Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

1/5 scale new bright buggy questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 scale new bright buggy questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
bloodyta2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 scale new bright buggy questions

hey guys,
does anyone have info on this?

http://www.target.com/Mega-Max-5-Sca...ode=1243902011

id like to know what esc / motor it has, or if i could replace the motor / esc, maybe duel motor/ esc/ batteries?

any info or body off shots?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
slicrick

Default RE: 1/5 scale new bright buggy questions

the only thing that car is good for is maybe the body ,i would scrap the rest.or use it as a bb gun target
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Bratch96

On now, I bet if you knew what you were doing you could get those things up to 30 mph. You should ask those in the electric car forums.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 AM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one sitting on my living room floor, still unopened in the box.. I was going to buy a smaller Ferrari car that was $49.99 but then I saw this on sale for $99.99 and it was MUCH bigger and had a pistol grip transmitter (the Ferrari had a cheaper looking twin stick transmitter). I've never owned an RC car, truck or buggy prior to this. Not sure if I am going to keep it or not, guess I will decide in the morning.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I have studied the New Bright buggy at Target. It looks pretty nice for $100 but there is NO source for replacement parts. Being an open wheel design and large scale it will be very easy to break plastic suspension arms that support the wheels. Once you break one of the these parts you will have a $100 door stop.

For $120 you could buy a 1:10 scale Duratrax Evader buggy or stadium truck. This truck is very well supported with assembly diagrams, detailed manuals. With the drawings you will know how to remove/replace every single nut, bolt and part on the vehicle. It will also provide all part numbers to buy spares. Duratrax dealers are all over the place in the US and Tower Hobbies online has everything too.

You will need to buy one or two 7.2 volt battery packs and a charger as well.

Check out the Duratrax Evader here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSGU7**&P=ML

Evader exploded diagram:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxd29-exploded.pdf

Evader owners manual:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxd29-manual.pdf
Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
RSEA

kengentry5000,

Thanks for the input on the buggy. I didn't know ANYTHING about RC buggies when I bought this last night. It was an impulse purchase. I thought it was a good deal for $100, when comparing it to significantly smaller RC vehicles in the store that were $50 to $80 (also toy grade). I checked out that Duratrax Evader buggy and I see what you mean about warranty and parts support on it. The transmitter looks almost identical to the one supplied with the BIG 1:5 New Bright buggy, they are also both 27Mhz instead of a hobby grade 75Mhz or 2.4Ghz. Is the transmitter/receiver supplied with the Duratrax of any better quality, as it doesn't really look to be?

At Tower Hobbies to get that 1:10 Duratrax with everything that came with the New Bright, it would cost me $168.99 vs. the $100 that I paid for the New Bright. A good question would be, what is the minimum price for a GOOD (non-toy grade) 1:5 Electric Buggy?? My guess is that it would cost a hell of a lot more than $100..

I was going to take it with me on a trip to my mother's for Christmas, but I've decided to leave it at my house as the forecast says it is going to be too cold and rainy to use the buggy anyway. When I get back I'll make a decision on whether to keep it or get something else. The biggest negative I can see in regards to it is the lack of replacement parts. Perhaps if one was to custom fabricate replacement upper and lower suspension arms out of aluminum, then this big buggy would hold up much better to any hard knocks it might receive..or reinforce the existing ones with aluminum bracings.

After a quick internet search I found a 1:5 GAS Buggy for $550. And as high as $1200! I could not find a 1:5 electric other than this one.. I'm curious now as to where they are and what they cost.

We'll I have to get going. Will look for any responses or comments when I return from my trip!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
RSEA

You can see the results of my brief encounter with this buggy at the following link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81..._2/key_/tm.htm