Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

OS .46vx-df

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OS .46vx-df

Has anyone mounted up a prop to this engine?
I've seen the .91Df engine makes a great prop engine with a 11x10 and was wondering is anyone has any data on this engine?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .46vx-df

You need a good pipe and header. Mac’s pipes and headers are what I use. The #1050 Quiet pipe, #1250 Muffled and the 1150 tuned (noisy) I have all tried and all work well!
To my biggest surprise the quiet pipe rendered the most speed, at least measured on the ground. The best average pipe setting was 9 ½†from center of piston to the large diameter on the pipe. Cutting this ¼†shorter may let the engine stage even higher in the air at the cost of smooth transition, so try this later on if you dare.
The highest speed measured was 24,500 RPM (on ground) spinning a APC carbon (LP 74825C) 7.4X 8.25 on Power Master 30%Heli fuel. OS #8 plug. I tried 15% and RPM dropped to 23K and I tried Wild cat 45% and it dropped to 23K, I think the compression is too high for it. Run with 15% or 30% nitro, it’s plenty fast. An APC 7.8X7 carbon should turn 23,900 with the same set up.

With the header/pipe set longer it should turn a pylon 8.75x9.5NN or 8.8x9.25 at 20,000RPM. Don't use a prop with less load or sport prop, IT WILL THROW A BLADE! Stay inside rpm limits and always keep anything you care about out of the prop arc. Ream out the prop to fit the short shaft addapter (Tru Turn part number TT-0141-A) that you will need for all the props.

You have three header choices’, strait, 15* and fuse top.
The fuse top could help clear the fuel tank however the header length is so short that you need to cut both header and pipe. I made two small aluminum blocks that allow me to rotate the carb so the needle can clear the mounting rails with out too much cutting. A good Idea is to buid a test stand for break-in and testing. Note center of fuel tank is centered with carb. Don't run it too rich at break-in, just wastes fuel and could hurt the con rod. Engines need some heat to seat.
I start with Power master Heli 15% /20, I like the extra oil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40423.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	841484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64123.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	841485  
Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 PM
RocketRob

A lot of information here to absorb - Thank you!

appreciate the prop warnings[8D]

sounds like you enjoy the engine
What airframes have you used?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
freakingfast

Mainly on clipped wing Diamond Dusts. Going to stuff one on a Quickie in the future.
Notice the caffeine supply in the background of the first picture. Caffeine & Nitro....it's what I run on.

Name:	Ay73725.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	841820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23453.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	841821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84410.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	841822  
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
RocketRob

I would think flying that plane - you would not need cafine
Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 PM
claytucker

freaking fast
it looks nice, should be an ideal engine for the phenom...
read a bit, looking to build hot delta. Comparing jett to 46vx df what do you think would be the better engine choice for speed, easy of install and speed
I am afraid of the diamond dust balsa not lasting

my little pylon coroplast shark takes hard belly landings from time to time. Can not imagine a plane lasting long out of balsa and ultracoat. what do you think about the phenom
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM
freakingfast

The Phenom is a bit heavy, and the OS 46 VX DF won’t help, but it would be very quick.
I think the best engine for it would be a Jett 60 LX F.I.R.E. spinning a APC 9X10 (after break-in and pipe re-tune). This 60 is lighter than most 46 class engine. With a five cell 2/3 A battery, HS-5955TG servos and engine the Phenom will be about 5lbs.
It will not fly out, but you must launch it almost strait up like I do with my clipped wing diamond dust when there’s no wind. Here’s what can happen if your launch angle is too low and the right wing tip is too low and there’s no wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53Q6EeMR6Q

More info on the OS 46 DF:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76...tm.htm#7645422

I have three wire skids on my Diamond Dusts because I must land on asphalt. The one pictured is the clipped wing/DF engine and I now use only APC 7.4X8.25 carbon props, not the pylon type pictured and it's faster than seen in the video. It now has about 70 flights on it.

Name:	Mk25961.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	997142  
Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, not only do you have exceptional reflexes, you must have near perfect vision to fly that plane. I just went to the optometrist this week because I was having difficulty with the orientation of a Sig Senorita. I'm in that mid to late forties age range where your vision suddenly deteriorates. With my current vision there's no way I could tell what your DD was doing. Thanks for the video.

David
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 PM
freakingfast

Your welcome David

Yes good vision is a must for high speed small planes. I needed glasses at 43 to fly but I can still see well enough to pass the eye test at the DVM without them and now I'm 50.
I give myself every edge I can as you may have noticed the contrasting top & bottom on the delta. My prescription glasses are polarized, anti-glare coated, brownish tint with large lenses and I always use a baseball cap with the bottom side of the visor black. I stay well away from the sun, never fly through it. I don't fly if its overcast, some high clouds are ok. I don't fly after one hour till sunset as I'm convinced that the warmer colored sky makes it harder to maintain orientation. The smoke from all the fires here in CA has made orientation more difficult too. If I'm not feeling 100% I don't fly my fast stuff.

Karl
Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Karl. BTW, your delta looks awesome. Your pipe setup is very clean. The glasses you described are pretty much exactly what I ordered, polarized w/brown tint and anti-glare coating. I'm really hoping they will help me keep track of my planes. I fly a lot of 1/2A stuff which gets small really fast if you don't keep it in close. Lately, I've been flying early in the mornings (around 8 to 10) and the low angle of the sun combined with the dew evaporating off the field can make it pretty hazy.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. back to the .46...

David
Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
claytucker

that is the best video I've ever seen! it looks like it goes a zillion mh : 0

how fast do you thinK?

I've heard about the 60 lx Jett fire being a good engine and a bit lighter but there is no way it has the power of the 46 vx on the DD...

was the launch so bad because of throwing it almost vertical...

that take off looked really bad, I experienced somthing similar with my shark delta, I could not fly it with a larger engine.

not sure what to build. I love fast deltas. My current plane is the pylon coroplast shark with over 100 flights. It's weight is under 3 lbs and with heli 30% nitro I am running at 19,800 rpms on the ground. It is really fast, Gagnon had clocked his at 115 mph level w/ same engine on 15% nitro at 19k rpms. We run OS 25fx.

Balsa always seems to fall apart (because of my ruff landings) but maybe I'll place carbon cloth balsa skin on DD delta, placed order.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 AM
freakingfast

Right now it's between 175 and 180mph, faster and higher piched sound than the 160mph or so video. I need to get a new video of it before I kill it. The launch in the vid was not vertical enough, no wind= let it hang on the prop, not the wings till its up to speed.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 AM
RocketRob

Have you pinned down your prop?
I know you have been doing extensive testing.[8D]

I really need to finish my Miss Ashley. I've been flying/repairing the fleet and not getting around to this one.[:-]
Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM
freakingfast

Yup, the APC 7.4X8.25 carbon....Perfect! It's fast and it stays in one piece. The K&B HP glow plug are a godsend.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:42 AM
claytucker

I got lucky and just purchased a new (in the box) whiplash on ebay.

what about the Jett Q40??? it is fast and runs a bigger prop then the 46vx maybe easier to laucnch. I heard first hand from a guy that used a Jett 60 fire at a weight of 12 w/o exuhaust and SWITCHED to a Jett quickie 40 and said it turned a fast plane into a rocket and at a weight of 15.5 w/ pipe and spinner only 2 onces heavier then the 50 or 60lx should be ok for launch?/

the quickies runa 8.7 prop much bigger then vx...

I am use to wings and deltas with hundreds of flights. Have a plane that hits 110 mph and am bored, why just move up a bit faster. But can't afford something so hard to launch as yours. What do you think???
Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 AM
freakingfast

Clay
This is what will happen if you try to run a non carbon APC quickie prop on the OS 46 VX DF.
One of those de-tipped props is a 8.8X9.75, the biggest pylon prop APC makes.
The 7.4X8.25 carbon prop that I now run is the biggest CARBON quickie APC makes.
The Jett Q40 and Q40L (new) should be using a carbon, probably with less pitch to get it in to even higher rpms.
Throttle carbs mods on Q40's tend to slow them a bit, then it may be OK to use no-carbon on them.

Congrats on the Whiplash! Tuff little plane. I don't think I would use the VX or the Q40 for it.
I think the guy was using the wrong prop/pipe on the Jett. A YS 45 RE & 9X9 is a good choice too.

Name:	Sq47353.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1005442