Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optic 6 case handle

Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Bone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optic 6 case handle

Yesterday when at the field, I lifted my Optic 6 Tx by the metal handle & the plastic lugs on one end snapped off, the metal handle parting company with the Tx. Fortunately, the Tx only fell about 2 inches onto the grass so no extra damage was done.

Looking at the lug on the other side, I observed that it too was cracking badly & ready to snap. Gotta say, I'm really disappointed as I am VERY gentle on my equipment. There is no doubt that the design of the plastic section is, at best, extremely flimsy []

I note that there are similar posts to mine.

I live in Australia - where can I obtain a new replacment back cover?

NB: edited for spelling mistake
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Optic 6 case handle

G'day Bones
I just PM'd you with the HiTec repairer that did that work for me.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
XJet
Banned

Nope, can't happen -- you're making it up.

Hitec says the cases aren't badly designed and they've never heard of that happening before (see my post to the other thread before it's nuked by the moderator).
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Bone

Both responses appreciated. Now, I love my Optic 6 - I really do - BUT the attachment point is badly designed & the thickness of the plastic is too thin - no degree of "moderating" the facts will alter the truth.

AussieSteve - thanks for the PM - will follow it up.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:18 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

G'day Bones
I just PM'd you with the HiTec repairer that did that work for me.

Mine just broke off as well [:@]. One of the sides started cracking off earlier this year and I was able to just CA the plastic back up until a few days ago when I grabbed it off the ground and both ends let go and the little handle bar went flying. Luckily I was over gras so the controller was okay.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the same i used epoxy to fix it I think that did the trick.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:10 AM
aussiesteve

I replaced all our Optic 6's (and an Eclipse 7 which also has a design flaw giving it a weak handle mount) with another brand - That certainly did the trick
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Mine has the same problem. Initially i thaught it was me and sent it back under warranty. When i got it back it broke 2 weeks latter. For the longest time I used different glues but it didn't work. Finally, i used electrical tape and tightly rapped around the entire area. With a little work you can make it look nice and clean and it is very stong. Has held up to date
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM
aussiesteve

Interesting that X-Jet and I (and who knows who else) have had some posts "Moderated" off this thread.(As X-jet predicted would happen in one of his posts)

Maybe it's time that HiTec admit that they have a serious design flaw with the Optic 6 cases and do something about it. I wonder how many of these have been dropped, used again, planes lost and people put at risk. I know that if I ever get involved in another investigation where people have been injured, the first thing I will ask is what radio was used and what its history is - If it is one of these units, the suspicion level will definitely be very high. (I am professional enough to do proper root cause analysis in such an investigation and not go on the first suspicion)

It's a shame really, Electronically, they are a good radio. either a simple modification to the core insert for the mould or a change in the material used will solve this whole handle breakage problem but it seems it must be just too hard to do. Nearly every field that I have visited which has more than one of these units has either a unit with a broken handle or an owner that has had the case replaced.

This Is a Real issue with these Radios and it needs to be addressed.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Please note the guidlines for this forum before posting please: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2603615/tm.htm

The purpose of this forum is to ask questions reguarding Hitec/Multiplex products that will be anwered by one of our customer service reps; please don't give your "two cents." If you feel you want to take an issue further then by all means do so in the open radio forum. All erronious comments here may be deleated.... Don't take it personally, we care what you have to say but please do it in the proper way and/or forum. Note that we read almost every post concering Hitec throughout this site.

Mike.