a straight drive shaft back to the prop than the glo engine bet drive setup. I believe this is the part that hinders completions.
sfsjkid (Frank) started this thread and I have not seen an update in a while. Maybe he will check in and give us one. I have jumped on the EDF bandwagon and am working on some BD-10J’s, but I have the Palmer plans and plan to someday build one. Good Luck!!!

Joe
www.scalebd.com
Old 01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
sfsjkid

Hey Joe,

You know what they say about no news... Well, the only "progess" I've made is to buy a lathe to possibly use to make the driveline pieces. Currently playing with my new toy to make the instrument panel. Only other thing I can add is that I haven't given up yet.

Take care,

Frank (the slow one!)
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
brettwegner

Thanks for the replies . its good to see there is still some interest in this thread. I did look at going down the Electric path but the cost of the Li-Poly battieries and the total weight gain put me off. I have to admit i am quite looking forward to the challange of making the shaft and gettig it to stay in one pice . I think this will be the first part i will start on and make a mock up fuse so i can bench run it, I do intend to modify the shaft design quite a lot . e.g i will use a prefab flexible coupling and an alloy shaft in an atempt to keep it as simple as possible.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
sfsjkid

So I got the builiding bug again and have been re-re-re-studying the plans. I've gotten my money's worth in entertainment, but obviously that's not the purpose of this exercise I should add again that I am finiky, going from one project to another while this will get built, I am also working on about 15 other hobby related projects. Lets see I got these plans back in 2003...

Slojo, I'm beginning to think that like you now, in that this particular design has not been flown, though there seems to have been a 1/4 scale fiberglass one that Jim Bede used for demo purposes. The reason being the wing mounting setup is unlike anything I've seen, and not very confidence inspiring. While I have make a whole lot of progress other than making ribs, I'd like someone elses opinion on the design. So, if you guys could wipe off the dust off of your plans and help it would be appreciated!

For those of you without the plans, here's what it looks like. The wings are designed to plug into the fuselage, not really needed size wise, but is true to scale. The root ribs are plywood, the root sheeting 1/32 ply laminated with 1/32 balsa. Now this is the point of concern, the wing tube is 1/4" steel, with brass sleeves, but the installation point is 1/2" from the leading edge, length is about 5.5" into the root, span of one section of wing is 28", model is supposed to be roughly 8lbs. The tube is glued into the ribs, nothing else. Every other design seems to build this into the spar, filling in any open spaces with scrap. What do you guys think (assuming this decription is clear)?

Thanks

BTW I did find the exact same retracts as used by Palmer in the corner of my LHS, yes, old Goldberg ones. Never used them before but seem strong enough, even if I don't did get a good deal on them.
BTW2 Don't remember if I mentioned this before but I did get a Cermark electric ARF that I've been playing with. Figured it would be a good BD5 trainer. Does fly pretty good. In the air with speed the high thrust line does change trim somewhat. The danger zone are landings. I made one particularly bouncing one, and though I knew I shouldn't, goosed the throttle to gain a little more speed to flare properly, but planted the plane on the ground. Just couldn't compensate with the elevator enough. Just needs a new prop though.
BTW3 In case you haven't seen this, a guy in Taiwan is going to sell another jet version.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...tm.htm#5368422
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
sfsjkid

I need an old K&B part that even MECCOA doesn't make anymore. Its the prop drive hub #7775 for the old 8011 version of the K&B .40 motor. This is needed for the prop end of the BD. I do have the ability to make it now, but would rather purchase than to worry about material selection. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo41212.pdf (123.2 KB, 217 views)
Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 AM
sfsjkid

I contacted MECCOA and they had the part, just was not listed on their website. Interesting how K&B did things back then, prop drive hub was held on with a set screw on the crankshaft, then the "axle" threaded onto the hub and held with a rolled pin. Will post pictures when I get it. Will make the shaft build a little easier.

In the meantime, here's another BD-5 in Japan, powered by a 25cc gas motor. Didn't say whether it was a kit or not.

http://www.kamisumokei.com/factory.html
Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 AM
slojo

sfsjkid,

Well it is nice to see the BD-5 Bug has revived itself in you.

So, you’re going to go with the Glo engine Drive shaft. I have switch over to almost all-electric power recently and plan on it to power my Future planes. I would like to see the Glo version finally done by someone.

The Goldberg retract are really some of the toughest ever made, I used them in two pattern aircraft that saw a lot of use over the years and never had a failure of the gear. I wonder about the nylon's integrity after all these years.

A 1/4 scale model of the BD-5D from Jim Bede was used for the development of Palmer's BD-5D drawings. I know that Jim used local modelers to build and fly R/C BD-5 models to do design test rather than risk the full size BD-5's.

The D model was to be a production aircraft and quite number were actually order, but the company went under before any were actually produced other than the demo.

To my knowledge these are the versions produced by Bede aircraft:
BD-5 Micro - First prototype with V tail
BD-5A - Short wing pusher
BD-5B - Long wing Pusher
U.S.A.F. BD-5 - BD-5 version built for study by the U.S.A.F. for a Low cost jet trainer and drone aircraft.
BD-5D - Production BD-5B
BD-5S - Sailplane
BD-5J - Jet
BD-5T - Trainer Simulator mounted on a truck

There are more versions produced by others that were mostly power plant variations and modifications.

The reason for the BEDE Aircraft company's failure was that Jim was not able to find a suitable engine for the aircraft as designed. This is still a problem today. Had a suitable engine been developed, the history of the BD-5 might be completely different.

As far as the wing mounting on the Palmer model, I have not looked at the plans, but my guess is Palmer located it in the scale location while using conventional model wing design. The real BD-5 uses a full length Main tubular spar that also is part of the removable wing setup. My plans are in storage at the moment so I cannot be sure. It sounds like a modification might be a good idea.

As mention in an earlier post, I am working on the BD-10J. I hope to have one done this year.

Joe
Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM
sfsjkid

Hey Joe to see you still around. Remember though, the bug may be the 24hr kind

Thanks for the additional info. The retracts do still look ok but I'll try to give it a good test before I decide to use them. Good point about the nylon. Yup, the wing mount is going to get a second tube near the trailing edge. Would like to use a thicker one in the center but don't think that is possible with retracts.

I really did give electric a chance. I had a couple of motors picked out, one might have fit in the tail cone just barely. While I was mulling that out started looking for shaft couplers, but couldn't find anything rated beyond 3000rpm. I was also trying to figure where best to put a lipo pack and vents for cooling, while still allowing for full cockpit detail. Then I realized that I don't have anything that will go beyond 4s, and well, there were too many questions to answer. Mind you, I'm not saying its impossible, just where I left off, before looking at the plans further.

The shaft drive in the plans started looking relatively simple once I realized how the K&B prop hub worked. Hearing that the fiberglass version(?) has flown more than described, I might just follow the plans setup between the engine and shaft. I didn't trust it, but have yet to find a suitable coupler in terms of rpm, flex and alignment. As I mentioned earlier, since I did buy a small lathe, right now my main concern on the shaft is my aircraft mechanic friend coming through with the weld job.

I've been looking at your BD10 thread from time to time, can't wait until you get it flying (or at least some pics, hint, hint)

See ya!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 AM
sfsjkid

For whatever its worth, here is still another BD-5 electric. This one was published in the Japanese R/C Technic magazine.

Lenght 46ï¼ï½ï½ã€€ã€€
Wingspan  67ï¼ï½ï½
Weight    22ï¼ï½‡
Battery  8.4V225ï½ï¼¡

See http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~masahy/bd5.htm for more pictures.

Name:	Yw68920.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	648594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71541.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	648595  
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 AM
sfsjkid

Pics of the front strut.

Name:	Li20852.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	650355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47375.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	650356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76070.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	650357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33833.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	650358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43203.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	650359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of58965.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	650360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25726.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	650361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf17936.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	650362  

Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 AM
sfsjkid

Well, here is the K&B .40 prop drive hub I mentioned in an earlier post (no I didn't lop one off with my hacksaw). I'll do the shaft that goes to this first, but still need to find a cheap source of 12L14 steel, and also need to let my credit card cool off!

Name:	Pn36252.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	655125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25389.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	655126  
Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 AM
McLeodAviation
My Feedback: (70)

Nice pictures of the full scale strut. Where did you find the pictures or does the strut belong to you? Maybe a full scale BD-5 project on the horizon?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 AM
sfsjkid

Nice assupmtion, and I wish I could say yes and that is the reason the 1/4 scale one is taking so much time and I'm running out of hanger space, etc.. I should have mentioned this originally but believe it or not I found the pictures on ebay.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 AM
slojo

Hi all,

I ran across a company called Kit Cutters Inc. while updating my [link=http://www.scalebd.com]ScaleBD.com[/link] web site. BTW, the Scale BD Modelers Forum is now open - check it out. Kit Cutters Inc. makes up kits of many well known model designers including Dan Palmer. They offer the Palmer's BD-5D in full or partial kit form. You can check it out at [link=http://www.kitcutters.com/Pal/PalBD5.htm]Kit Cutters' BD-5D[/link].

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.