Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Here's a couple of illustrations from the out of print book The Great Book of World War II Airplanes. This might help visualize the operation of the tailgear, and also the pull-pull rudder and the lever setup for the elevators.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46993.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	925337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93014.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	925338  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Riddle4U

Nice work Chad and Tom (is Chad also Chile?)! It looks like Chad's finalized tail wheel plans, with hook, are going to comprise several different sources. Were all those arrived at by comparison mainly with pictures of the real thing? I notice that one of Platt's rules is that the worst 3-views often come from the factory. I concur (with his "law"), as I have several portions of Vought drawings also. Thanks on the efforts, I trust it will be an improvement. -Eric

p.s. glad I waited a bit, I look forward to the revised TW plan.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Nice work Chad and Tom (is Chad also Chile?)! It looks like Chad's finalized tail wheel plans, with hook, are going to comprise several different sources. Were all those arrived at by comparison mainly with pictures of the real thing? I notice that one of Platt's rules is that the worst 3-views often come from the factory. I concur (with his "law"), as I have several portions of Vought drawings also. Thanks on the efforts, I trust it will be an improvement. -Eric
I tried to use everything at my disposal including photos and multiple drawings. Once Chad completes the revised drawings, I hope you will each review them as well. Chad and chilie are differnt people. Chilie (Mark) is currently building a 1/8 and just volunteered to help.

I also found a bit more interesting information on my subject aircraft, Trip7, in the books that arrived yesterday. There's some confusion about who really crashed the airplane. Both pilots in question had at least one rollover during Dec. '43 so I can see how it would get mixed up. I updated [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7335778]my intro[/link] based on the new findings. Really interesting to sort out all of the details.

Tom
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
rwright142

Nice work Chad and Tom
I agree. Unfortunately for me that means I have to get another tailwheel! hahaha Oh well...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: saramos

Here's a couple of illustrations from the out of print book The Great Book of World War II Airplanes. This might help visualize the operation of the tailgear, and also the pull-pull rudder and the lever setup for the elevators.

Thanks saramos, I have this book tucked away somewhere but had not thought to drag it out.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Riddle4U

Tom, thanks for clarifying. I had heard of "Chile" bandied about for some time, but I never had any idea. I guess I should thank him for something probably, just not familiar with him on the thread. I hope everyone serious on this thread will PM or e-mail Richard details about contact info. e.t.c. (as stated previously, voluntary). Thanks, Tom for sharing details about your version. I think many of us are going to find some personal motivation in our projects. I will edit an earlier post to reflect salient points on my #576 plane that Lt. Olander flew at one time or another (Dinged it beyond flyability on landing..hope it ain't a bad omen, ha ha).

On a more project oriented note: Chad, I was thinking it would be nice to cut down on the wood blockage at the front of the elevator and rudder, and use something like 1/64th skinning ply instead of the thick balsa at the plate. I think it would cut nicely on the laser, probably be lighter, and you mentioned cutting thick balsa on the laser already (pushing the limit). I love what you have done with the large, well designed, cutouts on the base ply profile pieces. I thought to extend your thinking on that and cut out those peices that are at the leading edge (thick balsa now), out of the thin ply and cut plates out of harder balsa with a profile reflecting the shape 90 degrees from that plane. I am talking about the complex in and out diagonal design that looks to be cut out of a chunk of wood now. It is hard to communicate this in writing..I hope I made some sense. Let me know Chad, or anyone, if you have a thought on that. Refinement ought to be the goal here, and so far I am very impressed with everyones ideas! Respect and admiration to all involved here earnestly, Eric

p.s. Chad, sign those drawings! I used to ink on mylar (architecturaly) in High School. Remember the documentation block..ha ha? Be proud of your work (not that you aren't).
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Chad Veich

On a more project oriented note: Chad, I was thinking it would be nice to cut down on the wood blockage at the front of the elevator and rudder, and use something like 1/64th skinning ply instead of the thick balsa at the plate. I think it would cut nicely on the laser, probably be lighter, and you mentioned cutting thick balsa on the laser already (pushing the limit). I love what you have done with the large, well designed, cutouts on the base ply profile pieces. I thought to extend your thinking on that and cut out those peices that are at the leading edge (thick balsa now), out of the thin ply and cut plates out of harder balsa with a profile reflecting the shape 90 degrees from that plane. I am talking about the complex in and out diagonal design that looks to be cut out of a chunk of wood now. It is hard to communicate this in writing..I hope I made some sense. Let me know Chad, or anyone, if you have a thought on that. Refinement ought to be the goal here, and so far I am very impressed with everyones ideas! Respect and admiration to all involved here earnestly, Eric

p.s. Chad, sign those drawings! I used to ink on mylar (architecturaly) in High School. Remember the documentation block..ha ha? Be proud of your work (not that you aren't).
I understand what you are saying Riddle and I like the idea. However, the smallest radius (elevator tip) is just a hair over 3/16 inch. That's a bit over 3/8 inches diameter and I'm not sure if it would be possible to roll 1/64 that tight. Maybe some sort of combination of ply skinning for the majority of it with solid balsa only at the leading edge? Hmmm, I think it could work. Let me look at it in depth and see what I can come up with.

PS - Thanks for the reminder to put my name on the titleblock!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Riddle4U

Yes, I think you know what I'm thinking. I wasn't thinking of rolling it around though (leading edge). Stop where you need to shape the leading edge and tips out of shapeable balsa stock (leading edge of elevator and rudder). I was thinking about ripping thin plywood for capstrips also; the capstrips would look to scale per restoration pics I have, and have some tensile strenth value (chord-wise).Your design will save weight, I was just continuing with the great thought!-Eric
Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Chad Veich

Yes, I think you know what I'm thinking. I wasn't thinking of rolling it around though (leading edge). Stop where you need to shape the leading edge and tips out of shapeable balsa stock (leading edge of elevator and rudder). I was thinking about ripping thin plywood for capstrips also; the capstrips would look to scale per restoration pics I have, and have some tensile strenth value (chord-wise).Your design will save weight, I was just continuing with the great thought!-Eric
I've begun to redraw these parts based on your ideas and I can already see it will result in a better and lighter structure. Kind of a duh moment actually as it seems so obvious now that you've pointed it out. A case of doing things the way I've always done them I guess! That's why this is a great thread, two (or more) heads is always better than one.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 AM
SMUGator

I did hear back from Mr. Aune this evening regarding the tailwheel design. It is in fact his original work. He published it some years ago in RC Excellence so it has been available for individual use since that time. He did ask that wherever we use it, that we mention him as the author/designer of the assembly given the number of hours and iterations that went into the project. I'll be giving full credit to Mr. Aune going forward, and am glad to know where this design came from. Chad, please update the CAD drawings to reflect this note as well. Updated 4/09: Someone that is even more obssessed with Corsairs than I am PM'd me this morning and pointed out that [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=627401]Luke credited the Aune design[/link] way back in his early Royal build thread in 2003. I had in the back of my mind that I'd seen it mentioned before, but I don't have that kind of memory. So this is very good. No more worry of lawyers showing up with cease and desist letters and upsetting our little project. I'm grateful for the work Luke did to derive the drawings and make it available for the 1/8. My build is a lot better for having it.

Mr Aune can provide both main gear as well as finished tailwheels for purchase. He also offers a wing folding mechanism for those that may want to stretch their scale projects in that direction. His comments follow along with some photos that he attached.

ORIGINAL: Mr. Earl Aune via e-mail

I can provide both the landing gear and the tailwheel designed for the 82" BT Corsair size plus I offer a wing fold information package that you might be interested in as well. These are detailed and time consuming for me to make so allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. Both are very robust and withstand many a "carrier" type landing and abuse. Mine are still working great after 6 years of use. I ask $475.00 USD for the Landing gear which include the scale strut compression mechanism (the strut compresses upon retraction to allow the wheel to clear the back of the gear bay)

The tailwheel goes for $125 and includes an operating tail hook, functioning shock absorber and can actuate with either air or retract servo (I recommend servo operation to keep air lines all inside the wing).

The wing fold pack which includes plans, photos, diagrams and copies of the actual Chance-Vought drawings go for $35.00

I can accept check, money order, or PayPal (however PayPal charges an additional 4% on the total for their service) plus shipping charges will need to be calculated.

Let me know if you would like to proceed or if you have any additional questions...

Cheers,

Earl
I hate posting e-mail addresses on the forums, so please PM me if you want his contact information.

Tom

Name:	Ge95990.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	925735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82094.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	925736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95282.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	925737  
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 AM
rwright142

How nice that Earl sent you a picture of the landing gear he made for me
It has the Glennis wheel on it. The light brown cord is the "lifting device" that compresses the strut when raised to shorten the overall length so it fits in the wing better.

Considering what I have gone through with the tailwheel I will have to measure the mains to make sure it is scale!

Here's some more pictures.

Name:	Sq46471.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	925786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39456.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	925787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40108.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	925788  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 AM
crashaplane

does anyone know what type of retracts (size) will the fit the cmpro 120 size corsair as i have had some trouble trying to find the correct size and type
thank you and hoping someone will know
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Riddle4U

Crashaplane, see post #1. However since we are all the most helpfull guys since... Check out Robart maybe first, as they are the most prolific, Sierra makes big gears also, there really are a number of options, and sorry to leave them out. PM on these off-build comments I think. Good luck with your plane though (well around the globe)!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Chad Veich

I will definitely be going with the Aune retracts myself. Is there anyone who is not using them? There will be some important decisions to make when we get to the wing concerning the various retract units that may be used.

Tom, I will put Earl's name on the finished drawings for the tailwheel.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Chad
We're hoping to use the Robart 148's.
sam
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

I am definitely going with Earl on the gear......
Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Chad
We're hoping to use the Robart 148's.
sam
I figured at least a few guys would want to go with the Robarts. If we can keep it down to those two options (Aune and Robart) I can probably engineer two different sets of parts and provide the necessary ones depending on what gear is to be used. If somebody decides to go with a third option then they will probably be on their own in that area! I do have access to a set of the 148's so that will not be an issue.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Tripower455

Great idea Chad...... If I can't go for the Aune units for some reason (Scarfology:see Dave Platt's 7th law of scale modeling..... ), I'm gonna go with the Robarts.........
Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Tripower455

btw, I am going to try my hand at vacuforming. I ordered a book that should be at home when I get there.

My only experience is making a plug for a cowling for a small electric (the stock one was way too thin and cracked easily). I cast it with some stuff (like plaster but made for the purpose..... the name escapes me right now, but I have it at home) I got from Tower, and it made a nice plug. A guy in my club made me the cowl and it was perfect.

I am willing to do the R&D on the canopy. My thinking is to use a BT canopy to make a plug, then try modding it to make it more scale. I am also going to try doing a birdcage, as the aircraft I'd like to model is an early -1 (not sure of the specific airplane yet, but I am leaning towards one of the ones with mixed insignia markings to be different).

My plan is to be able to make both.

No promises on how successful I will be, but if it works out, I will be willing to make the parts for you guys on this build gratis as my contribution to the team.......

Also, if it works out, I will be willing to make other parts (nav light lenses etc) if I can obtain or make a plug for them......
Old 04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Tripower455

Oh, and on the subject of books......

Most of us have the usual suspects, but one I have not seen mentioned is Whistling Death by Boone Guyton. He was the primary Vought test pilot for the Corsair during it's service life. Great book, written from a pilot's perspective.

I am not sure if it is still in print. I had a bit of a time finding a copy 7 years ago when I bought mine, but it is well worth the effort.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
crashaplane

chad are you willing to sell and ship those 148s to australia if so i am interested
Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

Most of us have the usual suspects, but one I have not seen mentioned is Whistling Death by Boone Guyton. He was the primary Vought test pilot for the Corsair during it's service life. Great book, written from a pilot's perspective.

I am not sure if it is still in print. I had a bit of a time finding a copy 7 years ago when I bought mine, but it is well worth the effort.
I got a copy of that one last year, I think, so it's still around. Agree that it's a great read. I have as much respect for those early test pilots as I do for the guys that were getting shot at.

Tom
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

I got a copy of that one last year, I think, so it's still around. Agree that it's a great read. I have as much respect for those early test pilots as I do for the guys that were getting shot at.

Tom

No kidding. They didn't have the benefit of CAD designs or full sized wind tunnel testing! A bunch of guys with slide rules came up with what they thought would work, and some guy had to get in the thing and see if it did!

Interesting that Chance Vought was able to convince the navy that their spin recovery requirements were not necessary and to accept the Corsair in spite of it's inability to recover from certain spins!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:54 PM
SMUGator

I did get another little nugget via PM this morning on the tailwheel design evolution, so I updated my post here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7354856

I think we are all good to go now on the intellectual property issues. I don't know if I was the only one worried about that, but I do feel a lot better now. Maybe just because of the industry I work in, I'm super-sensitive about protecting IP.

Tom
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Tripower455

Do any of you cad wizards have a way to make a nice 3d or at least scale sized, 3 view drawing of the canopy? I think it would be helpful in making a plug......

Thanks......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.