Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My 1st Belt Driven Tamiya - Durga DB-01

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
rymansl2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 1st Belt Driven Tamiya - Durga DB-01

ORIGINAL: the evader crusader

Yeah really if brushless gets any more powerfull it will require more maint. than nitro. LOL
I hate to see the day [:'(]
Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
gman1

Do you know for sure that a melted Diff on this particular buggy is normal? I run the 6900 in mine and i have had no troubles yet. Do you own this buggy?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
nauticar

ORIGINAL: gman1

Hey Nauticar, how often do you drive your vehicle? It seems to me that you drive it very often with all that wear and tear that you mention. Oh yeah and another thing: People who come to this thread and see your diff all melted down are being given a bad impression on the vehicle. I think you should take those down since your occurence is quite rear.
I try to drive it almost every weekend if i have the time......i have to juggle my rc playing time ... its the durga and DI on one weekend...and the nitrage the next hehe lol.

i think people see the pics of my melted diff and i strongly do not believe that it will have a negative impression on would be durga owners - the only bad impression they will have is of ME not the car lol. the circumstances of the melted diffs were a combination of full throttling, sliding, brushless, lipo and a whole lot of bad driving, and if anything, the ultimate purpose of those pics are to remind people to check their diffs regularly, especially with a high powered setup, and regardless of what kit they own. youre right, the occurance is quite rare, i am perhaps THE ONLY Durga owner in the world to have had this bad luck (going by most durga forums i have read so far in my limited time, that is).
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
simalive

Hi nauticar, thanks for your detailed pics and posts. I've been building my Durga for the first time (1st time building any 1/10 scale for that matter) and this thread is really helpful. Cheers.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
nauticar

ORIGINAL: simalive

Hi nauticar, thanks for your detailed pics and posts. I've been building my Durga for the first time (1st time building any 1/10 scale for that matter) and this thread is really helpful. Cheers.
hey simalive, thanks for looking at my thread! glad it was of some help. go easy on your build, and feel free to post pics here (of the build that is lol)!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
nauticar

Spares you should consider:

Tamiya Fluorine Coated Suspension Ball (8 Pcs) #53709

I really like the suspension design of the DB01.... the suspension balls are not rigidly in place. This means that in the case of an impact, they will pop out of place....thereby preventing the suspension arms from absorbing the full impact (and breaking in the process). Almost all my rear end collisions resulted in the suspension arms popping out.

Now the balls are small, black and they are EASY to lose. Fortunately I put quite a lot of AW grease over the suspension balls....so when the suspension arms popped out, the stickiness of the AW grease kinda held them where they were. There are two plastic spacers at each arm but spacers can be found in most parts bin.

Lose these suspension balls and you wont be able to run your DB01 properly. My suspension balls are a little squashed out of shape already-and I have a packet of #53709 on order as I type.

Nauticar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39008.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	919877  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 AM
nauticar

I think Maxamp lipos have the nicest design. The 6000HV fits snugly, but I'm using the TA05 battery posts and I had to make some modifications - I had to unscrew the front post to make it sit higher, and lock it with another nut at the base to stabilize the post (since unscrewing the post will unseat it further from the mounting hole). I had no problems with the rear post though.

My runtimes now are limited not by how much amps the pack has, but how hot my motor gets. Usually 10 - 13 minutes of me playing is all it takes to hit 100degC @ the motor!

Name:	Ge94879.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	919884  
Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I dont know how you do it, I havent broken a thing on my Durga and Ive had it for over a month now............BUT if I take it out the box and build it maybe I can have some fun too
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
simalive

ORIGINAL: nauticar
hey simalive, thanks for looking at my thread! glad it was of some help. go easy on your build, and feel free to post pics here (of the build that is lol)!
Here're some pics of my build. I thought I was done last week and gave it a little test (on my kitchen floor ), but the car doesn't accelerate quite the way I'd imagine. Found out that I didn't tighten the ball diffs enough and were slipping (rookie mistake I guess). Took covers apart and rebuild the diffs. Tested it again yesterday....and scared the crap out of me... the car shoots off and nearly create a hole or two on my wall..hahaa. Really looking forward to bring it outside and test once the weather's good! Building this thing has been so much fun.

Name:	Yv65829.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	919913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47597.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	919914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76292.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	919915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46214.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	919916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37290.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	919917  
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 AM
nauticar

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

I dont know how you do it, I havent broken a thing on my Durga and Ive had it for over a month now............BUT if I take it out the box and build it maybe I can have some fun too
LOL quit kidding around and start building it already! almost got me there haha
Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
rymansl2

Here're some pics of my build. I thought I was done last week and gave it a little test (on my kitchen floor ), but the car doesn't accelerate quite the way I'd imagine. Found out that I didn't tighten the ball diffs enough and were slipping (rookie mistake I guess). Took covers apart and rebuild the diffs. Tested it again yesterday....and scared the crap out of me... the car shoots off and nearly create a hole or two on my wall..hahaa. Really looking forward to bring it outside and test once the weather's good! Building this thing has been so much fun.

I like that blue

I made the same mistake with my build. You can actually tighten the diffs without taking the entire assembly apart. Just take out the drive shaft on the right side of the diff and you can stick an allen wrench in there and tighten it.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
nauticar

well here's something new! a cool blue durga, NICE! cant help feeling a sense of deja vu though, about a couple of weeks ago i think a dude in the DI thread painted his new DI a cool blue like yours. nice.

the durga is scary yeah, for me it's really quiet.... you wont expect something that quiet to zip around real fast. glad you enjoyed building the kit! i learned a thing or two when i did mine!

keep the pics coming!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
nauticar

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

I made the same mistake with my build. You can actually tighten the diffs without taking the entire assembly apart. Just take out the drive shaft on the right side of the diff and you can stick an allen wrench in there and tighten it.
OMG why didnt i think of that......! all this while ive been unscrewing + screwing back those screws.....[&:]
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Echelon

ORIGINAL: nauticar

OMG why didnt i think of that......! all this while ive been unscrewing + screwing back those screws.....[&:]
hahaha Me 2! Thought my arm was falling of.. So many screws to unscrew!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM
simalive

I like that blue

Thanks for the great Tip!! Really quite obvious and make sense now that you pointed it out, hahaa. Thanks.

Did any of you have issues with the mounting of the front wheels? The hex recess of the wheels seem very tight fit when putting onto the hex hub - I always seem to second guess whether the wheel has completely pushed tight into the slot or not. (I ended up sanded the edges of the hex hub a little bit, and test fitted it on the wheel recess a few times before actually mounting them.)
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
rymansl2

Thanks for the great Tip!! Really quite obvious and make sense now that you pointed it out, hahaa. Thanks.

Did any of you have issues with the mounting of the front wheels? The hex recess of the wheels seem very tight fit when putting onto the hex hub - I always seem to second guess whether the wheel has completely pushed tight into the slot or not. (I ended up sanded the edges of the hex hub a little bit, and test fitted it on the wheel recess a few times before actually mounting them.)
No problem I thought i'd save you guys the hassle of having to unscrew all that stuff.

Yea I hate those hex hubs. The first time I put on one of the front wheels it wasn't aligned right and I tightened it down without realizing it. It screwed up the inside of the wheel and it would wobble when it drove. Had to chizzle it back into shape.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
nauticar

Yea I hate those hex hubs. The first time I put on one of the front wheels it wasn't aligned right and I tightened it down without realizing it. It screwed up the inside of the wheel and it would wobble when it drove. Had to chizzle it back into shape.
did you chisel the hex hubs or the inner side of the wheel?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
rymansl2

Inside of the wheel. thats what was messed up so I reshaped it.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:36 AM
manos711

Hi there,
Just to make you feel better, I melted mine as well..!!!
I running mamba max 7700, Orion 3300 Ni Cd on my Durga. On my first run and after 2 minutes my pulley melted. I ordered and replaced it with new. I have not hard tried it yet But I am afraid it will happen again. Did anyone came with a solution or I have to return to my previous 14T LRP brushed motor!!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
hindi

You melted the pully? I run the 7700 mm with a 7cell 4200 in my durga, that I finished yesterday and after about 5 packs its perfectly fine. Im kind of scared to run the buggy hard now.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 PM
elemenopee11

my db-01`s the same, massive slippage!
i re-tighten the diffs and it seems that a few seconds of running is loosening them again
should they be tightened as hard as possible?!?
im worried that i might be stripping things inside because of the ammount of slipage
please please please help me!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Mr Mamba

Hello:

I've been reading this thread long time ago and now I decided to buy a Durga

I look on the pdf manual that the kit dont have any servo horn for Hitec servos and I will like to use the HS-6965HB for my new car.

Does anybody use this servos on the Durga? what horn I have to use?

Many thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: manos711

Hi there,
Just to make you feel better, I melted mine as well..!!!
I running mamba max 7700, Orion 3300 Ni Cd on my Durga. On my first run and after 2 minutes my pulley melted. I ordered and replaced it with new. I have not hard tried it yet But I am afraid it will happen again. Did anyone came with a solution or I have to return to my previous 14T LRP brushed motor!!
Are you talking about this piece because the same thing has happened to me i have had nothing but bad luck with the durga.....
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53989
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM
digweed

ORIGINAL: elemenopee11

my db-01`s the same, massive slippage!
i re-tighten the diffs and it seems that a few seconds of running is loosening them again
should they be tightened as hard as possible?!?
im worried that i might be stripping things inside because of the ammount of slipage
please please please help me!
I'm getting the same issue, would be grateful for an expert comment on how to resolve this?

TIA
Old 11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Slipper Clutch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.